XPO | racial jokes

prezars

TB Regular
Credits
Heard that a senior driver out of ULV was fired last friday for making ⓇⒶⒸⒾⓈⓉ jokes about Obama. How true is this? Supposedly this guy is a two million miler. I hope its not true if anything he should of gotten an LOI, but firing a guy for that is going overboard.

Heard that a senior driver out of ULV was fired last friday for making ⓇⒶⒸⒾⓈⓉ jokes about Obama. How true is this? Supposedly this guy is a two million miler. I hope its not true if anything he should of gotten an LOI, but firing a guy for that is going overboard.

If it's true, he should have gotten fired. This country's working very hard to get beyond this stupidity. There's definitely no need for it at the workplace. There should be zero tolerance.

i think ppl are too sensitive....

i obviously didnt know the guy so i dont know if he was just poking fun or not
nor the severity of his comments...

...but i see ppl these days who laugh at others and other races, but when it's their turn all of a sudden the smiles turn into frowns and their panties get all tied up in a knot....

jesam i understand what your trying to say and some ppl do take it overboard...but really? no tolerance? maybe some ppl deserve it....

You can't be doing that kind of stuff at work. If he is that stupid, then he needs to be fired. It's harrasment and is against company policy...

i think ppl are too sensitive....

i obviously didnt know the guy so i dont know if he was just poking fun or not
nor the severity of his comments...

...but i see ppl these days who laugh at others and other races, but when it's their turn all of a sudden the smiles turn into frowns and their panties get all tied up in a knot....

jesam i understand what your trying to say and some ppl do take it overboard...but really? no tolerance? maybe some ppl deserve it....

Shouldn't be tolerated at work, by any race.

I think that it would depend on the people that witnessed it, if any, the actual comments made and how "racial" they were. There are a few words that can end anyones carrier, no matter how many miles they have driven. Dicipline would be based off of this.

We all hear off colored comments everyday and some have to be addressed and others you can ignore.

If it's true, he should have gotten fired. This country's working very hard to get beyond this stupidity. There's definitely no need for it at the workplace. There should be zero tolerance.
I have no idea about the circumstances surrounding this case, but "zero tolerance" is never a good idea. That mindset gets kids suspended for drawing a gun on a piece of paper or having an aspirin at school. It would also get you fired for stopping to talk to another driver on the dock since, technically, you're stealing time. Let's try to stay away from the slippery slopes, OK?

i hope that these newly revived policies on harassment and racial slurs is enforced fairly and consistently and not just catered to one category or demographics.

they should be and should have been from the beginning, all im saying is it's starting to smell fishy when you put into context recent events

yeah i dont joke about any race, their is no such thing as people are to sensitive,you could have a child that is autistic and struggle every day with caring for that child,and then go to work and some jerk is standing making jokes about autistic people, you can react to it in a negative way but that jerk will just tell you that you are to sensitive and over reacting to the comment he just made,termination is what this jerk in this instance deserved

I have no idea about the circumstances surrounding this case, but "zero tolerance" is never a good idea. That mindset gets kids suspended for drawing a gun on a piece of paper or having an aspirin at school. It would also get you fired for stopping to talk to another driver on the dock since, technically, you're stealing time. Let's try to stay away from the slippery slopes, OK?

You're mixing apples with oranges. At last check, I thought we were talking about race. Let's try and address one issue at a time and not muddle things up. It's apparent whatever's said was severe enough to get the guy canned. It takes 'unity' to make things work, this kind of nonsense 'divides'.

:hide: I'm gonna go out on a limb here....if this were true, that a 2 million miler was fired for a racial slur, joke, whatever, it would have spread like wildfire on the L/H grapevine.
I have not heard a word about it, and there are people from all over the country on this board and no one is confirming it.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here.....bet it IS a rumor! :smilie_132:

:hide: I'm gonna go out on a limb here....if this were true, that a 2 million miler was fired for a racial slur, joke, whatever, it would have spread like wildfire on the L/H grapevine.
I have not heard a word about it, and there are people from all over the country on this board and no one is confirming it.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here.....bet it IS a rumor! :smilie_132:

No longtime ... it is not a rumor. There are facts behind the story. It did happen. This guy made a bad choice on who he shared a joke with and the timing of it.

Regardless of what this person accomplished. No one is exempt from being terminated for violating the Harassment policy.
I know Sexual Harassment has Zero tolerance so should the Harassment.

Supposedly, Con-way assumes and trusts they have hired mature responsible adults and expects each and everyone to treat others in the same regard.

Letting this person slide because of his accomplishments would set a negative precedence.

Bottom line: Don't try to be a funny guy/gal in front of others, because someone within ear shot might become offended. Keep your trap shut with those types of jokes.