Quiz for the old-timers PIC

EX396

TB Veteran
Credits
Came across this old sales flyer from a previous employer of mine. Artwork done in 1988. How many of these cartoon caricatures of the competition can you name? Any of them still around under the same name? I'm thinking NONE of them still exist.

Scan-3.md.jpg I remember/recognize almost all of them, but stumped on a few.

Oh that’s right. You’re a California guy.
Love the Con-weigh. Was the football player supposed to be Pro Express???
My Viking would’ve seized that truck.
Not quite getting the DiSalvo wrecked hot rod.
Time DC?
Love the Crescent
The TNT carriers
I’m drawing blank on the soldier and half moon guy.

I'm with you folks on all of them. I think the Condor and Overnite are the other two remaining. I was looking for something referencing PIE.

I had forgotten about PRO Express (the Rams player).

Industrial Freight Systems was only around another 4 or 5 years after that first flyer was created. A bit too big for their britches, I'd say. Owner ego had them opening up terminals anywhere and everywhere, providing some of the best next day service in the state but at what cost? Had us trying to starve out everybody else with service, problem was we didn't have the reserves to last as long as some of those others when hauling at such huge discounts. Lots of robbing Peter to pay Paul during those later years. Opened a terminal in SFO/Santa Rosa after this flyer, never did open Redding. Acquired Corona Trucking which added a whole lot of redundancy in Southern California as well. Corona Trucking owner was a solid guy. Glad he did well in the deal.

IFS-2.md.jpg

Lol. That map maker wasn’t too sure where Fontana was.
Would see a kid (lol I was a kid too) from Industrial at Mead Products in Garden Grove. Would always shoot the BS with him. When IF closed, didn’t see him for a while until one day a Conway truck pulled up next to me and it was him. Would see him at some stops every now and then for years, until he told me he was quitting to help run a family business. Years later, I saw an Estes truck coming up the other side of the street and, you guessed it, it was him back in the business.
It’s fun to remember the Cal/west coast regionals. Mountain Valley is still around but I believe they were bought by someone else.

Would see a kid (lol I was a kid too) from Industrial at Mead Products in Garden Grove. Would always shoot the BS with him. When IF closed, didn’t see him for a while until one day a Conway truck pulled up next to me and it was him. Would see him at some stops every now and then for years, until he told me he was quitting to help run a family business. Years later, I saw an Estes truck coming up the other side of the street and, you guessed it, it was him back in the business.
It’s fun to remember the Cal/west coast regionals. Mountain Valley is still around but I believe they were bought by someone else.
I never dreamed you would shoot the BS with anyone!

Looking at that map, I had forgotten how big IF was. All those terminals provided great coverage. I think Viking only had 2 more than them.

Yep, put it West of the 15. I don't know who drew it. After Industrial purchased Corona Trucking we also had terminals in Chula Vista, Corona, Indio and Bell just in Southern California also advertised having a terminal in "Bishop" but it really just a resident driver who had a loading dock/ramp on his property ;)

Yep, put it West of the 15. I don't know who drew it. After Industrial purchased Corona Trucking we also had terminals in Chula Vista, Corona, Indio and Bell just in Southern California also advertised having a terminal in "Bishop" but it really just a resident driver who had a loading dock/ramp on his property ;)
Thats a Terminal.

Now it might be a bit fancy to call it that. A dock is a dock. If its made for a trucker to get in... oh wait.