XPO | Some days the windshield some days the Bug!!!

Spot-Dog

TB Lurker
Credits
Just started doing the city this year and somedays it flys off the back and some days it takes more time than i have to get it done !!!! any tips ??????? talked to some who done this area little help but got to be a better way !!!

Just started doing the city this year and somedays it flys off the back and some days it takes more time than i have to get it done !!!! any tips ??????? talked to some who done this area little help but got to be a better way !!!

I hear ya. Seems like the days I worked the hardest I got the least done whereas the days my numbers were great I never broke a sweat.

If you are running the same area every day you will figure it out. You get to know who goes to lunch when and what time pick-ups are ready. I had a run for a few years that was a lot of miles with few deliveries but a lot of pick-ups so all in all in was pretty easy. Still, there were a few places that if I had to go to - I knew it was gonna be a long unproductive day.

I guess my tips would be, if possible load your own trailer. I always tried to avoid blocking freight in if possible. I always pulled a 53' so I would load bigger orders down one side so I could get to the other stuff without too much effort. This helped out a lot if you got to a place and there were 8 trucks waiting on 2 docks. You can then go kick some of the other stuff off and come back.

This one you have to be a little careful with till you know the people well but it made my job a piece of cake almost everyday. I would simply call all of my big shippers to find out how much and what time. Once you get to know the people they appreciate the fact that you call and adjust your arrival time to fit their schedule. This won't work with everyone but it helps.

Another thing I always did was stop at places that were usual shippers if I was already in that industrial park or area. We have all called dispatch to find out if the place across the street had anything and we all know what happens 2 hours later.

Sorry for being so long winded. To sum it up, work smarter not harder. Even if you hate Con-way you can develop good relationships with customers and it makes your job easier and more enjoyable. I felt overwhelmed at first in the city, but after three years on the same route I had time to sample the local coffee shops with more stops than ever. You'll get the hang of it.

There will still be days where no matter what you do it just doesn't work out. That is when you let dispatch go in one ear and out the other.

Never leave home without pallet jack and 2-wheeler.Try and load your trailer they way your going to run your route.One skid at consignee,take it off yourself if possible,much faster.My motto was to"work hard first,then stalk women at wallyworld for a couple of hours and get paid for it"!!!

Excellent! We can add a new perversion to our list of Conway Freight posters - Public Stalker!

Glad you're here, trckdvrhogrdr.

Lord knows it's fulfilling to be a part of something bigger then myself. Here I am, amazed with the finest group of perverts ever assembled......Sometimes I get so emotional.

Work easier not harder. A Lot of that depends on your service rank(not always being stuck with the hand freight and residential)and not being overly chatty with customers and keeping them focused on getting their crap off the back of your trailer. One thing I highly recommend when possible is when you have single shipments is to bring the next stop or two back to the door as a customer unloads you, not up and down out of the trailer as much and saves wear and tear on your knees. As far as the chatty part goes, at one point in my career I realized that between 15 years of servicing some customers from time to time between two different carriers that I did not know any of their names or any thing about them like some drivers might and was not getting any invites to partake of free food opportunities and such as some drivers would report. I was very focused on getting done early and sticking the new hands who came in later with the pickups and me going to the casa.:clap: I am sure average customer thought me to be a large phalace and almost catatonic. I got a little sunnier and began actually looking at the name on their shirt or on the bill they signed and honoring them with the use of said name from time to time. A few of them seemed taken aback by this and would ask about me if they did not see me for a while(hey,the guy with a personality like a bag of rocks...where has he been lately)and more importantly gave me a foundation for getting unloaded right at lunch,break time etc, etc, instead of running for the hills and laughing.

Excellent! We can add a new perversion to our list of Conway Freight posters - Public Stalker!

Glad you're here, trckdvrhogrdr.

Lord knows it's fulfilling to be a part of something bigger then myself. Here I am, amazed with the finest group of perverts ever assembled......Sometimes I get so emotional.

Wuss!

Rat :biglaugh:

Work easier not harder. A Lot of that depends on your service rank(not always being stuck with the hand freight and residential)and not being overly chatty with customers and keeping them focused on getting their crap off the back of your trailer. One thing I highly recommend when possible is when you have single shipments is to bring the next stop or two back to the door as a customer unloads you, not up and down out of the trailer as much and saves wear and tear on your knees. As far as the chatty part goes, at one point in my career I realized that between 15 years of servicing some customers from time to time between two different carriers that I did not know any of their names or any thing about them like some drivers might and was not getting any invites to partake of free food opportunities and such as some drivers would report. I was very focused on getting done early and sticking the new hands who came in later with the pickups and me going to the casa.:clap: I am sure average customer thought me to be a large phalace and almost catatonic. I got a little sunnier and began actually looking at the name on their shirt or on the bill they signed and honoring them with the use of said name from time to time. A few of them seemed taken aback by this and would ask about me if they did not see me for a while(hey,the guy with a personality like a bag of rocks...where has he been lately)and more importantly gave me a foundation for getting unloaded right at lunch,break time etc, etc, instead of running for the hills and laughing.

:hide: Damn!!!!!!!!! this guy has it down!!:smilie_132: