ODFL | Starting Dock pay

Skidmark

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm a ex Yellow dock worker with 34 years but only 56 to young to draw my pension need 6 more yrs
Old Dominion is hiring here in Houston but pay rate was not posted. I applied last night can some please tell what the starting rate is ? Thank you

we have had people working with us in the past and currently that are former or even laid off union members. the big question is always if hired can you work without trying to organize here. that one thing is what will stop someone from getting hired.

Hiring former union people is based on the terminal and TM. I know of 2 former members in our line board. One came from Yellow a number of years ago and myself. Hired on in PHX and transferred up to the NW in 06.

We had a driver from UPS freight go to Old Dominion and he’s still there and loves it!
Everyone has their preference. We got guys at abf that came from OD and love Abf a lot more. I guess it just depends. At the end of the day I have nothing but love for anyone doing the same thing i do union or non union. But I do hear a lot about the ods in my areas would rather hire an ex union man last before anyone else

What is 401k plan and insurance for dock guys ?
50% match of up to 6% of weekly pay, health insurance is free for employee. Family is around $70-$90 a week theres two plans. It's not the best, if I'm remembering correctly something like 5k(individual)ded and 20% co ins. on the cheaper choice plan. Dock/drivers have same insurance offerings. Things probably vary by state and my numbers may be off on coverages.

50% match of up to 6% of weekly pay, health insurance is free for employee. Family is around $70-$90 a week theres two plans. It's not the best, if I'm remembering correctly something like 5k(individual)ded and 20% co ins. on the cheaper choice plan. Dock/drivers have same insurance offerings. Things probably vary by state and my numbers may be off on coverages.

So for a single employee the insurance is free but is it the top tier plan or would the employee have to pay for the better plan? Also what is the hourly rate for a local driver and is it a progressive top out?

od also does what they call the discretionary match and that’s where you make some cash. the do a match according to their profits for the year and how much you contributed. i’ve had them put in almost 10k one year when i put in a decent amount.
Correct. It's much more than that 3%. I'm old and put a lot in my 401k. About 18k . And they put about 10 to 11k the last 2 years. There is no max so it's based on however much you've put in.

I retired a year and a half ago. I maxed out my 401 K contribution for the last 10 years I was there. They had some good years and contributed between 10K and 13K. The March following my retirement they put 13K into my account because I had worked the required hours the previous year to be eligible for the discretionary contribution.