Estes | Same old Question HUB or Utility in Elk,MD

Turn-n-Burn

TB Lurker
Credits
Need some input!!!! Heres my offer a Hub Run Elk to Harrisburg then work the dock 6 hours then back home. or a Utility driver with a start of 4am 4:30am or 5:30am Witch job would be most secure?? Also Witch would you say would be more wheel time I know HUB would be 6 hours of dock work every night. But would Utility at a start with those times just land me loading city trailers??????

The hub would probably more secure and I doubt you would get bumped off of that run. If it were me I would take the utility. I've never heard of a start time for a utility position. Your pretty much an on call linehauler.

[quote author=FrkyBgStok link=topic=82797.msg855894#msg855894 date=1281200538]
neither are secure at estes but i would say the hub run would pay more while it lasted.
[/quote]

Sounds like a man talking from experience there !!! Good way of putting it.

well when you say while it last or on call they didnt say i would be on call utility they gave me three start times to chose from . But ethier way are you guys super busy know or something they are hiring three more utilty spots i have the choice of those cuz iam the first one they talked to also i dont want to be in the soup line when things slow down. It sounds like thats where your going with this!!!

I am jaded because I lost a hub run and was forced on extraboard and my time on extraboard shows me MANY guys in the same situation. Many with over 10 years. "When things slow down" is not what I am getting at. What I am getting at is this company will do whatever they want, whenever they want. Linehaul guys with 20 years being laid off when utility guys in the same terminal with 2 months keep their job, reclassifying a run so someone either loses or gains and incredible amount of seniority, etc.

I see what your saying here!! I guess one of my concerns was sitting at home as soon as things get slow. I didnt know if they hire sometimes to get them by knowing they have no work for you in say a month ar two. and I'am looking for the choice out of my options with the least amount of dockwork!!! ALso what would a utility driver spend most of thier time doing out of this term????? P&D,DOCK ,LINE

Utility is an excellent job at a big terminal that has plenty of scheduled bids, extra freight and alot of dock workers. They know you just want to drive and that's what you do best. You would probably just slow them down on the forklift and that would be the last resort. ... On the other hand, If you get on the lift and run it like a tonka toy and the dock smells like a nascar track after a 600 mile race, they'll be licking their chops and you've just aquired a new job

Whenever there is a mention about me maybe doing some dock work, I just tell them that I'm real slow and I tear up a lot of stuff. Sure I can do it, but you really don't want me on that forklift. That's about as far as it goes. Just keep me on linehaul/extraboard and out all week please.

I guess the moral of the story is, what works today,will not work tomorrow, in todays environment. Things could change with the snap of a finger. Both jobs sound secure, so it's a matter of preference, a little dock time on hub, or probably more windshield time on utility ? Consider this also, on hub, you can bid on other hub runs. On utility, you have really no other schedual's you can bid on with your class, unless you are the only one bidding on the run. All terminals sound like they use utility drivers differently,so ask generally how they would use you and go from there

[quote author=rjjr link=topic=82797.msg856154#msg856154 date=1281237945]
I guess the moral of the story is, what works today,will not work tomorrow, in todays environment. Things could change with the snap of a finger. Both jobs sound secure, so it's a matter of preference, a little dock time on hub, or probably more windshield time on utility ? Consider this also, on hub, you can bid on other hub runs. On utility, you have really no other schedual's you can bid on with your class, unless you are the only one bidding on the run. All terminals sound like they use utility drivers differently,so ask generally how they would use you and go from there
[/quote]
Sometimes our utility guys are told to stay home when they have alot of extraboarders off break and begging for a load. They don't seem to mind but that's another thing to consider between hub and utility. A hub run will give you the same paycheck every week. I don't know how they do the rebids. I think it's linehaul vs linehaul, hub vs hub, p&d vs p&d and I guess utility just sits back and watches. I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the Info!!!
The only hub run is six hours worth of dockwork that's just lil much for me. Anyway it would only be 1 an half hour drive one way... elk to harrisburg.... so i know i have garunted dockwork for six hours everyday i think i will take my chances with utility!!
The guy i spoke with just said utility i could work the dock all week or drive line hual every other day or do P&D even jocky.. whaterver they needed that day basicaly.. Well i guess my only question left would be i'am leaning toward utility so if you had the choice of a start of 4am 430am or 530am what would you pick for the least chance of being dockworker/jockey most of the time??? and dont get me wrong i dont mind pulling my wieght and doing dockwork thats just not my background.....

If it was me, I would think that extra loads are going to be loaded overnight, so at 4am you will have the greatest chance of any extra load, but I come from a terminal that has maybe 3 total extras a night, so it may be different where you are. By 5:30 they will know the p&d loads and may keep you for extra there. But that is me, and my logic could be way off.

It helps if you bring your linehaul dispatcher coffee and doughnuts in the morning. :buttkisser: No kiddin, it's all how you play the game. If he has a hot load at 90% full you will probably be the next contestant. After your 400 miles from the barn you deal directly with central dispatch in Richmond. Tell them you have no problem with helping them out and you have a weeks worth of clothes in the truck with you. It also helps if your assigned to a truck that don't have to be back at the barn everyday.

I guess everyone is working hard. I know i've been. We are wide open now. Can't get a break. Short on drivers. Everyone on extraboard and utility is doing 600+ per day. Wheeeeew! Heat index over 100.. Gators all over the local streets. I need some fine young sweet lady to give me a rubdown