FedEx Freight | Stick with FedEx or Jump?

dsh69

TB Regular
Credits
During a hot economy is usually the best time to take advantage of moving your services to a different company.

Has anyone researched a BETTER company to go to? If so, why? Does the company pension or 401K match influence your decision? How about seniority? What HOLD does FedEx have on you to keep you from jumping?

Trying to start a new topic. If I jump from FedEx Freight it will be to a completely different field so benefits between companies doesn't interest me any.

Why do YOU stay with FXF?

Well, I’ll start with a boring reply:
My seniority. I’m almost 30 years in. I don’t want to start over. I don’t like change anymore. I work at a center with three 40+ year employees. We have good management. Yes, I realize that’s not the case everywhere. I’m really happy here.
In my region, the only comparable LTLs are UPSF and OD. But I can’t start at the UPS starting wage and I’m not sure if OD pays overtime in CA. They do in Washington.
For me to leave would also be in a different field. But doing this and being LAST is all I know....:17142:

I was really considering a full time Feeder driver position at UPS. I liked the language in their tentative contract about protection from PT's and Technology and that amazing pay scale...

But... Amazon does an insane amount of business with them. So, I'm not sure how secure a low seniority position will be over there when Amazon gets their last mile stuff kicking.

But, you asked why we stay at FedEx:

I enjoy driving and FedEx pays me well. :-)

Last edited:
Road driver here... I don’t know what else I could do that pays as much as this besides working for a steel mill. Working conditions are crap at the mills so I’m staying until I ever figure out what I want to do. I’m 32 and don’t have a passion for any particular career or trade. FXF is one of the better driving jobs as far as pay and working conditions. I have been trying to get into local public works jobs and highway maintainer gigs but I don’t have the right last name or know the right politicians to get me in. If I ever come across a career that isn’t like work and something I love I will jump on it. I live well within my means so I’m not stuck here so I can pay for a fat mortgage and $600 car loans.

What career field are you going into?

My seniority. I’m almost 30 years in. I don’t want to start over. I don’t like change anymore. I work at a center with three 40+ year employees. We have good management. Yes, I realize that’s not the case everywhere. I’m really happy here.
In my region, the only comparable LTLs are UPSF and OD. But I can’t start at the UPS starting wage and I’m not sure if OD pays overtime in CA. They do in Washington.
For me to leave would also be in a different field. But doing this and being LAST is all I know....:17142:
Dude, thanks for the input. That was probably the most honest answer I've seen you give to a question since I've been here :)

I think you're right to stay where you are. With your longevity you'll benefit the most from staying put and by NOT jumping :)

I was really considering a full time Feeder driver position at UPS. I liked the language in their tentative contract about protection from PT's and Technology and that amazing pay scale...

But... Amazon does an insane amount of business with them. So, I'm not sure how secure a low seniority position will be over there when Amazon gets their last mile stuff kicking.

Amazon is the wild card and UPS says so themselves. Still, Feeders are a hot topic and if you can get one, it may be worthwhile to stay. It may dry up and then what? UPSF seems to be the black sheep of the family. Some of us are trying to figure out if you get more hours with FXF than UPSF. FXF ALWAYS trys to get your 40 every week. UPS doesn't seem to do that but if they can make it up with more runs later, than it doesn't matter

The whole union/ management thing seems like it would be a distraction at UPS.

And throw in that 3 digit salary from Coop, and you are set!!

Road driver here... I don’t know what else I could do that pays as much as this besides working for a steel mill. Working conditions are crap at the mills so I’m staying until I ever figure out what I want to do. I’m 32 and don’t have a passion for any particular career or trade. FXF is one of the better driving jobs as far as pay and working conditions. I have been trying to get into local public works jobs and highway maintainer gigs but I don’t have the right last name or know the right politicians to get me in. If I ever come across a career that isn’t like work and something I love I will jump on it. I live well within my means so I’m not stuck here so I can pay for a fat mortgage and $600 car loans.

What career field are you going into?
I was in IT before getting laid-off in the Obama economy. 17 years with my ONE company.

I think you're doing right by staying with FXF.

I enjoy what I do everyday with FXF. As goofy as that sounds. I like meeting people and I like deadlines. And I will miss it, my colleagues and my management should I leave but I think I need to see my worth in my old career field.

That said that is if I get NO nibbles in my search, I'll be happy to stay with FXF

You know, I admit I did too. But low man on the totem pole there means you get laid off in the Winter. Don't know if I can put up with that as the new guy.

I’m here for the same reason as most of the old timers...we started with another company that was in our minds, “the best in the industry”, and then FX bought us. We hoped that FX would continue with the great traditions that we had built over time but that proved to be untrue...and by the time we realized, we were already 15-20 years in.

As for me personally, with the direction the industry is headed...all the buzzers, bells, whistles and cameras along with the auto-shifts, now platooning and soon to be autonomous trucks, etc...this just isn’t what I signed up for!! Once my daughters are through college (another 6 years), and if life doesn’t throw me any curveballs, I’m outta here!!

Where will I go and what will I do...it won’t matter at that point, but I can guarantee ya I won’t be driving a truck!!

I’m here for the same reason as most of the old timers...we started with another company that was in our minds, “the best in the industry”, and then FX bought us. We hoped that FX would continue with the great traditions that we had built over time but that proved to be untrue...and by the time we realized, we were already 15-20 years in.

As for me personally, with the direction the industry is headed...all the buzzers, bells, whistles and cameras along with the auto-shifts, now platooning and soon to be autonomous trucks, etc...this just isn’t what I signed up for!! Once my daughters are through college (another 6 years), and if life doesn’t throw me any curveballs, I’m outta here!!

Where will I go and what will I do...it won’t matter at that point, but I can guarantee ya I won’t be driving a truck!!
Ahh lets see maybe beer cart driver/sand trap racker just saying

I’m with Red on this. In a few years my kid should be on his way and then I’d like to walk away. Night driving is a ball buster in the social and health aspect of things. Triple digits are nice, but the trade off can be deadly. But if ya gotta drive truck, this place is better than most

The management is really good where I am and have been working with the same people who came over from different companies since the middle 80's .
I am pretty sure this will be my last full time job

I was in IT before getting laid-off in the Obama economy. 17 years with my ONE company.

I think you're doing right by staying with FXF.

I enjoy what I do everyday with FXF. As goofy as that sounds. I like meeting people and I like deadlines. And I will miss it, my colleagues and my management should I leave but I think I need to see my worth in my old career field.

That said that is if I get NO nibbles in my search, I'll be happy to stay with FXF
One thing few mention, but I will... Apply your alternate skills to a position WITHIN FedEx. The significant growth of FedEx Freight, combined with the extremely tight labor market, opens opportunities not seen in quite some time, if ever.

The variety of positions available is shocking. You mention a significant IT background. With the tech train running in high gear (here), you might find what you want internally. Internal career opportunities are to be posted twice a week. Check em out. Only then can you weigh the stability, vs. competitive wage, vs. benefit retention factors (among others), in making a decision.

Just an option worth looking at, IMHO, for anyone looking to make a change. Good luck.

I think in the last Fred Smith mailing he kept hammering home the term "Renewal". Which seems to be a completely tech based revamping of the company.

Instead of fighting it like many of us old dinosaurs are - listen to Swamp and ride the wave!!!

Very true Red, I feel the same. I'm hoping for 8 more years, then I don't care what i'm doing, but I guarantee I will be cool when its hot out and dry when its raining... lol

One thing few mention, but I will... Apply your alternate skills to a position WITHIN FedEx. The significant growth of FedEx Freight, combined with the extremely tight labor market, opens opportunities not seen in quite some time, if ever.

The variety of positions available is shocking. You mention a significant IT background. With the tech train running in high gear (here), you might find what you want internally. Internal career opportunities are to be posted twice a week. Check em out. Only then can you weigh the stability, vs. competitive wage, vs. benefit retention factors (among others), in making a decision.

Just an option worth looking at, IMHO, for anyone looking to make a change. Good luck.
I agree to an extent but most of us “old dinosaurs” only know one thing...driving a truck.

Yeah, we know freight but who wants to be a dock supervisor (no offense to the dock supervisors :hide:)?? RDA...a dead end job with no power or authority (can’t even hold a meeting without permission) plus the cut in pay?? Perhaps maintenance man...half the pay but work 4 days a week sitting in the a/c all day and when a problem arises you pick up the phone and call a vendor to come fix it...hmmmm :scratchhead:

Meh, I'd say the factors are your age and seniority level..

Overall, it's a steady job with ever sliding wages, and a joke for medical insurance.
The insurance is plenty cheap..... until you have to use it.
Current inflation is right at 5%.
The low pay grade top out needs to be at $30hr, and a $1.50hr raise THIS October to keep pace.
Wages for drivers slid a lot from 2008-current time, and haven't recovered.
The 2 raises last year was a good..... start to get drivers pay where it needs to be.

If wages dont keep pace with inflation, you're losing money. Bottom line.

$30hr, + a raise that is 1% above current inflation rates yearly.
Medical insurance should be 100% free to 10yr employees.

I left because the pay and benefits situation was consistently getting worse. I very much liked my job, and the people I worked with, but that don't pay bills.