XPO | Samsara camera updates - pilot program

You are correct. Now a deeper look show that out of 2,479 Violations, in the past 24 months, 634 were for inoperable lighting. That's 25% of the violations. 78 for tires tread depth. 47 were for no vehicle inspection sticker or proof of inspection. 27 for inop/defective windshield wipers. 19 Mud flap violation. 16 for no/discharged/unsecured fire extinguisher. 9 missing or loose lug nuts.
A total of 830 violation or 1/3 of all violation are simple items found during a pre-trip inspection. Yes you can sit here and argue that lights burn out, mud flap fall off, but the fire extinguisher one really....That why I keep mine strapped into it's bracket so it doesn't run away. Also all of these missed violation did not require you at any time to crawl under the vehicle. Just to look and open your eyes. Though some will require you to bend at the waist to see, like the lug nuts.

I stop a driver leaving the FAC that had a brake can hanging by the airlines. The mount was broken. His word were "I check the lights and tires and that's it. I guess he couldn't bend at the waist.
Stop pull and driving O/S equipment.
Trust me as Saia driver we have the same type of drivers.... Told fellow Saia linehaul driver in Houston one night you're missing both mudflaps on the rear trailer shrugged his shoulders and drove out the gate, Houston has 24 hour shop.

You are correct. Now a deeper look show that out of 2,479 Violations, in the past 24 months, 634 were for inoperable lighting. That's 25% of the violations. 78 for tires tread depth. 47 were for no vehicle inspection sticker or proof of inspection. 27 for inop/defective windshield wipers. 19 Mud flap violation. 16 for no/discharged/unsecured fire extinguisher. 9 missing or loose lug nuts.
A total of 830 violation or 1/3 of all violation are simple items found during a pre-trip inspection. Yes you can sit here and argue that lights burn out, mud flap fall off, but the fire extinguisher one really....That why I keep mine strapped into it's bracket so it doesn't run away. Also all of these missed violation did not require you at any time to crawl under the vehicle. Just to look and open your eyes. Though some will require you to bend at the waist to see, like the lug nuts.

I stop a driver leaving the FAC that had a brake can hanging by the airlines. The mount was broken. His word were "I check the lights and tires and that's it. I guess he couldn't bend at the waist.
Stop pull and driving O/S equipment.
And I would add one thing to this. If the defect is big enough to write up on the e-DVI, then it's most likely big enough to put the unit out of service. If you're not going to put the unit out of service over a defect, please think twice before entering it on the e-DVI form.

And I would add one thing to this. If the defect is big enough to write up on the e-DVI, then it's most likely big enough to put the unit out of service. If you're not going to put the unit out of service over a defect, please think twice before entering it on the e-DVI form.
If I bring equipment to a shop to get repaired, I don’t enter into the DVIR. The shop will not take a defect out of the system and many drivers don’t look at previous defects. I spend time going back over pre-trips to look for things that have been fixed.

and will you put a F**kin red tag on it too.

If I bring equipment to a shop to get repaired, I don’t enter into the DVIR. The shop will not take a defect out of the system and many drivers don’t look at previous defects. I spend time going back over pre-trips to look for things that have been fixed.
The reason the shop does not remove the defect in the E-DVIR is because they have no way to access the system. Again we see that our great and wise management staff thought everything through before putting the system online.
The other problem is there are atleast 3 or more ways the trailer number is entered into the system. Like 311-1234 or 0311-1234 or -311-1234 or 3111234 or 03111234 or --311-1234. You get my point. In the eyes of DOT each one of these trailer number are a different trailer, but we all know that's not true. We were told to put a 0 (zero) in front of every number and to also put the dash on every, truck, trailer, and dolly. So if I write-up a defect on trailer 0311-1234 and you use 311-1234 or any of the other numbers in the system you will not see the defect I wrote up. Because the system reads it as a different trailer. The shop maintenance record computer system requires them to put in the zero and dash. Every Truck, trailer, dolly, and forklift is numbered with 8 digits and a dash.
I would advise any DW and driver not to hang out to long in the office. The last time I did I forgot how to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. Though after I walk out, though I had to stop chewing to walk, my IQ went back up the 50 point I lost from when I walked in.

If your barn has a shop, great. For those of us who don’t, the fos simply puts it back in service for the p&d guy to use.

The reason the shop does not remove the defect in the E-DVIR is because they have no way to access the system. Again we see that our great and wise management staff thought everything through before putting the system online.
The other problem is there are atleast 3 or more ways the trailer number is entered into the system. Like 311-1234 or 0311-1234 or -311-1234 or 3111234 or 03111234 or --311-1234. You get my point. In the eyes of DOT each one of these trailer number are a different trailer, but we all know that's not true. We were told to put a 0 (zero) in front of every number and to also put the dash on every, truck, trailer, and dolly. So if I write-up a defect on trailer 0311-1234 and you use 311-1234 or any of the other numbers in the system you will not see the defect I wrote up. Because the system reads it as a different trailer. The shop maintenance record computer system requires them to put in the zero and dash. Every Truck, trailer, dolly, and forklift is numbered with 8 digits and a dash.
I would advise any DW and driver not to hang out to long in the office. The last time I did I forgot how to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. Though after I walk out, though I had to stop chewing to walk, my IQ went back up the 50 point I lost from when I walked in.
100 percent. I see DOLLY- 401-1234, multiple dashes, all kinds of nonsense.

Yep, I do the same thing.

Spot on

Good info, thanks for sharing.

No more information on whether or not the company is moving forward with the Samsara camera pilot program? I've not heard anything new yet, anyone else?

No more information on whether or not the company is moving forward with the Samsara camera pilot program? I've not heard anything new yet, anyone else?
Our HR person told us the 4th quarter this year is when they will release all the details about Samasara program

Our HR person told us the 4th quarter this year is when they will release all the details about Samasara program
And this is what it will say...
Here is the program, you have no say, you are always in the wrong. Someone that never drove a truck let alone and can barely drive his car will be judge and jury on all recorded and any time we feel like looking in on you. Don't like well tough ::shit::

It was on XPO GO awhile back, with a video from Tim Staroba. They decided not to move ahead with piloting mobile device detection and distracted driving detection (basically the inward facing ones), and continue with speeding and following distance. The right call imo

It was on XPO GO awhile back, with a video from Tim Staroba. They decided not to move ahead with piloting mobile device detection and distracted driving detection (basically the inward facing ones), and continue with speeding and following distance. The right call imo
Thats because they got massive push back from drivers about, but don't worry in time it will be turned on if isn't already and they just are lying to you face about.