XPO | Quit!/Dock Work

Drivetolive

TB Lurker
Credits
I might be starting to see what you all are talking about. Last night we had a driver quit (first one since I am here). He could stand the dock work. After talking with some of the veteran drivers, I am starting too understand what's really going on.

How many people are leaving at you're places? From what I am told, if you have a heartbeat, your hired. Why don't they just hire some full time dock workers at each barn and get the moral up, somewhat. It's the biggest complaint from most people (IMHO).

Since seniority means nothing too conway, what's a person too do? I am not thinking about leaving but that might change soon!

Dock work is part of the Con-way way. You should have been told that when you were hired. If you want to be a steering wheel holder I might suggest you look for a new job. Have a nice day :smilie_132:

I agree with Roadeo. What has always set us above the rest is our "one size fits all" attitude. We hook em, we drive em, we load and unload them... we do it all. In 1983 this was all new to the LTL world and everyone took ownership in everything they did. Not because we were told we were an owner, but because through hard work and dedication we saw our efforts appreciated by the customers and the management.
This company handles only about one tenth of the fingerprint (hand freight) freight now compared to ten years ago. Todays dock work is a piece of cake!

Dock work is part of the Con-way way. You should have been told that when you were hired. If you want to be a steering wheel holder I might suggest you look for a new job. Have a nice day :smilie_132:

This is a little bit uncalled for. This guy is a newbie at CON-way and he is just figuring out how hard he might get the shaft. He never said he wanted to be a steering wheel holder, or give any indication that he is lazy. He is finding out what the rest of us already know. Take it easy on the new guy, and have a great day.

I agree with Roadeo. What has always set us above the rest is our "one size fits all" attitude. We hook em, we drive em, we load and unload them... we do it all. In 1983 this was all new to the LTL world and everyone took ownership in everything they did. Not because we were told we were an owner, but because through hard work and dedication we saw our efforts appreciated by the customers and the management.
This company handles only about one tenth of the fingerprint (hand freight) freight now compared to ten years ago. Todays dock work is a piece of cake!

No the dock work is not that bad, but cut his guy a break! He never said he had a problem with the dock work!!! ARRRRG!!! He is making a much bigger point than that. Open your eyes. And by the way, it sounds like you've been here a while. I hope you enjoy your 45% or 60% of your retirement, depending on which side of 20 years you're on. Have a good day! :1036316054:

...Open your eyes. And by the way, it sounds like you've been here a while. I hope you enjoy your 45% or 60% of your retirement, depending on which side of 20 years you're on. Have a good day! :1036316054:

Well there ya go... you went and decided you know more than I do about my own retirement options. Here's a little advise, free your mind and the rest will follow. Do some research and learn the facts about our retirement options. You won't hear me bad mouth our current plans or accuse the company of stealing anything from me. It doesn't matter if it is Con-Way or General Electric, times have changed and traditional pensions are becoming a thing of the past. The following link provides facts, not fiction or opinions on the value of a properly managed 401k.
http://www.bc.edu/centers/crr/issues/ib_52.pdf

From here we can probably agree to disagree!

have a great weekend

With conway being a 5 year ladder and considering what 2 years added time to invest the cash, add's up very quickly. This along with not having to slug freight and maybe getting paid .50 - $1 an hour is the #1 reason people are leaving. Include that with what conway has taken away and what the other companies our the pay off could be right.

Well there ya go... you went and decided you know more than I do about my own retirement options. Here's a little advise, free your mind and the rest will follow. Do some research and learn the facts about our retirement options. You won't hear me bad mouth our current plans or accuse the company of stealing anything from me. It doesn't matter if it is Con-Way or General Electric, times have changed and traditional pensions are becoming a thing of the past. The following link provides facts, not fiction or opinions on the value of a properly managed 401k.
http://www.bc.edu/centers/crr/issues/ib_52.pdf

From here we can probably agree to disagree!

have a great weekend

Ok, I am sooooo sorry. I didn't realize you blue bloods had it so good. Well excuse me for not getting so exited for CON-way. Just like everybody else they told me one thing to get me in the door and then changed the whole story. I don't have enough time in the company to have been vested in the pension, but that was one of the big things that attracted me to CON-way. I wonder what they're going to take next. Will they raise our insurance contribution? Will they stop ICP? What will it be? CON-way used to be set apart from other companies by a wonderful group of benefits. Now its just like every other company that could do its employees better but won't. Oh, by the way, I got the call I was waiting on yesterday, so I'll be leaving CON-way. Good riddance! :tongue0002:

Ok, I am sooooo sorry. I didn't realize you blue bloods had it so good. Well excuse me for not getting so exited for CON-way. Just like everybody else they told me one thing to get me in the door and then changed the whole story. I don't have enough time in the company to have been vested in the pension, but that was one of the big things that attracted me to CON-way. I wonder what they're going to take next. Will they raise our insurance contribution? Will they stop ICP? What will it be? CON-way used to be set apart from other companies by a wonderful group of benefits. Now its just like every other company that could do its employees better but won't. Oh, by the way, I got the call I was waiting on yesterday, so I'll be leaving CON-way. Good riddance! :tongue0002:
we've had four guys leave and with in a week they all have call looking to get there job back.so to me that means the grass is not always greener on the other side.

we've had four guys leave and with in a week they all have call looking to get there job back.so to me that means the grass is not always greener on the other side.
I've seen the same thing. It's all how you approach the potential job. Ask many many questions before you decide to jump ship.
Don't go for the almighty dollar...it will come in time.
Also, never burn bridges with any company you intend to leave. Leave the job professionally, with the politically correct wording (Pursing other interests, not going to the competition) and you might just be welcomed back.

I made a spelling error when starting this thread. One of the moderators must have corrected that. Thank you, that's very nice that moderators would do such a little thing, maybe conway should approach the moral situation like this, it might keep some great people from leaving.

This is a little bit uncalled for. This guy is a newbie at CON-way and he is just figuring out how hard he might get the shaft. He never said he wanted to be a steering wheel holder, or give any indication that he is lazy. He is finding out what the rest of us already know. Take it easy on the new guy, and have a great day.
I'm not being hard on the guy and I never said lazy.Its just the facts of how the company operates. Con-way is not your "normal" trucking company.They do things different and its been working since 1983. I just hope he was told the facts before he started. Have a good day

I've seen the same thing. It's all how you approach the potential job. Ask many many questions before you decide to jump ship.
Don't go for the almighty dollar...it will come in time.
Also, never burn bridges with any company you intend to leave. Leave the job professionally, with the politically correct wording (Pursing other interests, not going to the competition) and you might just be welcomed back.
I thought only Presidents and board members could leave to pursue other interests! A driver usually is walked to his car, if that ain`t a family feeling what is?:hide:

I thought only Presidents and board members could leave to pursue other interests! A driver usually is walked to his car, if that ain`t a family feeling what is?:hide:
Yah...the Con-way walk of shame. Seen it many many times.
I've seen where they will allow you to fulfill your two week notice. Most of the time it's the "leave now" attitude.
Eitherway, if you leave in good terms, you will most likely be welcomed back. I've seen that happen a few times.

Please write back and let us know how the new job is going. Were are you going?

I made a spelling error when starting this thread. One of the moderators must have corrected that. Thank you, that's very nice that moderators would do such a little thing, maybe conway should approach the moral situation like this, it might keep some great people from leaving.
your weclome.

ok im not a driver but conway isnt bad at all i enjoy my job most days and i realize other places arent going to pay what i make. and give the time off or holidays and everythng ive turned down numerous offers.:funky: :smilie_132:

ok im not a driver but conway isnt bad at all i enjoy my job most days and i realize other places arent going to pay what i make. and give the time off or holidays and everythng ive turned down numerous offers.:funky: :smilie_132:
You know as well as I do that the mechanics in this area our paid well under scale. That why every shop in our area is so under staffed. I am just glad the ones we have have a clue.