SAIA | Rate$ cutting--wow

AUbnoxious

TB Lurker
Credits
What gives? Saia is running up the tonnage in my area by cheap, cheap rates. I had a customer tell me the other day on a 8,000# shipment, they beat us by $900.00. $900! And then $400 on another one. What gives? You leave so much money on the table.

What gives? Saia is running up the tonnage in my area by cheap, cheap rates. I had a customer tell me the other day on a 8,000# shipment, they beat us by $900.00. $900! And then $400 on another one. What gives? You leave so much money on the table.

Every carrier does this. One can pick up something for way cheap because on the backside they are making money, or maybe the line that it is going on runs a lot of empties but brings back high paying freight. So maybe they are not leaving that much money on the table when it is possible that they are making it up on the other side. Just a point of view from a lurker......

Maybe with the recent announcements by both YRCW and ABF about restructuring (i.e. laying off) that we're going throught the whole "get our foot in the door so we can raise the rates a little later?

Well.....during the quarterly they were showing numbers since 2005 and talking about what was going on around 2008 and 2009. I said don't forget about the rate slashing that went on instead of us just worrying about our own company. Believe it or not, she agreed with me. She also stated we are thumbing through the accounts we have now and seeing which ones we need to go back and ask for an increase, or dropping the accounts that are a claim waiting to happen, ie: Office Depot. So I hope we aren't getting accounts just to get an increase later.

the information that i gleaned from the last employee meeting was that freight levels stayed relatively level.while at the same time yield was up 10 or 11%. this (to me) doesn't sound like severe rate cutting.