XPO | Question about hiring

strunguptight

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm new to Con-way and I've got a Question. Why is Con-way hiring so many dsr's. I'm glad they are but just courious why Con-way is hiring when everybody else is laying off or not hiring nobody. I've ask mangement and they just say that there expecting freight to bust open.I didn't think major companys made big desicsion's on expectations.So what do yall guys/gals think.Like I said I'm thankful they are hiring and I like Con-way pretty good.

Depends where you are in the country....I know it's August, but Christmas season will be starting soon, bad economy and all, and if you saw the update video this morning, we actually saw increased volume in July, normally a very stagnant month for freight..The end of the 3rd quarter into the 4th quarter is normally the "slam" time of year...Speculation by all on Wall street and in the business community see a bit of a rebound coming the remainder of the year...

I'm new to Con-way and I've got a Question. Why is Con-way hiring so many dsr's. I'm glad they are but just courious why Con-way is hiring when everybody else is laying off or not hiring nobody. I've ask mangement and they just say that there expecting freight to bust open.I didn't think major companys made big desicsion's on expectations.So what do yall guys/gals think.Like I said I'm thankful they are hiring and I like Con-way pretty good.

They are hiring to reduce costs...i do not know the retention rate for new hires...but i do know what i see...most sadly..do not last too long...in the meantime...conway avoided paying top rate or close to top rate overtime, most of the time they didnt even have to pay too much in bennies to the new guys...and they filled a seat in the mean time...it is all calculated...expecting a freight bust as you were told sounds pretty lame to me...conway has normally hired after a "freight bust"..just like when i got my job back in 1999...Preston had just closed down and we got pounded...the salesmen were even making deliveries in the cars and non-CDL 6 wheelers, as well as the SCM...