R&L | Should I take the job offer?

berooobeee

TB Lurker
Credits
hey everyone,
it looks like I'll be offered a job doing P&D work for R&L. i've been reading what seems to be a lot of negative posts in this thread. should I just take them with a grain of salt or seriously think of taking the job? what are the positives and negatives of the job? It looks like I will be offered a job at NEMF and ODFL also.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends a lot on what terminal you would end up with. For P&D...I would say try ODFL. You are going to be doing a lot of residential deliveries with R+L, with little to no support from dispatchers/management when you can't fit in somewhere.

That said, I think ODFL still has people running wild on linehaul where you don't where you'll be staying each night. At least R+L gets you home.

It depends a lot on what terminal you would end up with. For P&D...I would say try ODFL. You are going to be doing a lot of residential deliveries with R+L, with little to no support from dispatchers/management when you can't fit in somewhere.

That said, I think ODFL still has people running wild on linehaul where you don't where you'll be staying each night. At least R+L gets you home.

The job is out of Canton, MA terminal. What terminal are you out of?

At my yard we have a couple of drivers that do good to get 20 hrs. a week. We have a L/h driver that runs a 10 hr. turn every night and when he gets back they let him clock in and make pick ups even with 3 or 4 driver's sitting at home.

hey everyone,
it looks like I'll be offered a job doing P&D work for R&L. i've been reading what seems to be a lot of negative posts in this thread. should I just take them with a grain of salt or seriously think of taking the job? what are the positives and negatives of the job? It looks like I will be offered a job at NEMF and ODFL also.

Go for ODFL, if you asked me about 5 years ago I would say R+L, but this place is not what it used to be and we get no support. The grass is not always greener, but the OD term in my town is the place to work. It does however vary from term to term, but go to OD, better to be safe than sorry. Do not work for R+L.

Go for ODFL, if you asked me about 5 years ago I would say R+L, but this place is not what it used to be and we get no support. The grass is not always greener, but the OD term in my town is the place to work. It does however vary from term to term, but go to OD, better to be safe than sorry. Do not work for R+L.

I would back up what Bullwagon said. Its hard for me to make comments about people starting now when I started 10 years ago. Its a different company now than it was then.

hey everyone,

If I were you I wouldn't even think twice...Old Dominion for sure. You will stay busy at OD and won't kill yourself trying to get the job done. R+L takes the SH^T freight that nobody else wants. The support system is non existant. The drivers are the ones doing all the work and you might end up at some office building with a 700 pound treadmill with no freight elevator that dispatch says you have to handle it. It's 8 ft long bud and all stairs. Thing is...if they don't have 10 people there to get it in it's coming back and your the moron. R+L doesn't care if you hurt yourself or end up with heat exhaustion. They put you on light duty sitting in a chair on the 100 degree dock and you earn your pay sitting there. You leave with 15 deliveries and they put 10 pickups on you which means to get it done, no breaks, no lunch, and don't forget that residential needs to be delivered even if it's 930pm. Screw that. I am not their b^tch. That one is in the nose and won't be getting delivered today. They say we have a bad attitude. HMMM.....I wonder why.

BTW it takes 5 years to get top pay which at our terminal is 23.42 an hour....at OD you start around 21 and get tops in like 2 years....and you don't work half as hard. Like I said....if I knew then what I know now I would never have even taken the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just officially offered the job today at R&L and have a start date. I'm still waiting on ODFL to clear my work history with corporate, I guess they're not sure if my tractor trailer training school is "certified" compliant with ODFL's corporate standards. I'm hoping to find out for sure tomorrow from the ODFL terminal manager if it's cleared. He told me if not, I would have to go to their training school and work the docks in the mean time, which i do not want to do. I declined the job at NEMF.

From all the posts on here you guys are scaring me a little. The problem I have is a lack of experience, which limits my options as far as TT jobs. I figure if worse comes to worse, suck it up and get a few years then move on.

I was just officially offered the job today at R&L and have a start date. I'm still waiting on ODFL to clear my work history with corporate, I guess they're not sure if my tractor trailer training school is "certified" compliant with ODFL's corporate standards. I'm hoping to find out for sure tomorrow from the ODFL terminal manager if it's cleared. He told me if not, I would have to go to their training school and work the docks in the mean time, which i do not want to do. I declined the job at NEMF.

From all the posts on here you guys are scaring me a little. The problem I have is a lack of experience, which limits my options as far as TT jobs. I figure if worse comes to worse, suck it up and get a few years then move on.

Since you have little experience then go ahead with R+L ONLY if OD does not offer you a job. What I would do is take the R+L offer but still actively go for OD. That way you are getting experience and getting a pay check. But keep striving to get to OD. R+L will work for a short time company; just don’t make the mistake of having the attitude after a month of “it’s not that bad”. Trust me your attitude will change.

Since you have little experience then go ahead with R+L ONLY if OD does not offer you a job. What I would do is take the R+L offer but still actively go for OD. That way you are getting experience and getting a pay check. But keep striving to get to OD. R+L will work for a short time company; just don’t make the mistake of having the attitude after a month of “it’s not that bad”. Trust me your attitude will change.

You got that right. Big time attitude.

Because that driver has a lot of SUCTION POWER;
At my yard we have a couple of drivers that do good to get 20 hrs. a week. We have a L/h driver that runs a 10 hr. turn every night and when he gets back they let him clock in and make pick ups even with 3 or 4 driver's sitting at home.

just use R&L to get some experience. Its not a place what you want to stay out for long. It used to be a great place to work, I worked there for 18 years, and left a year ago because they continued to double down on stupid.you won't want to make a career out of working there, trust me.when the old man who started the company left, and turned it over to his son, the place became a **** hole. I wouldn't go back to work there, if they put a 100K cash in my hand. Trust me the management there are complete morons, and it starts with Zimmerman the President, and Roby, one of the family members who own the company.

OD does pay well BUT there's alot of responsibility with them is why they pay so high. From a co worker who got fired his fault though, said they do fire alot of people. Speeding, scraping trailers, log violations, any safety violation etc. A lessor LTL might give you a 2nd chance or just give you a slap on the wrist cause they need drivers were OD has 20 guys lined up knocking down the door.

OD does pay well BUT there's alot of responsibility with them is why they pay so high. From a co worker who got fired his fault though, said they do fire alot of people. Speeding, scraping trailers, log violations, any safety violation etc. A lessor LTL might give you a 2nd chance or just give you a slap on the wrist cause they need drivers were OD has 20 guys lined up knocking down the door.

You do any of that stuff here and you get promoted! There are no consequences!

Take the job, any job, but don't let the very few who use this forum as a crying board make up your mind for you. Every company has its pros and cons and frankly you probably wont know the truth until you start. Not the same company as 10 years ago I will agree but like the others I am still here and plan on staying as long as they will let me.

hey everyone,

So.....What's the verdict?

R&L it is! OD wouldn't accept my CDL school, even though I have 4 years 10-wheeler and 3 months tractor trailer experience. thank you guys for all the input.

R&L it is! OD wouldn't accept my CDL school, even though I have 4 years 10-wheeler and 3 months tractor trailer experience. thank you guys for all the input.

Well, welcome aboard. Don't give up on OD, R+L pays good and will give you steady work until you get enough experience to find a good home. Good luck!