XPO | Straps on upper decks

We had 3 people injured recently by climbing on forks to get on the decks to strap freight. Is the freight more important than employees getting injured. There has to be a better way . Will they see the errors of their ways or is just the expense of doing business.
This is a serious dilemma and deserves to be treated as such

I've never heard a word about my MM/H. I've done PM LH, so I understand some people's sense of urgency. That said, it should be obvious this company cares about the rules so just do it the right way, with a ladder if you need.

I work days now, so when I'm doing outbound dock, I just take my time. Don't get in a hurry, don't get hurt. FOS usually sends me on my way before long, better to save on OT and get a DW to do it once the bill count gets low enough. On inbound I have no trouble breaking trailers and the beams and straps don't bother me. They go in a big pile by the dock plate.

A lot of older guys gripe about how it was never needed in the past, and I'm sure they're right. It's not the same operation anymore, though. Turnover is higher, and we all know not all work at FACs is by DSRs, but DWs. It's just not a career mentality. A step up from fast food, but some people just don't care enough to do better. Hence, damages. But drivers trying to get home is another problem.

There are a few ways I do this. First, there should be a bar behind the freight. I attach the strap to the wall, and throw it over that bar and then strap it to the wall. If that's not possible, I'll use the forks on the lift to climb up and strap it, but most of the time a bar will suffice.

Fortunately, FedEx isn't as draconian about these things.
I don’t know if they have the same set up as fedex. Are the xpo trailers the ones with the bars that are permanently in the trailer and slide up and down. And at fedex you manually put bars in place in trailer and take them out and u have the piece of wood that goes in the beams then u put the pallet on top of the wood. Cuz in that case it’s much easier because you are right u out a load bar behind and in front of the frieght ti lock it in as well as the freight sitting on the wood that’s sitting on the load bars

I don’t know if they have the same set up as fedex. Are the xpo trailers the ones with the bars that are permanently in the trailer and slide up and down. And at fedex you manually put bars in place in trailer and take them out and u have the piece of wood that goes in the beams then u put the pallet on top of the wood. Cuz in that case it’s much easier because you are right u out a load bar behind and in front of the frieght ti lock it in as well as the freight sitting on the wood that’s sitting on the load bars

We had those fixed load bars, but they stopped buying them because they'd always break and they occupied valuable real estate in the trailer.

A lot of older guys gripe about how it was never needed in the past, and I'm sure they're right. It's not the same operation anymore, though. Turnover is higher, and we all know not all work at FACs is by DSRs, but DWs. It's just not a career mentality. A step up from fast food, but some people just don't care enough to do better. Hence, damages. But drivers trying to get home is another problem.
You are correct. Back in the day there was something to work toward like bonus, and a pension. That's all gone. This place is just another job. The biggest problem here is driver come in start making more money then they ever have. Then they go shopping, new truck, boat, motorcycle etc. Next thing you know there in debt to their eyeballs and can't afford a pay cut to leave and now you a there prisoner.
I left took an hourly paycut, but I gained on average 15hrs a week of my life back. That's all I lost. PTO is better 3 weeks to start, 5yrs 4 weeks, 10yrs 5 weeks, then one day per year till you reach the max of 30 days. 7 sick day per year. Benefit are about the same. 401K is better. Oh wait I forgot the most important thing....The working condition are way better. All this and not driving a truck

That's the same system American Freightways had

You are correct. Back in the day there was something to work toward like bonus, and a pension. That's all gone. This place is just another job. The biggest problem here is driver come in start making more money then they ever have. Then they go shopping, new truck, boat, motorcycle etc. Next thing you know there in debt to their eyeballs and can't afford a pay cut to leave and now you a there prisoner.
I left took an hourly paycut, but I gained on average 15hrs a week of my life back. That's all I lost. PTO is better 3 weeks to start, 5yrs 4 weeks, 10yrs 5 weeks, then one day per year till you reach the max of 30 days. 7 sick day per year. Benefit are about the same. 401K is better. Oh wait I forgot the most important thing....The working condition are way better. All this and not driving a truck
Happy to hear it worked out for you. You a good man Fly.

I won’t do it. Not safe. You know what causes damages? Space. Eliminate space, freight can’t move. Load properly and there’s no issue. This zero defect thing is causing drivers to take unsafe and unnecessary risks standing on forks, climbing on racks and other foolishness.
So true.

I love the senior linehaul drivers. Most expensive assets doing the least work, all the while complaining about the company that pays on time.

"It used to be better." Nope. Being 40 was better, not the work. Now you're 60+, didn't plan and have to work, and blaming anything and anyone but yourself for having standards.

If you don't like it Wal Mart needs greeters. They'll give you a little scooter to sit in, too.

To answer your question: I attach straps using the hooks or snaps at each end of the fabric. That's how you make them stick to the wall. Same on the upper deck as on the floor. It's not hard.

I was talked to because I loaded 8 skids all of them 40x48x90 into an empty trailer. When I was done I put a strap across the last 2 skids. I was told I need to strap every skid to the wall by one of those zero defect people. I laughed and drove away
Thank you for reminding me why I left the company…