XPO | Question.

freightman68

TB Lurker
Credits
Does anyone think that the company really wants drivers to quit? It kinda seems like it to me....but I just don't understand how that could be a good business plan .....so I'm interested in serious replies please.

Its hard to say, I dont feel appreciated for my hard work anymore. Just seems to be a punch in the gut everytime I turn around...

Does anyone think that the company really wants drivers to quit? It kinda seems like it to me....but I just don't understand how that could be a good business plan .....so I'm interested in serious replies please.

I don't think they know what they want. Alot of senior drivers are leaving , but I don't think they realize what that costs them. Dropped trlrs were up 156% in jan. They are so busy looking at their metrics, they aren't using any common sense.

Good Question ???? I myself have been thinking about leaving seriously hard to throw away 11 plus years but getting real tired of the endless games !! They walk us out to our Trucks now like Pre-Schoolers . everyday they come up with a new game to play !!

If you Put a Positive Spin to it though this is the only Place you can Work and get paid to Play Games :clapping::funky::banana::15:

I'm not sure what they want anymore... Anyone that's been here 8 years or more remembers what it was like back then. It was an honour to work here. Very hard to get hired because we only took the best of the best. We use to have common sense, and we didn't need an SWI to figure things out. Now we are run by people who are clearly out of touch with the actual process of driving a truck and moving freight. DSR's moved into management, and took that experience with them, changing things for the better. Now, it's college kids who look at "metrics" ( I absolutely loath that word.) and are great at spreadsheets and computer generated models... But wouldn't know how to operate a hand jack if you held a gun to their head.

We use to be the best of the best. We use to be proud of who we are and what we did.
Now we are just a number.. Like the rest out there.

Thery got rid of people who actually knew how to move freight . People who have years of experience in trucking. Now experience is counted in days.

I think it is very possible somebody, somewhere wants the more senior guys to quit, but nobody would ever admit to that. They tell us in every brainwash video that " drivers are the most important part of the company" or some bs like that.

WELL let me put my spin on it. yes they want us senior drivers to quit! Think about it..... They are putting into our 401k also the older guys they are putting more into the 401k. We have 7-9 weeks vacation. They supliment our retirement insurance. lets face it we are costing them money. Now the flip side, new employees only costs the company wages for time spent. also the newer guys Plus the ones that went to the Conway school for drivers, can be pushed around. so to answer the question without getting more into it..... YES! YEP! OH YA! YOU BET YA!!!!! they want us to quit.. Plus if we quit we can not collect the 2.5years unemployment!!!!! good night

I'm not sure what they want anymore... Anyone that's been here 8 years or more remembers what it was like back then. It was an honour to work here. Very hard to get hired because we only took the best of the best. We use to have common sense, and we didn't need an SWI to figure things out. Now we are run by people who are clearly out of touch with the actual process of driving a truck and moving freight. DSR's moved into management, and took that experience with them, changing things for the better. Now, it's college kids who look at "metrics" ( I absolutely loath that word.) and are great at spreadsheets and computer generated models... But wouldn't know how to operate a hand jack if you held a gun to their head.

We use to be the best of the best. We use to be proud of who we are and what we did.

Our newest FOS...kid right out of college and FMT program calls it a Pump Jack. He didn't like when I corrected him either.

All your points are good.......not the least of which is the 2.5 years of unemployment a. By the time you burn through that it will be 60 months no doubt..QUOTE=beingpissed on;1345696]WELL let me put my spin on it. yes they want us senior drivers to quit! Think about it..... They are putting into our 401k also the older guys they are putting more into the 401k. We have 7-9 weeks vacation. They supliment our retirement insurance. lets face it we are costing them money. Now the flip side, new employees only costs the company wages for time spent. also the newer guys Plus the ones that went to the Conway school for drivers, can be pushed around. so to answer the question without getting more into it..... YES! YEP! OH YA! YOU BET YA!!!!! they want us to quit.. Plus if we quit we can not collect the 2.5years unemployment!!!!! good night[/QUOTE]

You are exactly right. They have been wanting us to quit are retire for about the last 10 years.I am very glad I retired 3 1/2 years ago. But Ido miss all my friends ,after being their for 20 years.

. there is no more appreciation for bright hardworking individuals. if they get you to leave they can replace you with a starting pay dsr's who don't have much pto time. and they will accept drivers right out of school who only know what they're told to do. non thinking droids if you know what I mean. I for the last 3 yrs have felt like they have been trying to push out some long time drivers. It will actually help their bottom line.
I have 20 yrs with this company and realize the people in charge are not trucking people and sometimes their numbers game do not work but not one of them have the courage to say we made a mistake. sorry I went a little off topic but to answer your question a lot of people I know and speak to feel just as you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
that would be YES and reason is they can hire new guys at bottom of pay scale again !!! DUH !!! its all about the money !!!

Well said......I will soon start my 20th year here, I try not to think about how things were....the proud sense of working here will most likely never reappear. I recently had to read an SWI on the proper way to use a wheel chock....shortly after that I came to the conclusion that I truly do not care which direction this company goes in anymore.....Since the late 90s it seems like Con-way has been lost in finding where they should stand in this industry. Try this ....try that...do this ...then that...only to find what seemed like a good idea...or what we became ok with....would come to an end as quick as it started....and now "lean" wow! lean is fantastic in manufacturing.....transportation? ......sure, its nice to be organized, neat, and come to work to a place that can stay that way.....but when is comes to reading and following an SWI on how to use a wheel chock...or write out a red tag....uggh! forget it.....This has been my "new" plan for a while now....Just go with what ever they want .....do anything to stay under their radar....and act as though I have "some" interest in their new ways....and getting used to the "Nannie style" of Con-way's new operating model.....and of course, driving in a way as to never make that red light stay solid on the drive cam.....yes...I just don't care what con-way does on does not do anymore, sure my outlook could change for the better....but as long as I'm doing the right thing for the customer and myself, it doesn't matter what their flavor of the moment is......I'll just have a taste and spit it out when their not looking.

SWI for a wheel chock!!! Your flipping killing me!!! An I bet it was wrong too!! I like your post..........and you touched on my biggest problem with lean......The customers. ....they care more about their policies than they care about the customer. We were informed that we WILL take our lunch between the 4th an the 6th. That's great except when you don't leave the yard until noon an you have a hundred mile ride before you even get started. .....sometimes you have to cut a corner to get the freight off or on.........you may not have time to measure 6 skids at this pickup or you wont get to the next one before it closes......get 8t on the truck an they can measure it when you get back.....but they would rather not service the customer and have you follow the policy......i just cant do it.....QUOTE=JstBlendinIN;1346008]Well said......I will soon start my 20th year here, I try not to think about how things were....the proue of working here will most likely never rer. I recently had to read an SWI on the proper way to use a wheel chock....shortly after that I came to the conclusion that I truly do not care which direction this company goes in anymore.....Since the late 90s it seems like Con-way has been lost in finding where they should stand in this industry. Try this ....try that...do this ...then that...only to find what seemed like a good idea...or what we became ok with....would come to an end as quick as it started....and now "lean" wow! lean is fantastic in manufacturing.....transportation? ......sure, its nice to be organized, neat, and come to work to a place that can stay that way.....but when is comes to reading and following an SWI on how to use a wheel chock...or write out a red tag....uggh! forget it.....This has been my "new" plan for a while now....Just go with what ever they want .....do anything to stay under their radar....and act as though I have "some" interest in their new ways....and getting used to the "Nannie style" of Con-way's new operating model.....and of course, driving in a way as to never make that red light stay solid on the drive cam.....yes...I just don't care what con-way does on does not do anymore, sure my outlook could change for the better....but as long as I'm doing the right thing for the customer and myself, it doesn't matter what their flavor of the moment is......I'll just have a taste and spit it out when their not looking.[/QUOTE]

Kinda back to the original point. Lean is designed to make things idiot proof,why? So they can easily change the rules and run out thousands of senior drivers, while keeping guys that have six months in. Case in point Fed Up did this in 08. Then hire off the street to replace the people they screwed six months earlier. Another example of this is automatic transmissions, this allows them to hire drivers with the bare minimum experience and put them on the street .

I worked as a machinist making high technology diamond tipped drill bits n reamers back around 1995-1999. I remember when we went through the process of becoming ISO 9001 compliant. This lean program reminds me somewhat of the ISO 9001 process.

Like someone mentioned earlier, It's nice having stuff where it belongs, shovels, brooms, screwdrivers, and just about anything else we use. The list is deep at our barn, it's nice. I can't go through the list lol but air lines, bulbs, ambers, mirrors and just about every tool in the house has a spot and that's where it is when you need it, so I like it. I was very impressed when I was first shown how organized they are at this particular barn.

I have my differences with management, got into it yesterday with them again over a write up I got for the dumbest thing but I personally don't have anything against lean at this point.

I worked as a machinist making high technology diamond tipped drill bits n reamers back around 1995-1999. I remember when we went through the process of becoming ISO 9001 compliant. This lean program reminds me somewhat of the ISO 9001 process.

Like someone mentioned earlier, It's nice having stuff where it belongs, shovels, brooms, screwdrivers, and just about anything else we use. The list is deep at our barn, it's nice. I can't go through the list lol but air lines, bulbs, ambers, mirrors and just about every tool in the house has a spot and that's where it is when you need it, so I like it. I was very impressed when I was first shown how organized they are at this particular barn.

I have my differences with management, got into it yesterday with them again over a write up I got for the dumbest thing but I personally don't have anything against lean at this point.

Basically in a round about way your trying to say your part of the "lean team"..................Good for you man, I would quit before I had to go sit in the room for hours and come up with some of the crap that these guys come up with, but if it works for you then that's good:butt kiss: What I hate is watching the millions being wasted. Out of paper towels been this way for two weeks. Asked TM about it he got all pissed off. Wait I'm not the one that came out with this lean. Out paper towels and abut out toilet paper shouldn't there be some in the supply room? I thought this was part of the lean process. Guess when I told him we should have some in supply room this is part of lean it really pissed him off:poster_oops: :(