FedEx Freight | Shippers Say Rail Service Deteriorating

It's not like you can just exit and go around like you can in a truck, this is funny! Once again trucking out performs GREED! Gotta love it!

The rail road instituted cost cutting measures, and now they don't have enough crews to run their cho cho's. What a shame. It sounds like uncle Freddy and the rail road are running on the same track. I need to check my CDL to see if I have an engineers endorsement. I could hire a couple of trainees out of the cho cho school, and we could go fun trucking. I mean fun training. This is what happens when you retire and have too much time on your hands. TP

It's not like you can just exit and go around like you can in a truck, this is funny! Once again trucking out performs GREED! Gotta love it!
I don't know where everyone gets off calling FedEx greedy. They're not in this to create jobs and they don't owe you anything. They're in this to make money. Now, rightly or wrongly, they've chosen to use rail instead of truck travel. They did it to make money and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

For the sake of arguement lets say their ideas work and FedEx becomes more successful and the inverse would cause them great financial hardship. Which do you want? You can't have it both ways. They're not going to expand the workforce unless there is a R.O.I. No new trucks, buildings or shop mechanics without the same R.O.I. (Return On Investment). Now if the rail doesn't work then they will try something else.

I'm not saying the rail is the way to go but they seem to think they'll get a better R.O.I. this way so I guess we'll see.

@leemcabee Thanks for the Sermon on the Mount 2011
I apologize for sounding preachy. But sometimes it seems a lot of people don't understand basic economics. And believe me I'm not saying FedEx is right or wrong. Maybe confused is a better word for what's going on here which makes them just like us. We're confused too.

Sermon on the Mount = turn the other cheek...

I agreed with your logic, it's always hard to accept something that hurts you, even when it's for the best...

Fred don't know how to run a ltl company the have gotten away from the basics too worried about the numbers.

Fred is a savy businessman that looks at the almighty dollar and whether his conglomerate of companies is making enough to hold the stock price so investors will keep investing. He could care a less whether you work or stay at home for the night.When he runs you off it's one less body to pay healthcare for which in the long term lines his pockets and keeps investors knocking at the door.

Golfman said:
Fred is a savy businessman that looks at the almighty dollar and whether his conglomerate of companies is making enough to hold the stock price so investors will keep investing. He could care a less whether you work or stay at home for the night.When he runs you off it's one less body to pay healthcare for which in the long term lines his pockets and keeps investors knocking at the door.

You should send him an email telling him what a greedy s.o.b he is and demand more of a cut. I mean,how dare the founder of the company line his pockets!

You should send him an email telling him what a greedy s.o.b he is and demand more of a cut. I mean,how dare the founder of the company line his pockets!
I agree with you. If the rich getting richer means I get richer then I hope they get filthy rich. I never had a poor man give me the standard of living I have now!

I worked for Norfolk Southern for 3yrs as a conductor, and trust me, there's a reason the turnover rate is close to 90% for train service employees(conductors/engineers). I hired with a group of 10 people, and I was the last one to quit(most quit within the first few months). Linehaul driving may be tough, but it doesn't even compare to how crappy the lifestyle of a freight train service employee is. You're never home, working constantly changing hrs, laying over in motels, and when you DO get home you're typically called back out as soon as your 8hrs rest is up.

Now maybe after 10-15+ yrs of seniority you can hold down a 2nd/3rd shift yard job, but those have been cut back due to the new remote control locomotive revolution.

If one company is successfull at something the rest will investage then make the same changes to be take advantage of a service. Scott Davis with UPS made a statement at the last quarters record profit that without our contractors this would not be possible. UPS introduced more contractors to haul freight at what was Overnite and the profit margins went up, something Fedex has always done. Fedex has introduced more rail service something UPS has always done. If you are not affected it is good business, but if you are it hurts. The bottomline is business has to charge and take advantage of different ways to still service the customer.

I don't know where everyone gets off calling FedEx greedy. They're not in this to create jobs and they don't owe you anything. They're in this to make money. Now, rightly or wrongly, they've chosen to use rail instead of truck travel. They did it to make money and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

For the sake of arguement lets say their ideas work and FedEx becomes more successful and the inverse would cause them great financial hardship. Which do you want? You can't have it both ways. They're not going to expand the workforce unless there is a R.O.I. No new trucks, buildings or shop mechanics without the same R.O.I. (Return On Investment). Now if the rail doesn't work then they will try something else.

I'm not saying the rail is the way to go but they seem to think they'll get a better R.O.I. this way so I guess we'll see.
Thanks dude, we all didn't know that already.

IND is probably going to rebid due to are runs having been cut to deep. We keep running extra to the places they cut. What sucks is guys transferred out because of the cut.

Sitting here in the hotel at CGT, seems like I will be getting some delay time waiting for the rail to come in.