XPO | Quality in the crapper?

Bigsqueez

TB Lurker
Credits
Is it just me or does it seem like since all the QC people are now temporarily "Con-tent", that quality is going south? I really don't understand this menatllity, can someone please explain. If we are a financially sound company, why are we sucking every last dollar out of our customers? are we trying to chase them away? I understand the re-weigh concept and also making sure freight is compliant with the NMFC and shipped under proper class as well, but we are now charging a weight adjustment fee along with every other possible fee? what gives? Is the bridge loan used to purchase CFI short term/high interst? If we keep it up we won't have any customers left to over charge!

Is it just me or does it seem like since all the QC people are now temporarily "Con-tent", that quality is going south? I really don't understand this menatllity, can someone please explain. If we are a financially sound company, why are we sucking every last dollar out of our customers? are we trying to chase them away? I understand the re-weigh concept and also making sure freight is compliant with the NMFC and shipped under proper class as well, but we are now charging a weight adjustment fee along with every other possible fee? what gives? Is the bridge loan used to purchase CFI short term/high interst? If we keep it up we won't have any customers left to over charge!
These big companies look at damaged freight as the cost of doing business. And those fees are pure profit just like that 21% fuel surcharge. And it does drive customers away, but only after they pay some of those high fees and Con-way profits. Charging all of those fees, you think they could afford more than a .40cent raise.

I noticed Con-way drivers are now more than ever being instructed to notate any accessorial charges they can get.

* Inside deliveries performed that's not notated on D.R.
* Being delayed at a customer.....etc.

I have an old friend, he is a Con-way driver who brokedown a skid to carry a 50 lb box into a customer with 20 dock doors rather than waiting in line to back into a door. He told me he had alot of deliveries to do and did not want to wait in line.
He comes out and told me he wrote "Inside Delivery Performed" on the D.R.
I was truly shocked. That's wrong for his company to do but good for the competitions future acquisition of his business loss. I think he was taking it to the extreme.

These charges have been common business practice. However, they are now focusing their undivided attention at nickle and diming the beloved customer!
Keep doing this so the competiton can absorb your customers and you can economically terminate more people to balances the CFI/Con-way master plan.

I don't know how many LTL companies you've ever worked for there Bigsqueeze?
But I just have to throw my 2 cents in on your thread.
I've been with 15 LTL companies driving city routes,and appoinment runs,since 1966.
After deregulation tore the LTL market apart just after 1980.
All the LTL companies started becoming creative in their freight charges.
Starting with the big three at the time who were Roadway,Consolidated Freightways,And Yellow,in that order.
These big three companies started discounting their rates.
Which started driving the smaller LTL's out of business.
After all these years the discounts have gotten so out of hand,LTL's now have to find more creative ways of making a profit.
Which brings every LTL the add-ons.
So much for a phone call to give a window of time on appointments.
Inside deliveries,and pickup charges,so much a 100 weight.
Lift gate service,fuel surcharges,and the list goes on,and on.
Every LTL gives out their big discount program,then get their profit off the rate add-on's.
We are all in the same kind of cut throat LTL trucking business if,you can't deal with this way to earn a pay check,then what can I say other then do it your companys way,or go find another career.
Like I say,I'm a visiter here as I'm a UPS Freight driver,just throwing in my 2 cents,on this topic!

At the end of the year who's perks and backsides are on the line? Why pursue profits, at all cost, when you preach customer service and the need to outperform FedEx in regards to the "Relative Impacts on Customer Value"? Who's butts are truly on the line here? Who's personal employment is directly influenced by profit and loss?
Go back to an old post for we are asking the same questions over and over again.

"Time For a Dear John Letter?"

i see alot of freight coming damaged from other terminals. freight that comes from tulsa, memphis and from san antonio has alot of damage. trailers that are passing trailer are the biggest problems. i have noticed that our young drivers are learning how to load freight pretty damn good. i really do not see any supervisor input on loading, but, our young guns are doing a great job on the outbound.

our dock is looking better. alot of trash has been.removed and our dunnage has been stacked, along with load bars and tables.

wish i knew what to say for the passing trailers coming into dallas. they really look horrible. guess they did not have the ice classes. brian cameron had all of us take more classes for loading the freight. he set a goal and we made the goal. he also treated us to a steak.

again our young drivers/dockworkers are doing a great job. we are lucky to have them

The fees are indicitive of the arrogance of this company. They aren't grateful for their customers or their employees. AND it shows to both. Everyone should be lucky to have them. Profit for awhile but in the end it's arrogance will undermine any results of success. In time it will be no more! Even you Dockworker will have to move on..........:smilie_132:

Even you Dockworker will have to move on..........:smilie_132:
That just made my day!:1036316054::biglaugh:
I woke up from the Power of the Nightmare awhile ago.
I'm here as an advisor with many deep internal connections that love to leak info.
Isn't that what Jerry D and Dave McC were for awhile?:hide:

I too have many "deep internal connections; however I'm not getting paid for this.......:hysterical: :biglaugh: :party-smiley-017: :rolleyes1: Also you appear to be the only one with a copy of policy and procedure. A real manual!!!! I've quoted policy, but never seen it......

I too have many "deep internal connections; however I'm not getting paid for this.......:hysterical: :party-smiley-017: :rolleyes1: Also you appear to be the only one with a copy of policy and procedure. A real manual!!!! I've quoted policy, but never seen it......
Dockworker, wrote many of the policies in place now! J/K He is a very wise man with an insiders view into things the company does. We are lucky to have his insight to info.:1036316054:

I too have many "deep internal connections; however I'm not getting paid for this.......Also you appear to be the only one with a copy of policy and procedure. A real manual!!!! I've quoted policy, but never seen it......

Appearances can be quite deceiving. I helped develope a copy of the manual as well as memorize that bible. I'll give you a password so you can see the real deal. How's that for internal connections? :27:
Stop by my house so we can compare notes and I will bring you up to snuff. :beerchug:
...Now thats my smoke and mirrors show.

WOW don't this beat all?
Here all of this time I thought you were one of my UPS Freight co-workers Dockworker?
Yes you are a very wise man in my book,you sure had me fooled.

WOW don't this beat all?
Here all of this time I thought you were one of my UPS Freight co-workers Dockworker?
Yes you are a very wise man in my book,you sure had me fooled.

Hmmm I'm so confused now!:smilie_132:
Who am I? I think I am the red headed stepchild trying to fit in.
I think I will now open up the can of smoke and mirrors and be a CEO's son :hide:

Well there you go we never know who the heck we are posting to on this trucking message board?

Oh what the hay I've got nothing to hide myself.

Daddy can I have the keys to your jet next week,I want to check out the Bill's and Dolphins game in your private stadium box.

You don't have to answer by posting,just send me a PM!!

Hmmm I'm so confused now!:smilie_132:
Who am I? I think I am the red headed stepchild trying to fit in.
I think I will now open up the can of smoke and mirrors and be a CEO's son :hide:
Could be fired president kevin h, or dave mc, oh wait a minute, that was left to pursue other interests wasn`t it?:biglaugh:

PLEASE IT SHOULD BE THE SALES JOB TO INFORM THE COSTOMER OF THE RATE!!!!!! not some one perceived to be working the dock. WE NEED OUR Q C s BACK YOU MORONS!!! sorry its a personnel thing . lets suck more money out of our cust, on the back side instead of TELLING them what the will be shipping at..... LETS B.F. OUR CUSTOMERS EVEN MORE TO REDUCE HOW MANY WE HAVE!!!! sorry again just venting.