XPO | Safety not a core value!

paramarine1965

TB Lurker
Credits
Just got an LOI yesterday for logging driver fatigue break last Sat. morning! Letter came from RM! Had found out last Wednesday that svc cntr was to be closed Friday and that we had 24 hrs to make a decision as to where to transfer. Did not sleep for two days with all the turmoil going through my head but drove straight to the re-ship on Friday and just gave out on way back Saturday! Logged bottom line per company guideline and flagged as "driver fatigue" per FMCSA guidelines. Called safety yesterday and still have not had a response! Guess will have to stop at scales and let them see disciplinary letter for doing what is right and file a complaint with OSHA! Same RM tried to dictate how we took our 1 hour of company allowed breaks which is also aginst dot and company regs! Anybody else having these problems please air them on boards and show just how unsafe con-way wants you to be! I have one million accident free and intend to keep it that way because they sure don't help!!!!!

Do the right thing

Just got an LOI yesterday for logging driver fatigue break last Sat. morning! Letter came from RM! Had found out last Wednesday that svc cntr was to be closed Friday and that we had 24 hrs to make a decision as to where to transfer. Did not sleep for two days with all the turmoil going through my head but drove straight to the re-ship on Friday and just gave out on way back Saturday! Logged bottom line per company guideline and flagged as "driver fatigue" per FMCSA guidelines. Called safety yesterday and still have not had a response! Guess will have to stop at scales and let them see disciplinary letter for doing what is right and file a complaint with OSHA! Same RM tried to dictate how we took our 1 hour of company allowed breaks which is also aginst dot and company regs! Anybody else having these problems please air them on boards and show just how unsafe con-way wants you to be! I have one million accident free and intend to keep it that way because they sure don't help!!!!!

You did the right thing bro! Don't let the intimidation factor get to you, it's a bunch of crap. I had the same thing happen a few years ago, my son had been sick with strep, and sleep at home was in short supply. I stopped on the way back to catch a nap. I explained the situation to deaf ears and got an loi as well. I asked for a copy so I could wipe my *** with it. I've said time and again that SAFETY is only a core value on paper and this company could care less about drivers. I was told it is my responsibilty to come to work properly rested regardless of extenuating circumstances. I would've taken a sick day but we were already short handed. you try to be a team player and you get crapped on! I'm with you!

WTF on a Sat morning? I can somewhat understand if you are holding up 3-4 P&D routes on a Wed Morning, but everything just sits in the yard for the weekend.

I had a similar problem with an overzealous TM at URE who allowed the terminal to become short handed through lack of hiring. I had one week where I worked 70 hrs in 5 days; effectively doing 2 jobs as a line driver and my outbound dock bid.

When they issue you the LOI demand a copy for your records. Sign the letter stating that you will be appealing it and attaching your rebuttal shortly.

Let the safety rep for your region know what happened. He and/or the regional manager may have a different interpretation.

Sec. 392.3 Ill or fatigued operator.

No driver shall operate a commercial motor vehicle, and a motor
carrier shall not require or permit a driver to operate a commercial
motor vehicle, while the driver's ability or alertness is so impaired,
or so likely to become impaired, through fatigue, illness, or any other
cause, as to make it unsafe for him/her to begin or continue to operate the commercial motor vehicle.

Sec. 390.13 Aiding or abetting violations.

No person shall aid, abet, encourage, or require a motor carrier or
its employees to violate the rules of this chapter.

As a last resort mention that if the LOI is upheld a copy will find its way to every 1800-WE SUE personal injury attorney in the State.

That sucks bro I could see that a LOI was in order tuesday through friday who gives a rats if you took a nap on saturday morning last time i checked we were paid by miles and the freight was not going to miss delivery and you logged the break correctly so hats off to you fight this to John L desk if that dont work have an atty give it to them you chose to be safe when you could have unsafe many star cards to you :1036316054:

you will do what they say and like it. :chairshot:

:smilie_132:I don't think so! Safety first and ALWAYS, Junior. Why, 'cause your leadership is going to have a harder time finding employment then the drivers with good safe driving records will when your business dries up.

Just got an LOI yesterday for logging driver fatigue break last Sat. morning! Had found out last Wednesday that svc cntr was to be closed Friday and that we had 24 hrs to make a decision as to where to transfer. Did not sleep for two days with all the turmoil going through my head but drove straight to the re-ship on Friday and just gave out on way back Saturday! Logged bottom line per company guideline and flagged as "driver fatigue" per FMCSA guidelines.
Conway won't be there to pay the bills if you fall asleep and have an accident. If I feel as though I can no longer maintain control of my vehicle because of legitimate fatigue, under no circumstance will I continue to drive. No matter what day of the week it is. Back in the day when I was young, dumb, and bulletproof, I could play around with fatigue, drive through fluttering eyelids, the nodding head jerk. It took two foolish near incidents before I pulled my head out. If you are that sleepy, and you know when that is, there is absolutely no reason to continue. I will take the punishment if company wants to be chicken heads, or find another employer / occupation if necessary. My life and family is worth far more than any company ever will be.

They did you guys wrong they new about closing the terminals for weeks or longer and they did not have to close that quick. They could of stayed open till the end of the month.

My guess is the issue was with you're taking more than 1 logged hour off duty. As someone else said, I can see where they might get a little rash in the shorts on a weekday but who cares about saturday morning. These robot managers are morons. Thats like saying never dock freight or never open a trailer door with a towmotor or never go backwards in the yard....even for one door.

The robot-moron-managers can't think for themselves.

Thank you for bringing this situation to light.

i have no problem pulling off when my time is up. no big deal to me. its not my fault the fac wouldnt release me even though i had all my freight. heck, i have even been asked if i could make it in a little further :hysterical:

:smilie_132:I don't think so! Safety first and ALWAYS, Junior. Why, 'cause your leadership is going to have a harder time finding employment then the drivers with good safe driving records will when your business dries up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I didn't think DOT allowed you to log off duty more than 1hr per duty cycle. If you took more than 1hr my understand is that it's logged as on duty time. If that is the case and counting the additonal time you showed off duty put you over you 60 in the driving line...it's a DOT violation.

Keep your log page for that day and your LOI in a safe place...when you wreck and live because you were tired, it will become very tangible evidence in your lawsuit against conway...that is almost worth wrecking for, you could set up your retirement now..wish i could get a letter like that, take out a bridge or something like that...

Its the typical Con-Way step over a dollar to save a dime mindset.

When they push line drivers like this they risk huge costly accidents.

A early last year a roadman returning from USA to URE fell asleep on a thursday morning laying his set over. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt. Joe J was lucky to walk away with only minor injuries. He was found something like 100ft from the vehicle.

It was a very costly accident. Tractor and Set totaled, most of the freight on the set was a loss, including the $500k of pharmaceuticals. A 255 tote of corrosive spilled into a mountain stream and had to be cleaned up.

Can you imagine the costs if someone was hurt or killed in this scenario?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I didn't think DOT allowed you to log off duty more than 1hr per duty cycle. If you took more than 1hr my understand is that it's logged as on duty time. If that is the case and counting the additonal time you showed off duty put you over you 60 in the driving line...it's a DOT violation.

DOT doesnt make those kinds of rules...the authorize the carrier to do that. Additionally..you could never take too much off in breaks in the name of safety...

which all of this brings back to the payout the company just payed to a drivers family, he stated he was sick, the scm said you are working, he worked. on the ride home ran into the back of a beer truck, killed instantly. yes the driver had the right to say "no" iam not working but was job scared and did what he had to do to be a team player and payed the price for not thinking of himself first.

another driver at a reship was hit from behind on the back of the head from an idiot driver that had a load table high up on the fork blades and driving like a bat out of hell, it knocked his @ss out "cold" :chairshot: he fell face first on the dock, nothing to break his fall. inbound f.o.s called safety region manager told him the situation and safety manager said to get him checked out there by paramedics and have him take his loads back to his domicile and go see his doctor. the fos told him no and sent him off to the hospital.
this is coming from a guy that will not hesitate to rule a accident preventable, but in turn he went to climb down the side of a pup and fell and hurt himself, he blamed that on carp-o-tunnel in his hand while grabbing the side rail to lower himself down. i believe myself that was preventable "yes"

speaking of safety...

The first point listed under SAFETY as our core values hang on the wall is: provide a SAFE work environment. This obviously only applies when it's cost effective and within the budget guide lines. If the work environment was truely a priority under Safety, many things would be different. Bumper pads would be on a lot more terminals to keep the elements outside where they belong and not on the floor of the dock where they become hazards. Snow removal and salting of the slippery yard would be a priority (this means YOU XMP!) Plowing at smaller terminals would be done pronto. and many many more small things to be done in the name of SAFETY!

The first point listed under SAFETY as our core values hang on the wall is: provide a SAFE work environment. This obviously only applies when it's cost effective and within the budget guide lines. If the work environment was truely a priority under Safety, many things would be different. Bumper pads would be on a lot more terminals to keep the elements outside where they belong and not on the floor of the dock where they become hazards. Snow removal and salting of the slippery yard would be a priority (this means YOU XMP!) Plowing at smaller terminals would be done pronto. and many many more small things to be done in the name of SAFETY!

The core values of conway are posted, just as ICE and everything else they do, for the benefit of eyewash and nothing more...it is an age old mindset which is as transparent as a piece of glass but none the less still prevelant here in conway...it is simple...if you demonstrate to everyone you are a safe, well organized, and managed company surely you would trust your freight to that company...if you think back to the 60's and 70's, you recall they business saying "Customer is King"...complete different mindset in todays corp america...anyways, locally with our company...the core value crap you see on the walls, the star cards, and so on are simply eyewash...the bottom underlining line hidden on all of those is the "formerly known as" mighty dollar...if you see this crap over and over you may actually believe it as well..bring to attention certain statues, colors and poster sized pictures plastered all around your average communist or dictatorship capital city and surrounding neighborhoods....but in actuality they mean squat...

as for ICE, well, my personal feelings on that was simply customer eyewash...something for the sales people to be able to go to the customers in whose freight we have lost, damaged over and over and they no longer desire our services, and say, hey, see we implemented a new program to retrain all of our employees as you were correct (without uttering such satanic words) with the damages and stuff, come back and give the new us a try...

the funny part is...most employees absorb it more then Dave Mc :last has a lisp...but the customers are the funniest part...i think very few of them bought it...