XPO | Quit!/Dock Work

You know as well as I do that the mechanics in this area our paid well under scale. That why every shop in our area is so under staffed. I am just glad the ones we have have a clue.

some palces pay more sure but work you like a dog but most pay less alot less ive got a buddy that works for ats been there for 8 years and makes like 17 an hour and thats an insult. :nutkick: glad to hear you think we've got a clue at least most of us in the company:1036316054:

if you dont like use the door you came in

I might be starting to see what you all are talking about. Last night we had a driver quit (first one since I am here). He could stand the dock work. After talking with some of the veteran drivers, I am starting too understand what's really going on.

How many people are leaving at you're places? From what I am told, if you have a heartbeat, your hired. Why don't they just hire some full time dock workers at each barn and get the moral up, somewhat. It's the biggest complaint from most people (IMHO).

Since seniority means nothing too conway, what's a person too do? I am not thinking about leaving but that might change soon!

you knew what was expected from the get go so don't start crying like a veteran Conway driver. com on you are acking like you have been there for 20 years. Rooster nuts!:nutkick: :holysheep: :hissyfit:

you knew what was expected from the get go so don't start crying like a veteran Conway driver. com on you are acking like you have been there for 20 years. Rooster nuts!:nutkick: :holysheep: :hissyfit:

I am not complaining, please take the time and read again my statement. Sorry it's my opinion and I am sharing it (open forum). And you are acting like a 13 year old! This is the second post where you are starting with me, what's up with that? If you have a problem with me, keep it too yourself. I have not said anything too you but you are attacking me in 2 different places now, get a life or get out!

oh where those your individual post so you are taking everything personal, well dont I am sure I have a lot more time invested in con-way than you ever will and all i was saying is the job was explained and you seem to be upset. there others hiring and if you went to Dave m himself he would tell you like he told management if you don't like it get out quit bad mouthing the company and complaining and bringing down the moral

If you two want to make this personal then take it to a PM.
Management is welcome here but you do not carry anymore weight here than all the rest of the members.

oh where those your individual post so you are taking everything personal, well dont I am sure I have a lot more time invested in con-way than you ever will and all i was saying is the job was explained and you seem to be upset. there others hiring and if you went to Dave m himself he would tell you like he told management if you don't like it get out quit bad mouthing the company and complaining and bringing down the moral

You give Drivetolive a lot of credit stating that he has the power to affect moral.

Personally, I feel that responsibility falls on management.

reference

new guy 90% dock 10% driving . couple years in 50% dock 50% driving. ten years 25% dock 75% driving . :butt kiss: 10% dock 25% wasting time 65% driving

the job was explained and you seem to be upset.

The job wasn't explained to me, I was flat out lied to. If I'd have been told the truth, I wouldn't have hired on. But I did, didn't like a lot of it, but I've stuck it out almost 10 yrs now. The terminal has grown considerably, so I've gain a lot of seniority in that time.
I take trainees on linehaul and they've told me that they were lied to as well. Many quit when they discover what the job really entails.
Oh, and they have also expressed they're distain for arrogant dispatchers that think they're #1
:nutkick: :chairshot: :hysterical:

i got new for Dave M he's the one bring down MORAL.

we've had four guys leave and with in a week they all have call looking to get there job back.so to me that means the grass is not always greener on the other side.

I have seen the same thing. I know a driver who quit and came back, and he said that coming back to CON-way was the biggest mistake he ever made. Now he's gone again. And now I'm gone and I'm glad. Everyone is different. Some people have different needs than others. Some people "need" to work at CON-way and put up with all that crap for personal reasons. I don't need it and I won't take it. I'm glad I'm gone! Good luck to all.

I have seen the same thing. I know a driver who quit and came back, and he said that coming back to CON-way was the biggest mistake he ever made. Now he's gone again. And now I'm gone and I'm glad. Everyone is different. Some people have different needs than others. Some people "need" to work at CON-way and put up with all that crap for personal reasons. I don't need it and I won't take it. I'm glad I'm gone! Good luck to all.

You will never get any time in if you keep starting over. You will always be at the bottom of the list, no matter where you are. I'm sure you will quit your next job as well. Because, you don't take crap from anybody.

You will never get any time in if you keep starting over. You will always be at the bottom of the list, no matter where you are. I'm sure you will quit your next job as well. Because, you don't take crap from anybody.

I didn't either, and been through a lot of jobs. Still don't here at Con-way but have 8yrs in and don't plan on going anywhere. There are ways to not take crap without blowing up and quiting in anger. Tm tried to get rid of me for a while, but I'm still here and we actually got to the place where we get along. Neither of us are perfect, in fact we found we have something in common...similar character flaws. He also knows that if he asks me a question I'll be straight with him and not try to :butt kiss: .
One thing to keep in mind is that EVERYONE you encounter in your employ here at Con-way is getting $h!t from someone over them. They've got a job to do, just as we do, but I suspect many are going more crap than most drivers. Try and find some common ground. Also consider that we, as drivers, can at least we can use safety as a safe guard, in many cases. Supervisers don't have that luxury.

That's right some need personal abuse

it is like when the spouse beats the wife you stay because you know thats all your going to get it is abusive!!!

thats right supervisors are people too with feelings

I didn't either, and been through a lot of jobs. Still don't here at Con-way but have 8yrs in and don't plan on going anywhere. There are ways to not take crap without blowing up and quiting in anger. Tm tried to get rid of me for a while, but I'm still here and we actually got to the place where we get along. Neither of us are perfect, in fact we found we have something in common...similar character flaws. He also knows that if he asks me a question I'll be straight with him and not try to :butt kiss: .
One thing to keep in mind is that EVERYONE you encounter in your employ here at Con-way is getting $h!t from someone over them. They've got a job to do, just as we do, but I suspect many are going more crap than most drivers. Try and find some common ground. Also consider that we, as drivers, can at least we can use safety as a safe guard, in many cases. Supervisers don't have that luxury.

we all have bosses above us and it is a shame that the rules are not consistant at each barn, you may be conway dedicated but it is only because you may be afaid of the unknown or you just like the abuse. Do you like watching the new guys come in and be happy for the first two days and then leave broken harted, they have families too and they are people it sucks rooster nuts:butt kiss: :nutkick: :funky:

we all have bosses above us and it is a shame that the rules are not consistant at each barn, you may be conway dedicated but it is only because you may be afaid of the unknown or you just like the abuse. Do you like watching the new guys come in and be happy for the first two days and then leave broken harted, they have families too and they are people it sucks rooster nuts:butt kiss: :nutkick: :funky:

Con-way dedicated? You must be joking, right? {reminds me of a woman in a leopard print outfit....damn HOT video!} And no...hell no! I don't care to see the anguish this job causes many. That is in part why I volunteer to take trainees on my run. I try to give them a heads-up as to what to expect and how to deal with the supervisers. But still with all that, the fact is this job isn't for everyone and it is also a fact that most young people aren't used to working this hard. It demands a lot of time {not recommended for a young family}, effort, flexiblity and a thick skin. Also the way many dsrs approach it makes it difficult for new hires. Things they do and/or allow to be done add pressures to the job that are unnecessary. Maybe I'm too far removed from the difficulties of being new, for I realize things are much easier for me than for others given my seniority, but I try to remember how I felt and much of that was attributed to the pressures applied by supervisers trying to "make their numbers". If I can help a new hire understand the dynamics involved, maybe it'll help him to deal with it. :nutkick:
Oh and p.s. I just don't get the whole "rooster nuts" thing.

Wow

Hey I am new to the board, but I worked for conway for almost 2 full years, I like the dock work it is the only way to make extra money if you run the road. In the city it can be much and trust me I worked at a no. 1 mid size terminal avg 570K outbound a night. Its hard but, if you go anywhere else it is just as bad if not worse ( fedex freight, Fedex Nat they are all the same. Enjoy the fact you only pay 1 to 2 perc for med ins and enjoy the home time with your family. I am even thinkin bout comin back

Hey I am new to the board, but I worked for conway for almost 2 full years, I like the dock work it is the only way to make extra money if you run the road. In the city it can be much and trust me I worked at a no. 1 mid size terminal avg 570K outbound a night. Its hard but, if you go anywhere else it is just as bad if not worse ( fedex freight, Fedex Nat they are all the same. Enjoy the fact you only pay 1 to 2 perc for med ins and enjoy the home time with your family. I am even thinkin bout comin back

It seems everyone who worked or works for conway always compares everything to fed ex. What about working for some of the other big boys like Roadway, Yellow, New Penn etc. It seems like fed ex & conway are similar. I don't hear the same complaints from the other ltl companies, are they much better? I suppose by the way people talk around here.