XPO | random thoughts

imported_ssadab

TB Lurker
Credits
Tractors:
AGE of FLEET: Someone in maintenance made the decision a few years ago to base retired tractors based on milage, not age. This is why we have 15 year old tractors still around.
Training mechanics to work on tractors up to 15 years old? Could it be that they can't decide what kind of tractors to buy? I seen single axle KWs, Internationals, and Sterling/Fords. Sleepers- Freightliner, Sterling, Volvos. Plus they are talking about converting CFI KWs to daycabs.

Did they just figure out that maybe we should have been balencing out milage on tractors years ago? They just figured out that low pro have lower rolling resistance. Someones on top of things.

Branding: Are you really gonna compare our available funds to UPS/FedEx? Lets compare apples to apples. How do we compare to Yellow. USF,Dayton, etc...

140% return...I can pull numbers out of :eck13: too. Merchandising, how much is bought by CONWAY?? Does this count in the numbers?? Truck series pulls in at best a 1 share. Thats 1% of TVs turned on at the time. R&L sponsors Kennseth.

Vacations: Mighty nice of you guys to admit that we lost a years vacation. How does this work for employees already on that plan??? Did they have to lose vacation time too???:hide:

ICP: anybody remember last year or year before, midyear they change parameters by double requirements for one more shipment

Just my opinion here but I feel that the waters were tested sometime ago to gauge reactions. Apparently test results were favorable and now were are WFO on the take away plan. I feel that since there has not been an uprising of any signifigance this has been the green light for continuing to put pressure on employees wages and benefits. We(the drivers) are the foundation of this company and without a solid foundation our house will crumble. I'm afraid there will be an exodus of drivers like never seen before when things turn around with the economy. For years I thought Con-way would be my last job but with a couple of decades to go till retirement I am not sure now due to the way we are being defecated on.

Just my opinion here but I feel that the waters were tested sometime ago to gauge reactions. Apparently test results were favorable and now were are WFO on the take away plan. I feel that since there has not been an uprising of any signifigance this has been the green light for continuing to put pressure on employees wages and benefits. We(the drivers) are the foundation of this company and without a solid foundation our house will crumble. I'm afraid there will be an exodus of drivers like never seen before when things turn around with the economy. For years I thought Con-way would be my last job but with a couple of decades to go till retirement I am not sure now due to the way we are being defecated on.
I don't know about other parts of the country, but here in the south, we are the lowest paid in the industry(with respect to top pay). There won't be a mass exodus. Even with a 5% pay-cut, folks are not going to give up seniority, vacation, etc. The pay will even out again in about 3 years or so. I don't trust this company with the current leadership, but I'm not going anywhere. If you or I started over, we would be making a lot less than 5% pay-cut.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but here in the south, we are the lowest paid in the industry(with respect to top pay). There won't be a mass exodus. Even with a 5% pay-cut, folks are not going to give up seniority, vacation, etc. The pay will even out again in about 3 years or so. I don't trust this company with the current leadership, but I'm not going anywhere. If you or I started over, we would be making a lot less than 5% pay-cut.

That's an accurate conclusion...how many companies are going to give you 5 weeks off at the start with an opportunity to bid your time off ahead of everyone else already there..???

If I leave here I will be done with the transportation industry. There are other areas I would like to explore. It really is not a bad deal here,but with constsantly diminishing compensation I'm afraid you could end up with less at your careers end than you have now. This constant chipping away of my pay is really getting old and it has nothing to do with the economy. A steady decline has been ongoing for a while now. Raises not keeping pace with inflation,increased deductables and premiums,taking longer to complete your run,etc.

If I leave here I will be done with the transportation industry. There are other areas I would like to explore. It really is not a bad deal here,but with constsantly diminishing compensation I'm afraid you could end up with less at your careers end than you have now. This constant chipping away of my pay is really getting old and it has nothing to do with the economy. A steady decline has been ongoing for a while now. Raises not keeping pace with inflation,increased deductables and premiums,taking longer to complete your run,etc.
Astute observations.

It seems as if everyone is only thinking of the "now". What about the retirement years? Can anyone really afford to live on $1,259 per month? That is all that is left of mine and anyone else that was "lucky" enough to get in on the so-called company pension. The company has tried to make us all believe that the 401K is the best thing since (insert whatever you want) and that all companies/corporations are doing this. Most of them are. But it doesn't make it right. If you are under 50 years old, as I am, I would suggest you run as fast as a far away from CON-way, or any other LTL company, as possible. Even during the recession that we are in, there are plenty of jobs, WITH PENSIONS, to be had.

Good luck to all.

It seems as if everyone is only thinking of the "now". What about the retirement years? Can anyone really afford to live on $1,259 per month? That is all that is left of mine and anyone else that was "lucky" enough to get in on the so-called company pension. The company has tried to make us all believe that the 401K is the best thing since (insert whatever you want) and that all companies/corporations are doing this. Most of them are. But it doesn't make it right. If you are under 50 years old, as I am, I would suggest you run as fast as a far away from CON-way, or any other LTL company, as possible. Even during the recession that we are in, there are plenty of jobs, WITH PENSIONS, to be had.

Good luck to all.

I have said this before...the glory days of LTL are over. The $60K-$75K+ are not going to be tolerated any more. The people in charge are finding others who are willing to do it for less. And this economy isn't helping the cause one bit.

The whole 'chipping away' thing is painfully obvious. The last round of enhancements pretty well spelled out the end result. Regardless of whether Con-Way needed to do this or not...the end result is going to be 'this is what we think you are willing to settle for' and thats the way it is.

And its not just Con-Way...its the whole freaking industry. The UAW and the LTL industry are/were the last of the great paying jobs...the auto makers are in the tank...the UAW is going to take a major hit before this is all over.

Never mind of what your postion requires...the talking heads don't see it that way...never mind the years of experience you have amassed getting to the point of being able to drive in all kinds of conditions and circumstances...never mind the level of professionalism you exude...it doesn't matter anymore...

The talking heads are bean counters...the newer management types are college grads that have never been and have no wish to be in a truck to see what you and I do everyday.

You say 50 and under!!!...I say get the hell out now...while the getting is good regardless of your age.

I have been looking since November when the 're-engineering' closed my old barn...haven't found what I am looking for just as yet...but I will.

This business requires a lot and used to give a lot...but not anymore. When the economy rebounds (and it will) the LTL industry may just see a mass exodus...when all the benefits and reasons to stay for the long haul have been eliminated...why stay???

We'll see!

Rat :shift:

I have said this before...the glory days of LTL are over. The $60K-$75K+ are not going to be tolerated any more. The people in charge are finding others who are willing to do it for less. And this economy isn't helping the cause one bit.

The whole 'chipping away' thing is painfully obvious. The last round of enhancements pretty well spelled out the end result. Regardless of whether Con-Way needed to do this or not...the end result is going to be 'this is what we think you are willing to settle for' and thats the way it is.

And its not just Con-Way...its the whole freaking industry. The UAW and the LTL industry are/were the last of the great paying jobs...the auto makers are in the tank...the UAW is going to take a major hit before this is all over.

Never mind of what your postion requires...the talking heads don't see it that way...never mind the years of experience you have amassed getting to the point of being able to drive in all kinds of conditions and circumstances...never mind the level of professionalism you exude...it doesn't matter anymore...

The talking heads are bean counters...the newer management types are college grads that have never been and have no wish to be in a truck to see what you and I do everyday.

You say 50 and under!!!...I say get the hell out now...while the getting is good regardless of your age.

I have been looking since November when the 're-engineering' closed my old barn...haven't found what I am looking for just as yet...but I will.

This business requires a lot and used to give a lot...but not anymore. When the economy rebounds (and it will) the LTL industry may just see a mass exodus...when all the benefits and reasons to stay for the long haul have been eliminated...why stay???

We'll see!

Very well put Rat. I couldn't agree more. Best of luck to you in your search. I too am on the look-out for new employment.

We'll see!

Pretty much sums it up. I had an opportunity last summer to leave and take a job with a TV production company pulling the trailers to the various events and I did not take it for a few reasons. Knowing what I now know I think I would have gone. The pay was great but you had to work the first year as a freelance with no bennies. After that, if you performed well on the job you were assigned a unit and hired full-time. Go figure - by time this is all said and done I won't have any bennies anyway.