ABF | Speed limiters

Traffic will be a nightmare is Biden and the FMCSA go thru with this idiotic idea. I can see common sense like limiting the speed to 75 or 80 but sense when do the people in DC use common sense.

Thats why I quit watching NASCAR years ago. They put in restrictions to make all cars equal. So they piled up around each other and mob around and around for 5 hours.

When I started off with the big 425 Kitty, and everyone would run in the old iron, the two stroke detroits were the ones to follow most of the time. The cummins had their own limitations. And in the end everyone in the 18 wheelers had sorted out naturally by the summit is reached. Empties and horses fast to the front door, drags to the rear and everyone else settled into the rocking chair. Anytime a new tractor trailer joined or left the convoy we would resort. No problem.

The local union doubles had one job. Roll. When they slowed up suddenly we all did too. That means a lawman in the bushes with camera at that spot.

And the cars flowed and went away no problem. Everyone was fast. I could provide next morning sunrise delivery anywhere east of Chicago-St Louis- Vicksburg almost to Maine from anywhere in those days.

Enter the speed limitation. That exposes the corporate stupidity. I was with KTC out of Gettysburg when they cut the first computer detriot from unlimited to 60 flat and by doing this electronically, destroyed the fuel pump in due time (Sucking air) and also rendered the top two gears in the high range useless. Then introduced a safety problem stuck at 58 near Cincinatti stacking cars and trucks around almost getting hit. I dumped the tractor in the yard and told them to shove it.

They went out of business in due time. Because with the speed limitations they could no longer give next morning service worth a damn.

By all means casterate the cars too. Have our Arkansas freeways crawl at 60 or whatever during rush hour. //sarcasm. Thank god we are not part of that mess. We specifically use mechanical vehicles that do not have any limits other than what is possible in realm of physics. They will have to outright ban that type of fueled vehicles in the future. And I have been offered 10,000 dollars cash for a worthless beater because its mechanical and driving. That figure will only increase when these limitations come into play.

Thank you very much dear Uncle Sam. You can be so very stupid.

They should make the right lane on interstates, the 70mph and below lane, the left lanes ,No speed limit. 2 lane roads? Whatever speed the driver is comfortable with. Speeding, and Driving too Fast for conditions has never been a factor in truck accidents.

Traffic will be a nightmare is Biden and the FMCSA go thru with this idiotic idea. I can see common sense like limiting the speed to 75 or 80 but sense when do the people in DC use common sense.
Does everyone forget that ABF always had the slowest trucks on the road. When I first started as a road driver the trucks were governed at 57mph. That went on for many years. The government had nothing to do with that decision.

Does everyone forget that ABF always had the slowest trucks on the road. When I first started as a road driver the trucks were governed at 57mph. That went on for many years. The government had nothing to do with that decision.
What would have been nice, is if we had front and rear cameras back then. I'm sure they would show a lot more near miss rear ends and pissed off drivers cutting us off and brake checking because of holding them up. While the cutting us off and the brake checking has increased, most it isn't for our speed now days.

They only do that at Daytona & Talladega. The cars were running to fast, catch fence would not hold up to those speeds & would put spectators at risk….
The speeds had gotten too fast but I think something better than restrictor lates could be used to slow them down. The restrictor plates make driving difficult because of the lag on acceleration. A better solution would be to cut back on engine displacement which would result in slower speeds but make them more driveable.
I also stopped watching NASCAR but for a different reason. There is no sport that has a place in politics & NASCAR is among the worst for political correctness.

All the cameras in the world would not stop a dispatch from demanding you maintain 45 mph company mandated average.

When a very big cloud starts to form ahead of you thats nothing but snow you need to knock it down now.

(Video from 11 hours ago in a snow storm.)

You ever get caught up in something like that exit out of the truck and run!