Yellow | Sarah Amico withdraws bid to restart Yellow

Sorry to say, more than half the dockman I worked with did not bust their tail, they barely did any hard work during their whole shift. Management is to blame for the bankruptcy. They let them get away with a terrible effort. You cant turn a profit with a bunch of lazy bumbs. I'm a retired dockman. When I first started in the 90's for Roadway, if you didn't do your share, you were out the door. I'm glad I got out before the bankruptcy, I only feel sorry for the hard working dockman and drivers. Hard work is supposed to pay off, but unfortunately Management dropped the ball.

Unfortunately this is a common tale at union companies. I agree that management is to blame but after years of discouragement managers simply get defeated and push good workers to do more because it's easier. Allowing the slugs to do as little as possible with protection from the union.
As always, once the job shuts down, these same fork freight Friday slugs all whine about how great the job was and how everyone got along......
Meanwhile non union carriers are coasting along making customers loyal and creating profits to create job security....

Unfortunately this is a common tale at union companies. I agree that management is to blame but after years of discouragement managers simply get defeated and push good workers to do more because it's easier. Allowing the slugs to do as little as possible with protection from the union.
As always, once the job shuts down, these same fork freight Friday slugs all whine about how great the job was and how everyone got along......
Meanwhile non union carriers are coasting along making customers loyal and creating profits to create job security....
Puffy, I just can't understand how a man of your exquisite and far-reaching visionary talent would reduce yourself to posting on TB. I thought for sure that you would be spending your days as a preeminent member of Augusta National, proudly donning that green blazer and sitting in splendor. What happened??

If lazy bums were shown the door at Roadway for being lazy bums that's on the BA and shop steward for not fighting hard enough for their members. Where in the contract does it define objectively verifiable metrics for job performance? You can blame management all you want but without the ability to fire lazy bums for being lazy bums it's not managements' fault.

I can tell you after spending hundreds of hours at numerous carrier terminals over my career, CF and Yellow were in a league of their own when it came to slugs. UPS and ABF had a few, but very, very few were as blatantly obvious. A different culture for certain.
Hmmm....that sure is odd...we were all under the same contract, but with different management....can't be management, as there is nothing to quantify work effort in the contract....must be the green trucks are more soothing and promote a better work ethic....

Hmmm....that sure is odd...we were all under the same contract, but with different management....can't be management, as there is nothing to quantify work effort in the contract....must be the green trucks are more soothing and promote a better work ethic....
That's got to be it. But wait! New Penn trucks were green. Reality is, I don't think the color of the truck made any difference at all. I think it was the culture created, nurtured and embodied by each company. I've never worked for ABF, so I don't know much about their culture. I know about Roadway's, I know about Yellow Transportation's, and I know about YRC's.

Reality is, I don't think the color of the truck made any difference at all. I think it was the culture created, nurtured and embodied by each company.

I can tell you after spending hundreds of hours at numerous carrier terminals over my career, CF and Yellow were in a league of their own when it came to slugs. UPS and ABF had a few, but very, very few were as blatantly obvious. A different culture for certain.

Yes, it's the culture. Some will blame management for that culture. Yes, if your dispatchers and/or TM's an a-hole that can certainly create a different culture. No different than if the local's BA and Shop Stewards were a-holes.

Progressive disciplinary actions by management can and do take care of the problem children.
If managers can not do their job of supervising they should be shown the door.
Never lost a Teamster job for years until the company hired a labor man that could count. 3 in 30 backwards.

Yes, it's the culture. Some will blame management for that culture. Yes, if your dispatchers and/or TM's an a-hole that can certainly create a different culture. No different than if the local's BA and Shop Stewards were a-holes.
Sadly Ex, at Yellow/Roadway/YRC that attitude by those front-line supervisors is bred/indoctrinated/beaten into them by their corporate higher-ups. To me, it was difficult to tell which came first, the chicken or the egg.

To me, it was difficult to tell which came first, the chicken or the egg.
This ^^^^^^^

When there is such ingrained "us against them" culture every step of the way, it's only apparent that both the chicken and the egg are a-holes. Undeterminable which came first.

One CF terminal in particular had a completely different culture than every other CF dock I had ever been to. Was the TM that much easier to work for because folks liked him, or did folks like him because he was easy/fair/consistent to work for? Was the atmosphere there so much better because the Shop Steward and TM had worked together as P&D drivers 20 years prior at another carrier and had earned each others' respect? Was it having different locals where the different BA's had completely different styles? Some combination of all of the above? As they say it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole cart.

This ^^^^^^^

When there is such ingrained "us against them" culture every step of the way, it's only apparent that both the chicken and the egg are a-holes. Undeterminable which came first.

One CF terminal in particular had a completely different culture than every other CF dock I had ever been to. Was the TM that much easier to work for because folks liked him, or did folks like him because he was easy/fair/consistent to work for? Was the atmosphere there so much better because the Shop Steward and TM had worked together as P&D drivers 20 years prior at another carrier and had earned each others' respect? Was it having different locals where the different BA's had completely different styles? Some combination of all of the above? As they say it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole cart.
I worked for Roadway briefly as a casual before going to Yellow full-time. In both of those shops, the antagonism was omnipresent. What REALLY chapped my hide though was when I (or another rank-and-filer) would try to suggest something that would make it all work better. We were either a) met with deaf ears; b) told "that's a great idea" and nothing further would happen for YEARS, and then they would claim it was THEIR great idea; or c) they would implement it with no regard and no mention of the root source of that idea. That was discouraging and it happened to me several times.

I worked for Roadway briefly as a casual before going to Yellow full-time. In both of those shops, the antagonism was omnipresent. What REALLY chapped my hide though was when I (or another rank-and-filer) would try to suggest something that would make it all work better. We were either a) met with deaf ears; b) told "that's a great idea" and nothing further would happen for YEARS, and then they would claim it was THEIR great idea; or c) they would implement it with no regard and no mention of the root source of that idea. That was discouraging and it happened to me several times.
Sometimes people don't recognize genius in their midst. :idunno: :poke::hide:

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.

Harry S Truman

So your last name is Zollars?

If lazy bums were shown the door at Roadway for being lazy bums that's on the BA and shop steward for not fighting hard enough for their members. Where in the contract does it define objectively verifiable metrics for job performance? You can blame management all you want but without the ability to fire lazy bums for being lazy bums it's not managements' fault.

In your hundred of hours did you get the pleasure to work with the fine people at Holland also and witness the fine operations prior to the Yellow wrecking ball?

In your hundred of hours did you get the pleasure to work with the fine people at Holland also and witness the fine operations prior to the Yellow wrecking ball?
Let me take a stab at "culture" differences here. I would suggest that the culture at Holland and other regional carriers somewhat stems from the hustle, "next day delivery" type operation prevalent at regional carriers. On the other hand, long haul carriers may have a less intense type operation because of the nature of their business model. The long haul carrier - "it will get there when it gets there" - verses the regional - "hurry up, it needs to be there tomorrow" - may affect the culture at those carriers. (No charge for my professional analysis by the way. :smile new:)

I can relate. Early management would listen and actually discuss, later no so much.
Made suggestion one time and was told that’s stupid won’t work, two weeks later big boy from corporate came in and implemented same thing, I did remind the supervisor that told me that, “ boy that sounds awful familiar “ he said it would not work. Amazing results the first day they implemented it. Nothing fancy just a common sense approach to huge problem.

Let me take a stab at "culture" differences here. I would suggest that the culture at Holland and other regional carriers somewhat stems from the hustle, "next day delivery" type operation prevalent at regional carriers. On the other hand, long haul carriers may have a less intense type operation because of the nature of their business model. The long haul carrier - "it will get there when it gets there" - verses the regional - "hurry up, it needs to be there tomorrow" - may affect the culture at those carriers. (No charge for my professional analysis by the way. :smile new:)
I agree to some on this. Tri if you never worked on a Holland dock you would understand. When I started working there I needed help with ugly freight, if I asked for help I got it. We were trained to take pride in our work and take care of someone else’s freight. Don’t take this the wrong way, in our area if you ran into a guy after the merge from Yellow or Roadway you could in about a 5 minute conversation figure out he was an old Roadway driver. Yellow always seemed to have a huge chip on their shoulders.

I know nothing about dock or city operations.
I do know that several of our people who got on CF's dock after PIE folded said CF's dock foremen rode their butt big time to make sure the job was done.
I was offered a dock job with not much chance of getting on the road.
I said, no thanks, I am a sorry prima donna still living back in the 50s, too lazy to push hand trucks on a dock, I think Razor must have put a bug in their ear.