XPO | Senior drivers with dock bid?

SoapinTrucker

Boatswainmate USN 1981-92
Credits
Hi all! I am a senior driver out west, and intentionally have a FAC dock bid, are there many of us? I just love working the dock, and then doing a line run once in awhile, when the extra bored (LOL) doesn't get them all, like on weekends I'll sign up.

I just thought to post this because I see raised eyebrows now and then that I am on a dock bid :)

Anyway, have a fine Con-Way day to all, and please be SAFE! :)

:smilies-19296:

SoapinTrucker said:
Hi all! I am a senior driver out west, and intentionally have a FAC dock bid, are there many of us? I just love working the dock, and then doing a line run once in awhile, when the extra bored (LOL) doesn't get them all, like on weekends I'll sign up.

I just thought to post this because I see raised eyebrows now and then that I am on a dock bid :)

Anyway, have a fine Con-Way day to all, and please be SAFE! :)

:smilies-19296:
I also have a dock bid. But love is a strong word. I bet you really love it when it gets 10 below. Every day Im working on the dock alls I can think about is why didnt I go to school, cause this really, really sucks. A monkey could do my job.

I did it my 5th and 6th year just to break up the monotony and mix it up a little.People thought I had lost my mind.:hysterical: Other than the cut in pay I enjoyed it.

Look at dock work as getting paid to work out. Get off the forklift and move the freight the old fashion way. I like to work the dock, it helps to keep my mind clear.

ShakyJake said:
I also have a dock bid. But love is a strong word. I bet you really love it when it gets 10 below. Every day I'm working on the dock alls I can think about is why didn't I go to school, cause this really, really sucks. A monkey could do my job.

I understand Shaky, I wish I had gone to school as well, what's worse, I was in the Navy and didn't TAKE the college money! I instead chose to work on deck , moving freight (unreps) and busting rust (I was a Boatswainmate....), another true "blue collar" job :)

I really don't like working inside, and when they ask me to work in the office here, I get pretty cranky, but sometimes it's a nice change up.

As for 10 below weather, well, we don't get quite that cold, and I can see where that really would suck!!!!! LOL

Oh, and Shaky, I do LOVE my work! I have worked since I was 16 (I'm almost 44 now....), and I can't think of a job I liked better, well, I DID love the Navy work for the first few years, until making rank turned me into a babysitter and paper pusher, THAT sucked, so I got the heck out! :)

I have NO desire to EVER be a supervisor, I LOVE to work!!! :)

Have a fine Con-Way day, and keep it safe! :)

Lawofone said:
Look at dock work as getting paid to work out. Get off the forklift and move the freight the old fashion way. I like to work the dock, it helps to keep my mind clear.

10-4! :)

Isn't it amazing when you see people AFRAID to get off the fork?!?!?!?!?

I hate to whine, but I HATE laziness, and I'm one of the laziest you could ever meet, no crap, but my philosophy as a lazy turd, is do it right the first time so you don't have to do it right a second! ;)

I like working smart, so I can work faster, which is still slow to some, but I try my best to do everything RIGHT, dunnage, load bars, light on heavy, etc. etc., yet I still see people not CARING about our customers freight, and that unravels my patience!!! LOL

Anyway, I'll shut the heck up now, I'm not perfect, and sure don't mean to come across like I think I am, I just want the more sunshine than clouds, 10-4? :)

well my wa driver so your on the dock , big deal , i am on the extra board, and i bidded it , and yes we over here at the sacramento terminal take line runs that you dock workers wont do or cant do , if a line run comes up on fac then the extra board will now get called to do it, thats the way it should be, you can have the darn dock work all you want , i paid my fair share for years, :puke: and dont care for it one bit , if you bid a fac postion then your a dock worker period , but if all extra boards ar used up thenm yes you:mfight: will go out

brutus61 said:
well my wa driver so your on the dock , big deal , i am on the extra board, and i bidded it , and yes we over here at the sacramento terminal take line runs that you :spam1: dock workers wont do or cant do , if a line run comes up on fac then the extra board will now get called to do it, thats the way it should be, you can have the darn dock work all you want , i paid my fair share for years, :puke: and dont care for it one bit , if you bid a fac postion then your a dock worker period , but if all extra boards ar used up thenm yes you:mfight: will go out

Wow, lay off the coffee sir! Simmer down, it's all good,
and after 10 years with CWX, I KNOW what my job is
and how things work, 10-4? :)

Maybe you should leave USA for the Pacific Northwest? ;)

Folgers?

[SAY SOAPDISh:poster_oops: OR what ever your name is , i dont drink coffee, not like you in the land of starbucks and such, who are you to tell me lay off coffee your just another YAHOO ,too bad you did not like my post , what because it said the truth, i knew what i was saying, and its drivers like you who are the ones who dont belive much until it bites them in the butt , in case i was very right , so go drink your frappinchino or what ever drink, and next time when someone is right about something . tell them a big thank you , not some little comment you made , by the way the spin stops here :whistle:

:Rulz: :Rulz:

1)Do Treat people with respect.

2)Do Not resort to childish name calling if someone does not agree with your view.

SoapinTrucker said:
Wow, lay off the coffee sir! Simmer down, it's all good,
and after 10 years with CWX, I KNOW what my job is
and how things work, 10-4? :)

Maybe you should leave USA for the Pacific Northwest? ;)
been thier soapdish , i helped set up use and umo an ueo , so simmer down ? what ever.i too know what my job is do you really know yours, i see the frieght everyday you send us and its not pretty either

You don't even know me sir! :)

As for USA freight, no comment!

:Rulz: :Rulz: :Rulz:

1)Do Treat people with respect.

2)Do Not resort to childish name calling if someone does not agree with your view.

you guys should feel fortunate you have dock bids. or hostler bids. or even 5 am starts. we're all not fortunate enough to work in class 1 or 2 service centers with lots of options as far as bids go. or unfortuanate as some may see it..... just my 2 cents.

jstdrivin said:
you guys should feel fortunate you have dock bids. or hostler bids. or even 5 am starts. we're all not fortunate enough to work in class 1 or 2 service centers with lots of options as far as bids go. or unfortuanate as some may see it..... just my 2 cents.

It's not really about what class service center you are at, it's about doing your time, or time in service, trust me, I have done my time, and earned my bids :)

Dock Bids?

I work for another LTL outfit were line drivers don't work the dock.I was just curious how that works for you guys.I make substantially more when i'm rolling down the road than just straight hourly. Does it work out that the higher seniority drivers get bids that don't require working on the dock?