Central Transport | Strait truck drivers forced to get class A

bet you those drivers won't get a pay increase. more revenue for vitran but same wage for driver. chasing greatness at work.

vitran did this before just before we got rid of all the straight trucks. guess that y they havent replaced those broke down junks

we should be using trailers with lift gates anyway, get more freight outbound, and ability to reload a decent load to bring back

If you can jump from a Class B to a Class A take the opportunity to do so, driver. Keep all your options open. Most of the other companies require it anyway, so it's no big deal. You've probably already have the skills so take advantage of this chance to increase your marketability for any future adventures in case "chasing greatness" fails.

bet you those drivers won't get a pay increase. more revenue for vitran but same wage for driver. chasing greatness at work.

Is there a different pay schedule for A vs B classes? maybe they never said anything to me because my whole terminal is class A, the straight truck is just an "extra"

Is there a different pay schedule for A vs B classes? maybe they never said anything to me because my whole terminal is class A, the straight truck is just an "extra"

from what I understand class b makes a couple of dollars less an hour.

before pjax eliminated the hiring of b-class drivers, the wage was a couple dollars difference. now they only hire a-class and will stick them in straight truck when needed. don't know why they did that though, who wants to drive a straight truck and do all that manual labor when they have an a-class license and can do dock drops, drivers just get pissed and go somewhere else. corporate views those trucks as a necessary evil. lol.

back in 2008 when vitran and p-jax became one, p-jax drivers were all supposed to get their doubles/triples and their class A, that was my understanding, but then again I guess it is differnt for differnt terminals, hey not wanted, I would love to see you go down a narrow country road that can only fit one car on in something other then a straight truck, and I would love to see you driver thru downtown Chicago in something other then a straight truck, so straight trucks are very very key for those customers that are unreachable without a straight truck

My terminal has both straight trucks (5) and (2) 32 ft liftgate trailers. Pay is the same. Straight trucks are used for medical and residential and downtown deliveries. They may force our guys to upgrade but the ones doing all this stuff will be the same ones even if they upgrade. Couple of years ago we all had off the day after Thanksgiving but there was a notice that straight trucks were running because of medical deliveries-- nursing homes etc. Most of us snickered as we left and said thank god we don't drive a straight truck. Oh buy the way the pay was increased to be the same when it was Pjax as an anti union tactic.

I don't see where the complaint is? when I started you had to have "A" and Haz Mat, and get your doubles within a month (which I already had anyway plus School Bus) so what is the complaint based on is what I don't get. Upgrade your DL and get a raise?

There not doing it to help the drivers they have something plannned up there sleeves no one at our terminal is falling for it what we have seen around here over the last year i wouldnt trust anyone as far as i can ****,
get your class a now u work weekends and nights just saying well let me get off the tablet before they track me lolol later!

at our terminal the straight truck used to be "punishment" for drivers, if you called in the day b4 u better believe u were in the str8 trk the next day, or id you got in late or missed a pick-up or del. but we have had a driver that drives the str8 trk everyday for the past 2 yrs now. and he has a class A cdl. and when he is done with the del and picks up on the str8 trk, he comes bk to the yard and goes out in a "big" trk and does a switch or a couple pick ups. so this subject is more less a waste of time, but then again I just remembered what company page I was on. lol:6781:

most of the straight truck drivers are at top scale and i would imagine vitran laying off those drivers if they get rid of the trucks, then hire a-class drivers at around $2 less per hour. they would also save on vacation and possibly a few holiday paid days during probation along with not having to train a bunch of drivers. chasing greatness at work. lol.

I don't see where the complaint is? when I started you had to have "A" and Haz Mat, and get your doubles within a month (which I already had anyway plus School Bus) so what is the complaint based on is what I don't get. Upgrade your DL and get a raise?

Now it's class A with doubles/triples/tanker and 30 days to get your HAZMAT because they couldn't get qualified drivers to apply. Had my doubles endorsment since '88, never used it until I got on here. Never wanted School Bus--would already be in jail for slapping the pizz out of some smart mouth little bast...mommies little angel.

i worked for pjax for 10 yrs as a staight truckdriver..got my class a on my own time....they would not let me drive a tractor trailer because of not having any experiance....so i told dean over in ****tsburg were to stick his job and i quit......best thing i have ever done...i dont care what they say,,,the pasture is greener on the otherside

Now it's class A with doubles/triples/tanker and 30 days to get your HAZMAT because they couldn't get qualified drivers to apply. Had my doubles endorsement since '88, never used it until I got on here. Never wanted School Bus--would already be in jail for slapping the pizz out of some smart mouth little bast...mommies little angel.

Since when to they require tanker? (I have that too from milk hauling years ago) Yes they have been known to play that discipline game here to, but it doesn't work on me, I just say thank you, it is easier to get around with in a big city, so why is this so bad (plus still get big truck wages) so now they don't give it to me anymore!!! I know a few have walked in without haz mat and heard they give them time to get it, but none of them have come to work here anyway, so guess it doesn't matter.

School Bus? I never did a route, I did the Charter runs during day when regular drivers were at their regular jobs, never had kids on without at least on teacher keeping an eye on them for me

New D.O.T. reg's effective July '13/maybe '14-can't remember- will require tanker because of the totes over 119 gallons/1001 #'s total. Does NOT have to be hazmat. I should check on the total weight. Most of the other boards have been bitching about it off and on for awhile now. You have yours but a lot of the other drivers don't, yet

Last edited by a moderator: