Roadway Express 75 Years of Service

When I was a young pup in the LTL business and a Fredrickson driver, I was in awe at the size of the Kernersville terminal they had
They were our next-door neighbors in Charl.
My dad had a shop back in the 50s and worked on leased trucks.
One guy had 6 big green Autocars leased to Big R, 5 had 200 Cummins, one had an a175, and all had Brown & Lipes, that's where I learned to drive.
I'd get to bobtail them back to the terminal and change 375 gears each trip.

They were our next-door neighbors in Charl.
My dad had a shop back in the 50s and worked on leased trucks.
One guy had 6 big green Autocars leased to Big R, 5 had 200 Cummins, one had an a175, and all had Brown & Lipes, that's where I learned to drive.
I'd get to bobtail them back to the terminal and change 375 gears each trip.

What the hell is Brown and Lipes Breezer? I did a search and all I got was pictures of lips with brown lipstick.

What the hell is Brown and Lipes Breezer? I did a search and all I got was pictures of lips with brown lipstick.
That was the manufacturer's name of the aux transmission.
They were called (3 spd Brownies)
5 spd main with 3 spd aux (underdrive, direct, and overdrive.
The guy who owned the Autocars bought a 1953 or 54 405 IHC with a Roadranger, the first one I'd seen.
Not long after that Big R cut off the leases, and this guy went to work in the city for them for 40-plus years.

That was the manufacturer's name of the aux transmission.
They were called (3 spd Brownies)
5 spd main with 3 spd aux (underdrive, direct, and overdrive.
The guy who owned the Autocars bought a 1953 or 54 405 IHC with a Roadranger, the first one I'd seen.
Not long after that Big R cut off the leases, and this guy went to work in the city for them for 40-plus years.

Not sure if I never heard of them or just forgot about them. lol I know I never drove one, all the two sticks I drove were Mack, duplex, triplex and quadraplex.

I started with Roadway as a casual in 1981. Got hired on full time in 1982.
Retired from YRC in June of 2009 and I'm glad I did.
In retrospect, the years I spent with Roadway Express were the best job I ever had.
Aw Mud, you're just rubbing it in because you worked for Roadway and I didn't.
Just look where you ended up, repairing shopping carts and selling Campground Approved Firewood.
Ryder was the better job and I live on (easy street)

Aw Mud, you're just rubbing it in because you worked for Roadway and I didn't.
Just look where you ended up, repairing shopping carts and selling Campground Approved Firewood.
Ryder was the better job and I live on (easy street)

I had a residential on Easy Street the other day, pallets of Mason jars. Had to bring it back, though, the homeowner was in Scranton on a picket line fighting to bring back cabovers with 238 Detroits and twin sticks.