XPO | Samsara shenanigans

icuicp

TB Veteran
Credits
I forget how long XPO has been on Samsara , but when it was rolled out XPO told me and every other driver where and how to install the Samsara app.

We were also told we should install the app by XPO.

Now , drivers are being told not to use the app on our own devices?

At Yellow on our ELD system (Work Plan by Verizon) I used the app on my phone as my trip ELD if a company device stopped working or if none was available for my trip. I would assume the same with your Samsara.
I guess in the past you could use your phone for an electronic logging device ( and , unless the company has a way to stop you , besides asking you/telling you not to do it ) you still can.
Dumb question here from a driver who has been retired for two years. What does one do with the Samsara app?
It allows drivers to keep their logs on the handhelds. ( or a smart phone using an application )
A few examples of Samsara

Last edited:
I forget how long XPO has been on Samsara , but when it was rolled out XPO told me and every other driver where and how to install the Samsara app.

It has boggled my mind why anyone would put a e-log on their personal phone? You can sell me on the XPO app if that's how you want to go, but a laptop or PC works just find. I remember when this came out and how hard they pushed it. I ask how much of my cellphone bill was XPO going to pay for. We all know the answer it was ZERO. No money no app.
Sounds to me XPO got burned with this app. An e-log app must be connected to the vehicle ECM either by wire or BT. Sounds like something went down like an accident or DOT inspection were the driver was not connected to the vehicle and now is costing them big. You are an employee stop using your personal ::shit:: for the companies gain.

It has boggled my mind why anyone would put a e-log on their personal phone? You can sell me on the XPO app if that's how you want to go, but a laptop or PC works just find. I remember when this came out and how hard they pushed it. I ask how much of my cellphone bill was XPO going to pay for. We all know the answer it was ZERO. No money no app.
Sounds to me XPO got burned with this app. An e-log app must be connected to the vehicle ECM either by wire or BT. Sounds like something went down like an accident or DOT inspection were the driver was not connected to the vehicle and now is costing them big. You are an employee stop using your personal ::::shit:::: for the companies gain.
Oh please, spare me the phony outrage. I use the app on my cell because it occasionally benefits me if/when there's a problem with company ELD. Get real! I don't come to work to take a stupid stand over something trivial. :duh:

Sounds to me XPO got burned with this app. An e-log app must be connected to the vehicle ECM either by wire or BT. Sounds like something went down like an accident or DOT inspection were the driver was not connected to the vehicle and now is costing them big. You are an employee stop using your personal ::::shit:::: for the companies gain.
You’re absolutely incorrect. When using the Samsara app, you’re phone does not have to be wired to the ECM. You are not using your phone has an ELD. The Samsara ELD is wired to the ECM. The Samsara then relays the information to a satellite that in turns relays the information to the app. You are only using your phone has a portal to relay the information from the ELD.

You’re absolutely incorrect. When using the Samsara app, you’re phone does not have to be wired to the ECM. You are not using your phone has an ELD. The Samsara ELD is wired to the ECM. The Samsara then relays the information to a satellite that in turns relays the information to the app. You are only using your phone has a portal to relay the information from the ELD.
Yes you phone is part of the ELD. That is were you enter in duty status, trailers, DVIR info, and other required info your company and DOT requires which makes it part of the ELD. I have to ask if you use your phone and a DOT officer as to see you ELD what do you show him????? Do you rip apart the dash and show him Samsara device that's plugged into the truck or do you show him your phone? What ever device you use as an ELD it must be connected to the truck ECM by wire, BT or in this case satellite. If XPO wants driver to stop using the app then there must be a reason. I bet it's not getting connected to the truck.

Last edited:
I guess in the past you could use your phone for an electronic logging device ( and , unless the company has a way to stop you , besides asking you/telling you not to do it ) you still can.

It allows drivers to keep their logs on the handhelds. ( or a smart phone using an application )
Yellow didn't stop anyone from using phone as ELD device, just the opposite. As I stated earlier, I occasionally used my smart phone (via the app) if company ELD (handheld) wasn't working or none available. Phone linked to specific tractor at startup via Bluetooth. Showed phone to DOT inspector where he read off all necessary info, no issues.

Samsara doesn’t have to be directly connected to the truck to run the app on your phone. The app is the same platform as on the tablet in the truck. We were told the same at Estes, at first they wanted us to download Samsara to our phones, then said delete it and don’t use it on personal device. Idk why, I’ve had to when my tablet wasn’t functioning and it worked fine, and when the tablet came back up my logs were just fine. Oh, and Estes does pay us something like $35 for our cell phone usage.

Estes did the same thing.

They can tell if you log in via e.l.d or your phone. They crawled all over Estes drivers using their phone and was told never to use it period.

I don’t understand what the big deal is… if it officially captures my logs and transmits them to the company, then what is the problem?
Companies are back peddling after THEY told us to download the app and use it to familiarize ourselves with electronic logging with Samsara.

XPO has told us hot to use our personal devices because , if you have Samsara running on a personal device AND the company handheld , for example , it could be considered dual logging. We were also told it could potentially mess your logs up.

Personally , I found it convenient to be able to access my logs from home or wherever my phone goes to make sure I'm logged out and that my log was/is correct.

Companies are back peddling after THEY told us to download the app and use it to familiarize ourselves with electronic logging with Samsara.

XPO has told us hot to use our personal devices because , if you have Samsara running on a personal device AND the company handheld , for example , it could be considered dual logging. We were also told it could potentially mess your logs up.

Personally , I found it convenient to be able to access my logs from home or wherever my phone goes to make sure I'm logged out and that my log was/is correct.
That doesn’t make any sense, with Samsara you cannot be logged into two devices at the same time. If you try to log on with your phone while logged in on a running tablet it will kick you out on the tablet, and vice versa.