XPO | Same insurance for everyone?

TiredDvrsWife

TB Veteran
Credits
I know our insurance is self-funded but does all of the CW sections have Cigna or different insurance companies that handles the claims for CW?

Ok, thanks. Someone mentioned a different insurance and I was wondering about that. I wish we could get another insurance provider. It's hard to find a really good doctor in the local town that takes Cigna. Half of my time going to doctor/dentist is in another town.

yeah, bennies are getting weaker by the year, mainly because medical costs are through the roof...employers can only do so much...out here we have PPO, Cigna (which is what I have) and Kaiser....every year, my wife sits on the fence about going to Kaiser, then makes her final choice at about 1145pm on the last day of enrollment, and she never changes...I have learned to put my hands over my ears and go "lalalalalala"....for a month...my life would be easier if they made the enrollment period about an hour long....then I would only have to listen for an hour instead of a month..

Leftie, your wife must be related to my husband :smilie_132: When the kids were home and we'd decide on a mini vacation my husband would wait until we get into the car/truck/van/whatever we owned that year and then before turning the key he'd go:
We don't have to go there, we can do this or that or go.....blah blah blah blah...... and I'd finally get him driving out of the yard and it was still blah blah blah blah. One day when we were in his parents van that we could camp out in I was sitting behind him when he started the BLAHBLBLAH...and I snapped. 20+ years of it got to me and I put my foot to the back of his head and threated to take it off if he didn't get us to the camp grounds we want to go to and then to the place to go canoeing the next day. :hysterical:

Camp grounds were fun, he and I nearly drowned several times from falling out of the canoe and the kids still talk about the fun to this day. :funky:

I guess if I put it on an outbound bill, have him clock in and read where the "FREIGHT" is going I wouldn't have any more problems....he still does the blahblah to this day!

I HATE CIGNA. There got that out of my system. Tired after spending all day in waiting room on my mom. They wouldn't do surgery unless her oxygen saturation is above 90% and we have to wait for it to build up.

yeah, bennies are getting weaker by the year, mainly because medical costs are through the roof...employers can only do so much...out here we have PPO, Cigna (which is what I have) and Kaiser....every year, my wife sits on the fence about going to Kaiser, then makes her final choice at about 1145pm on the last day of enrollment, and she never changes...I have learned to put my hands over my ears and go "lalalalalala"....for a month...my life would be easier if they made the enrollment period about an hour long....then I would only have to listen for an hour instead of a month..

I know our insurance is self-funded but does all of the CW sections have Cigna or different insurance companies that handles the claims for CW?

Our insurance is not self funded in this sense...our company liability insurance is self funded which would include accidents, workmen's comp, etc...

It also has something to due with the fact that one of the board members also sits on the board of directors for Cigna

correct....the meds are PPO, Cigna (because they are nationwide, pretty much) and local HMOs based on where they are located...when I was in Socal, not many people liked Kaiser, but in Norcal, they seem to love 'em...different strokes...My wife says she somehow always ends up in Tennessee when on the phone with Cigna..

Our insurance is not self funded in this sense...our company liability insurance is self funded which would include accidents, workmen's comp, etc...

So does that mean that our insurance falls under state laws? I was on another board and was told that being 'self funded' meant we had to do whatever the company said because they had the money. But if this isn't so then some of the procedures I need and can't get, I can call in the state insurance board to intervene? I need to get out the Cigna book and......wait, did we get one this year??

I have to travel nearly 100 miles round trip just to see a dentist. The ones that accept Cigna in our small town are either semi-retired and don't do major work, semi-retired and only works 25 hours a week (take weeks to get an appt.) and last one is a quack that destroyed my husband's tooth, has to be pulled and messed up two of mine that I will have to pay out of my pocket to get one redone.

A few years back one provider that I went to said that Cigna pays the LEAST amount and that's why most don't want to accept them.

correct....the meds are PPO, Cigna (because they are nationwide, pretty much) and local HMOs based on where they are located...when I was in Socal, not many people liked Kaiser, but in Norcal, they seem to love 'em...different strokes...My wife says she somehow always ends up in Tennessee when on the phone with Cigna..

So does that mean that our insurance falls under state laws? I was on another board and was told that being 'self funded' meant we had to do whatever the company said because they had the money. But if this isn't so then some of the procedures I need and can't get, I can call in the state insurance board to intervene? I need to get out the Cigna book and......wait, did we get one this year??

I believe that is a major reason for the different insurance policies throughout the company...each and every state have different laws and rules...conway would have to follow those individual state rules due to people like yourself (non conway employee) using the benies...something you should check locally with your government...

self insured is a matter of insuring your liability requirements..we are big enough that we use insurance administrators like here it is Travellers to handle most medical/workmen's comp claims...they simply evaluate and recommend to conway as to what conway pays or doesn not pay...the people in MI have the final word...as for the vehicle and general public liability it is the same thing, just different administrators...

when conway takes away med benies and claims increased costs this is why...they are having to pay higher premiums for their insurance...or they are simply trying to cut costs and passing the bill on to you so to say..or a little of both...you could buy the same insurance from the same people conway buys but you will not be able to obtain the volume discounts conway gets...if 10 people are insured..you can imagine that 3 of them may not even go to the doctor at all for an entire year...so amplify that on the level of thousands of employees...conway gets probably the best deals...

I have to travel nearly 100 miles round trip just to see a dentist. The ones that accept Cigna in our small town are either semi-retired and don't do major work, semi-retired and only works 25 hours a week (take weeks to get an appt.) and last one is a quack that destroyed my husband's tooth, has to be pulled and messed up two of mine that I will have to pay out of my pocket to get one redone.

A few years back one provider that I went to said that Cigna pays the LEAST amount and that's why most don't want to accept them.

You mean you people just dont use pliars out there? :hysterical:

You watch that show that was on last year, I think the name of it was "Raising the Roofs"? A guy that is an actor and has been on a couple of blockbusters did a reality show of his redneck dad and uncle living in California with him. They weren't from the south but it goes to show there's rednecks everywhere! :funky:

Raising The Roofs - Raising the Roofs - The Roofs Arrive - Movies & TV - SPIKE

i stopped watching TV years ago...not enough time working LH...i never could sit on my 1.5 days off and watch TV...occassional DVD yes, but not just regular TV...you never know how much your time is valuable to you until you work 60+ hours a week and your time is gone...my spouse never understood that why i never wanted to go anywhere on the weekends...i just wanted to stay home and tend to the home-front...if it meant sitting in a lawn chair hanging with the dogs...that was tending to the home-front for me...

My L/H driver comes in tired and lays on the bed watching some tv until he falls asleep. No,there's not a lot of time when you work 70+ hours to do much else. And our vacations are spent mostly at home or with him off hunting.

Maybe a few years after he retires we'll do some traveling. We do spend Sundays with the grandkids. Somehow they've all gotten rotten. :funky: