Estes | System Failure

Estands4evil

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm thinking we should have bought some system backups or something after the failure occured 3-25. :duh: I'm surprised no mention of this yet. Seemed like a pretty big deal.

it came back up at 2100 cst. but heard the west took longer. everything seemed to bounce right back.
was a big deal for a second i think.
the denver / kansas city snow is a bigger deal right now

it came back up at 2100 cst. but heard the west took longer. everything seemed to bounce right back.

Ya it must haved bounced back pretty quick. The only difference it made in my night was the cover sheet on my bills was the yellow sign-on sheet instead of the white printed manifest that's it. No big deal.

Nice to see that things can be run "old school" in a pinch. Freight gets moved, and everyone gets paid.. I remember years ago, my boss sitting at his desk, hand writing the bills and invoices at the end of each day.
I am worried about the day we go paperless like UPS.. I don't think we have the right 'IT' guys in place. :flame: You need numerous back ups, that never lose a nanosecond of data. Scary stuff not having a hard copy..

How'd you come out on the bizzard BB? Heard that baby was a bugger!

Nice to see that things can be run "old school" in a pinch. Freight gets moved, and everyone gets paid.. I remember years ago, my boss sitting at his desk, hand writing the bills and invoices at the end of each day.
I am worried about the day we go paperless like UPS.. I don't think we have the right 'IT' guys in place. :flame: You need numerous back ups, that never lose a nanosecond of data. Scary stuff not having a hard copy..

I'm with ya there, that paperless stuff is good till something electronic crashes and then look out.

I reckon us older hands just don't trust the new technology like the the younger generation does.

I'm with ya there, that paperless stuff is good till something electronic crashes and then look out.

I reckon us older hands just don't trust the new technology like the the younger generation does.

Having an upgrade in Technology wouldn't hurt us.. it being subsceptible to failure might. Being able to prevent the need for backstripping over loaded trailers, preventing comingling of hazardous materials, amongst other things.. would be a huge advantage over what we have now. I know you fellas wouldn't care for having GPS units on your trucks (might interfere with the safety breaks) but it'd help in knowing if a dispatch in the computer is actually true, which would help in planning of mixing and matching through loads off the road in/out of the break. I for one look down on the electronic freight movement, because they'll be able to tell exactly how long it's been since you moved your last bill. There again, it'd also help in knowing if a bill of "hot" freight has made it from one door to the next. Reducing the amount of times supervisors have to track a dockworker down and ask about said freight. So all in all.. it goes both ways with me. I'm guessing the system failure wasn't as big a deal at EOL terminals as it was at the breaks.. having to code 75+ strips from what I hear wasn't any fun.

Having an upgrade in Technology wouldn't hurt us.. it being subsceptible to failure might. Being able to prevent the need for backstripping over loaded trailers, preventing comingling of hazardous materials, amongst other things.. would be a huge advantage over what we have now. I know you fellas wouldn't care for having GPS units on your trucks (might interfere with the safety breaks) but it'd help in knowing if a dispatch in the computer is actually true, which would help in planning of mixing and matching through loads off the road in/out of the break. I for one look down on the electronic freight movement, because they'll be able to tell exactly how long it's been since you moved your last bill. There again, it'd also help in knowing if a bill of "hot" freight has made it from one door to the next. Reducing the amount of times supervisors have to track a dockworker down and ask about said freight. So all in all.. it goes both ways with me. I'm guessing the system failure wasn't as big a deal at EOL terminals as it was at the breaks.. having to code 75+ strips from what I hear wasn't any fun.

O ya I agree, I say bring on those new gadgets like the blackberries and all. We will benefit from them I think.

O ya I agree, I say bring on those new gadgets like the blackberries and all. We will benefit from them I think.

I know Saia already uses a system simular to the blackberry we're testing. They love it.Checks your dispatch, trailer numbers you'll be pulling, payroll and when the approximate time your load will be ready. It's going to be nice for us m/t drivers too. We're not there yet, but we're easing toward the 21st century.

I know Saia already uses a system simular to the blackberry we're testing. They love it.Checks your dispatch, trailer numbers you'll be pulling, payroll and when the approximate time your load will be ready. It's going to be nice for us m/t drivers too. We're not there yet, but we're easing toward the 21st century.

Ya I'm M/T myself and I can see were the blackberry is gonna help me in several ways.