ABF | Saftey

I don't know what the company pays for the tests but the drug test provider at Little Rock does quite well.
Atlanta to. We went for several years with only a few random drugs test a year. Then about a year ago random drug testing ramped up again and it seems like 4 or 5 road drivers a week now. I have no idea how many city, dock, mechanics, and clerical are doing. I personally have had to do one random drug test in 2021 but I know a couple of drivers who have done two in 2021.

I do not recall too many randoms. There were a couple however it was a different situation back then. They were looking for drinking rather than the newer drugs etc as they do now.

The first day back from vacation, just after punching the clock I always expect to be sent to the terminal office for a 'Random' drug test. I can play their game & milk the clock for about an hour drinking water & waiting for my kidneys to work. There was a woman that did the test for a while. She was easy to look at & talk to.
Back around '97, I was "random" tested six times. Four of those times, there was the same co-worker called up for a "random" test as well. And this was when our city/dock board was around 250 full timers. Random my butt.

Atlanta to. We went for several years with only a few random drugs test a year. Then about a year ago random drug testing ramped up again and it seems like 4 or 5 road drivers a week now. I have no idea how many city, dock, mechanics, and clerical are doing. I personally have had to do one random drug test in 2021 but I know a couple of drivers who have done two in 2021.
When I ran UE to Carlisle, the guys on the dock and yard guys without cdl's where only tested if a sup smelled or suspected use of something.

When I ran UE to Carlisle, the guys on the dock and yard guys without cdl's where only tested if a sup smelled or suspected use of something.
Years ago, Ryder sent a driver who showed up dog azz drunk to the hospital for a blood test.
It came back 0.0.
They didn't know his wife was a head nurse at that hospital.

Years ago, Ryder sent a driver who showed up dog azz drunk to the hospital for a blood test.
It came back 0.0.
They didn't know his wife was a head nurse at that hospital.
I stumbled into dispatch while waiting on rig to warm up.

Smelled like a brewery which was the situation I left in the night not too long before. Wow. What a night. Wine, strong drink, music, wimmen etc. whew... a total debauchery.

They ordered me instantly to go to this clinic for a random under suspecting. When I arried at the clinic one of the wimmen were there as a nurse. HELLO NURSE! small world.

She put me into this exam room at the far end, kissed me and said sit and stay. If you know what is good for you do NOT leave this room until I come for you.

Hours later they finally hand me a cup towards closing. Zip. Nada. Nothing. Company was irate. They really exploded then. and my tractor was out there for 9 hours running at high idle waiting for me to get in and haul something. So much fuel wasted. What a mess.

HELLO NURSE! was put onto the corner of the bumper a week later by a truckstop pin striper for 50 bucks. She had a comic sized hat on top and a huge plastic cup with many lines on it next to her high heels and not much else.

Boy did the company hit the roof then when they saw it. They went out of business not long after. Someone was drunk and failed to stop when everyone stopped in rush hour one day. I think some of the lawsuiting still tied up the courts to this day.

I don't mind sharing this story now. Enough time has passed so some of the people involved in this episode probably have passed on.

I stumbled into dispatch while waiting on rig to warm up.

Smelled like a brewery which was the situation I left in the night not too long before. Wow. What a night. Wine, strong drink, music, wimmen etc. whew... a total debauchery.

They ordered me instantly to go to this clinic for a random under suspecting. When I arried at the clinic one of the wimmen were there as a nurse. HELLO NURSE! small world.

She put me into this exam room at the far end, kissed me and said sit and stay. If you know what is good for you do NOT leave this room until I come for you.

Hours later they finally hand me a cup towards closing. Zip. Nada. Nothing. Company was irate. They really exploded then. and my tractor was out there for 9 hours running at high idle waiting for me to get in and haul something. So much fuel wasted. What a mess.

HELLO NURSE! was put onto the corner of the bumper a week later by a truckstop pin striper for 50 bucks. She had a comic sized hat on top and a huge plastic cup with many lines on it next to her high heels and not much else.

Boy did the company hit the roof then when they saw it. They went out of business not long after. Someone was drunk and failed to stop when everyone stopped in rush hour one day. I think some of the lawsuiting still tied up the courts to this day.

I don't mind sharing this story now. Enough time has passed so some of the people involved in this episode probably have passed on.
Bad thing about Ryder's ordeal, they had to pay the bastard a trip, when he should have been fired.

The first day back from vacation, just after punching the clock I always expect to be sent to the terminal office for a 'Random' drug test. I can play their game & milk the clock for about an hour drinking water & waiting for my kidneys to work. There was a woman that did the test for a while. She was easy to look at & talk to.
A few years ago we had a guy take a vacation in Amsterdam.... he got drug tested when he got back...

i went 7 times in 3 months . was on a first name basis with every one at the quacks .i asked am i the only one from my co. that comes here ,they said it goes by the last # of your social . after a 3 hour wait i returned to my co. they said why so long and told them i didn't have to peepee. i never went back.

I remember another early peepee fiasco in PA, they sent me to this clinic in the dead of winter storm. Ok fine whatever. I bobtail over. (Never mind the little rules about that...)

Went in. Handed a cup. I laughed and said bring a bucket of coffee and a pack of smokes. Wait 20 minutes they will have their cup.

They said no. Sit there in the corner by the nurses desk and wait.

3 hours later (This is now 10PM...) they hand me the cup. I told them aint no way, kidney sare properly dry as they should be until morning delivery 1000 miles away.

Asian doc comes along. Broken English ask if I peepee. I told him nope.

He thinks a minute. Hands me a tiny cup of water. I drink that. He points outside where a foot of snow is piling up.

After 10 minutes they hauled me in. This time had a bucket. A chrome one.

whew. They got their test.

I remember another early peepee fiasco in PA, they sent me to this clinic in the dead of winter storm. Ok fine whatever. I bobtail over. (Never mind the little rules about that...)

Went in. Handed a cup. I laughed and said bring a bucket of coffee and a pack of smokes. Wait 20 minutes they will have their cup.

They said no. Sit there in the corner by the nurses desk and wait.

3 hours later (This is now 10PM...) they hand me the cup. I told them aint no way, kidney sare properly dry as they should be until morning delivery 1000 miles away.

Asian doc comes along. Broken English ask if I peepee. I told him nope.

He thinks a minute. Hands me a tiny cup of water. I drink that. He points outside where a foot of snow is piling up.

After 10 minutes they hauled me in. This time had a bucket. A chrome one.

whew. They got their test.
I remember one of our older drivers went in for his random drug test to the local clinic back in about 1987-88. They handed him his cup and he asked where to go and she said " over there at the sink Mr Robertson" So Willy goes over to the sink and pee's in the cup and finishes off by peeing in the sink, and the staff went nuts! "I meant you could wash your hands first, and then go in the bathroom!" Willy just shrugged and walked out. Yes, that really happened...

Last edited:
I remember one of our older drivers went in for his random drug test to the local clinic back in about 1987-88. They handed him his cup and he asked where to go and she said " over there at the sink Mr Robertson" So Willy goes over to the sink and pee's in the cup and finishes off by peeing in the sink, and the staff went nuts! "I meant you could wash your hands first, and then go in the bathroom!" Willy just shrugged and walked out. Yes, that really happened...
We used to have a dock worker named Luk* who would pee off the dock between trailers. Someone who will go unnamed told him the next time he did that he would push him off the dock down on to the apron. And I know he would do just what he said he would. But, the problem went away never to be seen again.

Back around '97, I was "random" tested six times. Four of those times, there was the same co-worker called up for a "random" test as well. And this was when our city/dock board was around 250 full timers. Random my butt.
Right before I retired in 2016, the feds increased the number from 25 to 50% of the fleet that had to be tested for drugs. I think the positive returns increased more than they liked. von.

I hate to say this, but Bufford T. Justice would be an improvement over the Safety Man we have (had). I won't go into details about it, but the man is on a 30 day leave pending an investigation of some things he did that ABF considered inappropriate. Let's just say, he probably won't be back. ABF381 is the only person on here that I have shared the details with in a private message.
I liked the last one we had @ 050. Retired IN state trooper. Level headed guy. For the test drive, out the gate to Mann road exit, over the top of the Interstate and back east to Harding street get off. He mentioned the only reason testers had failed is they failed to stop @ the gate in to our yard. Which has to big stop signs on the fence. He was a big help to us in writing up safety hazards on the dock & the entire property. He had to thread a fine needle to keep his job & help the workplace. When he retired he moved to a home down by Lake Monore near Bloomington. We actually had safety meetings with him & he always went to bat for us. We struck out sometimes when the company wouldn't pony up some money. Of course when OSHA arrived after a complaint, funds were found to fix the problem. Ask Geneva. She knows. von.

I had one fella. He probably spoke two words all year. He hated riding with me when I had to take him to his rig or trailer or both in mine. I dont stop for anything you see. We are going.

60+ miles later one day in farmland USA rolling fields of grain he starts bouncing in the seat. I look him over and failed to 2+2 pee pee off the little boy gotta go pantomine behavior in his body. All he had to do is open mouth and express the problem in english with a few words.

I didnt stop. Because he didnt say anything. And I wasnt using much of the higher functions mentally because all I was doing that hour was planning the dinner menu order in about 70 miles.

The smell of urine filled the cab from him. I bawled him out WTF? why didnt you speak up damn it man?!

Suits told me to leave him be. He was pulled out of school at a young age due to limited IQ or something or other and was home schooled on the farm prior to driving. He can drive. Just... not communicate. I should have known.