FedEx Freight | Red Shirts lay offs

outofworkjoe

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey last night I was inform that out night shift super,was let go.Got up to Hbg was told about 5 more red shirts were layed off.Is this just out east?:hide:

kcy lost one linehaul dispacher, a securtary, ops manager, asst hub manager, and our safety person is transfering to a regonal spot in texas

Just another example of how HI-CLASS FEDEX is:
They let let you come into work, all cleaned up ready for a good productive day. Then you're met at the door and told goodbye - hand in ID tag - you're no longer needed...

After my conversation with the main man here and his total disrespect for anyone but himself I believe I will add my name to others that will be giving notice in the next few weeks.His comment to me when I asked a general "what are the future plans here" was "you think it is slow now....wait till next month".We already have 15 of the 20 extra drivers that are off 1-5 days every week.Now I am filling in on a team run next week and dispatch told me to call CLC to make sure the run is going to go out.
I know they can not control the economy but they can control the timing of the last 4 guys they hired.They were hired when the economy was bad.Now they are working 1-3 days a week.
The phrase " At least I have a job" only goes so far when you are missing several days on every pay check and can not meet even the basic bills.
One thing FedEx seems to be doing lately is to make the old { and may I say successful } way of management working with us a thing of the past.I know the Watkins and Viking way of management there were never this many complaints.
Things change I guess.............

Hey last night I was inform that out night shift super,was let go.Got up to Hbg was told about 5 more red shirts were layed off.Is this just out east?:hide:

Where the ones in HBG laid off or let go due to not preforming ..i know they have had an opening for a Redshirt posted on the ICO broad for a couple months now..If they just laid 5 off why would there be a posting for one all this time ?

lay off

in dallas they let a dispatcher and planner go.

in ftw a supervisor with 16 years was also let go.

Watkins was a DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB acquisition. FedEx thought they were smart and they'd buy this non-union company and take all the freight away from the big 3 union long-haul outfits. What they didn't bank on was the truckload guys, 3pl's, railroads, etc taking freight away from THEM!!!

Now the bad thing is all the people getting let go. I've seen National's bill counts and they're PATHETIC.

A really sad situation over there.

under 100 red shirt people across the country were negatively affected. middle level management. like most companies right now, business soft and the business model may be changing for the now accepted and expected slower economy.

Watkins was a DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB acquisition. FedEx thought they were smart and they'd buy this non-union company and take all the freight away from the big 3 union long-haul outfits. What they didn't bank on was the truckload guys, 3pl's, railroads, etc taking freight away from THEM!!!

Now the bad thing is all the people getting let go. I've seen National's bill counts and they're PATHETIC.

A really sad situation over there.

G.C. Is that you?? How've you been?

Just another example of how HI-CLASS FEDEX is:
They let let you come into work, all cleaned up ready for a good productive day. Then you're met at the door and told goodbye - hand in ID tag - you're no longer needed...

It was really cold and just not right but back in 2000 drivers were dispatched out of CHA and got out to DLS to be turned back to home and when they got their they were layed off. That was right before Christmas. All compaines are way cold when it comes to this. It really sucks when you got a 13 or 16 yrs with the company and they do this when the emploee has loyalty to the company but its not even returned, but this has always been the nature of this bussiness. Nothing ever stays the same nothing.

It was really cold and just not right but back in 2000 drivers were dispatched out of CHA and got out to DLS to be turned back to home and when they got their they were layed off. That was right before Christmas. All compaines are way cold when it comes to this. It really sucks when you got a 13 or 16 yrs with the company and they do this when the emploee has loyalty to the company but its not even returned, but this has always been the nature of this bussiness. Nothing ever stays the same nothing.

I remember that well. That was the end of MOTEL 2000.

anybody else see the merger coming? why have freight and national terminals in the same cities when you can run both out of one terminal? especially with volumes the way they are now and will likely continue to be.

anybody else see the merger coming? why have freight and national terminals in the same cities when you can run both out of one terminal? especially with volumes the way they are now and will likely continue to be.
I hope it happens so everyone will quit talking about it the freight terminal is closer to my house anyway.

wonder why someone hasn't dropped by and pulled a Watkins on them. Just a thought .Its a strange world.

I don't think you'll see an outright merger per se, I think FedEx still sees value in keeping two separate networks. Plus there would be major labor problems if they jammed seniority lists together...the Teamsters would love to see that happen.

But I think alot of smaller and mid-tier EOL city terminals will be merged...but the operations and seniority lists kept separate. You might have a National dock on one side of the building and a Freight dock on the other...the idea being to cut administrative overhead and pool resources (dollies, towmoters, trailers, straight trucks, liftgates, training, wash bays, etc).

Take a look at the map of NE Ohio for instance, there's a Freight barn and a National barn about 10 miles apart in Cleveland and a Freight barn and National barn in Akron. They could merge 4 terminals into one in Richfield OH and they'd be right off the Ohio turnpike (triples!) and service wouldn't miss a beat.

That's exactly what FedEx Ground did 6 years ago...they merged about 5 former RPS satellite terminals into one modern terminal in Richfield and then they moved FedEx Home Delivery in there too.

The up-front costs would be high but the long-term benefits would be huge...there's opportunies like that all over the country to save untold millions in overhead.

Where the ones in HBG laid off or let go due to not preforming ..i know they have had an opening for a Redshirt posted on the ICO broad for a couple months now..If they just laid 5 off why would there be a posting for one all this time ?

With the exception of the safety sup, their positions were just eliminated. The posting you see just hasn't been taken down yet.