Yellow | Stacking Freight

I listened to Jamie talk about buying new trailers and he said that the profit comes from being able to stack freight onto load bars which means we can put more into a trailer. While this is certainly true, what he fails to mention is that when you stack freight on load bars you risk having the freight fall in transit and then the dock worker has to spend an hour picking up the freight and rewrapping or picking up the pieces so the OSD Clerk can submit a claim for damages. (16:30 mark of the conference)

If the freight rides on the floor in a 53ft not a set of pups which saves labor and is much safter while loosing 3ft of space will pay for itself buy having less claims for damages and being able to turn more loads out on time. This is why these CEO's and other high level executives dont live in a reality of what really transpires everyday.

So if Jamie or any of the executvies are reading this, I will pay for you to come to my terminal at my expense. I can rent time on a Netjet so your not standing in the airport with the common man and I will have you picked up at the airport and have you stay at the finest hotel in the area so you can come and see how its really done. I will also pay you double your daily rate of pay. This is a serious offer and shouldnt be taken lightly.

Only paying off $300 million of debt in a few years is nice but yet there is tens of thousands of employees who you take 15% of the pay each week. Where has the money gone ? We should be nearly debt free by now.

I welcome your remarks and commentary no matter how snarky or nasty they may be.

Been preaching this same thing since August 1975 when I started in the freight business. Also that you lose more money stacking freight all the way to the roof on the rear of the trailer causes more damages when you open the door, than profit you can make on the rest of the trailer. Yellow thought plastic on the rear solved all of that problem. Lol

Xrgi35q.jpg

On a side note anyone seen any of the trailers with the bars built in heard we were getting some?
I know this picture is either a sales tool, or for training, but if you leave all that space in between, and on the walls, you still are allowing the freight to shift. Any time I load anything like this, the freight is tight to both walls and fill the gap with air bags, and dunnage.

I know this picture is either a sales tool, or for training, but if you leave all that space in between, and on the walls, you still are allowing the freight to shift. Any time I load anything like this, the freight is tight to both walls and fill the gap with air bags, and dunnage.
If the skids were turned to the 48" side he probably won't need any air bags at all:1036316054:

clgJ69S.jpg

Your right. But doesn't seem that new dock hires getting paid $12.00 an hour have the ambition to turn, block, strap or secure freight in any way.

Once upon a time workers did the job the right way regardless of the pay level because that's the way they were brought up - to take pride in their work. In today's world it appears that's not the case. Sad.

If the skids were turned to the 48" side he probably won't need any air bags at all:1036316054:

clgJ69S.jpg
Still have room for skids to move. Especially when sideways on 2 bars only, If they move forward or back just enough, they tip off bars. 1 Bag between them to push frt tight to walls, helps eliminate that problem. I know what you are saying though, Bart. If trl is decked with light frt up, and length of trl, yes, you are correct. The problem I see almost daily, is frt on bars with nothing in front of, or behind to prevent sliding off 1 bar or the other. I really believe there are people who do not know how to properly use the bars. On hands training may help some people. The ones that would listen anyway.

Your right. But doesn't seem that new dock hires getting paid $12.00 an hour have the ambition to turn, block, strap or secure freight in any way.
They do not have the knowledge either. If YRC is content to hire part timers, and turn them loose without at least a week of training with someone who knows the ropes, then shame on them.

Once upon a time workers did the job the right way regardless of the pay level because that's the way they were brought up - to take pride in their work. In today's world it appears that's not the case. Sad.
Did you say something?? I'm sorry, I had to check my cellphone again.

The biggest problem we see with damage is the last 1/4 of a pup. Some extra attention there would go a long way‼️

Last edited:
Deck bars? New guys don't even use em. I should have taken pics last night.
I feel bad for you who have to detangle all that ::shit::.
Yes. If I stack I use the idiot bars. Anyone can stack with those.
Remember when we didn't have them? You were a real stacker then.
Now. It's even easier. But still. They just pile up at the end of the dock or between the doors because they don't use them.

Opened a can of worms here.

Tables or 1/4 sheets plywood with a sprinkle of cardboard
I'm still trying to find the new air bags in between all the old ones in the cart the TM said we had. Lol. :smiliepostwhore:

Go easy on me. I will take the time to load right. Not bragging it's just the way I am. Our generation. My work ethics. If I worked for Walmart I would use the same work ethic.

I agree on training but it's seems that loads are loaded with a device similar to what you would use to load a silo. Pull the door and never see it again is the motto.
Remember when 'Hollywooding' was status quo? Now a disappearing art.
Explain. May be before I started or a regional thing.
I taught myself to stack. Started at a small terminal. Older guys always disliked us new guys. Sound familiar?

Explain. May be before I started or a regional thing.
I taught myself to stack. Started at a small terminal. Older guys always disliked us new guys. Sound familiar?

'Hollywooding,' was used to describe a load that was substandard throughout, but beautiful to the one who closed the door. The last 4 feet loaded for picture taking.

I had 20 years of bed bugging before I did freight. I learned to load by hand. Transitioning to loading with a forklift, dunnage, plywood and 2 x 4 pieces was a snap for me. Decking bars had been standard in my early training. They were used in loading above vehicles and other articles of extreme configuration. I use 'Hollywooding' to describe a load worthy of picture taking throughout, as in video worthy, that would sell.

I referred to it as a solution to the issue Bart raised about the last 4 ft of trailers.

'Hollywooding,' was used to describe a load that was substandard throughout, but beautiful to the one who closed the door. The last 4 feet loaded for picture taking.

I had 20 years of bed bugging before I did freight. I learned to load by hand. Transitioning to loading with a forklift, dunnage, plywood and 2 x 4 pieces was a snap for me. Decking bars had been standard in my early training. They were used in loading above vehicles and other articles of extreme configuration. I use 'Hollywooding' to describe a load worthy of picture taking throughout, as in video worthy, that would sell.

I referred to it as a solution to the issue Bart raised about the last 4 ft of trailers.
Ya. I see em add Frt in a hole to take a pic and take it off and shut the door. All a game.
Never had deck bars. Can't say when I started using them. I went to the yard for about 6 years in the mid 90's. Must have been when they showed up. My memory is a mess. But I don't keep too much work info in there. Don't want it. Just what I need.
Hollywooding. Good word for it. I will use it.

Years ago when YRC was on the picture taking kick, I saw a dock supervisor snap several pictures of the same load.
The old Polaroid days and yes he used them all night long for different loads. Just made sure the trailer number was not in the picture.

We take pictures of all outbound loads here at Hollywood 511. I hear ya El man have things changed‼️