Yellow | Teamster "Orphans" Legacy!

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
Congress, The White House, and the pension funds recently back-doored in the Multiemployer Pension Reform Act of 2014. This law allows deeply troubled multiemployer pension funds to cut benefits of already retired participants. Companies like YRCW and ABF are crying that the "orphans" are causing the problem. I don't know about you Brothers and Sisters, but many of the so-called "orphans" built this union and the trucking industry, and without them, we wouldn't even be here today! The "orphans" paid their dues, and their employers paid into the pension funds according to contractual agreements in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, etc.
Now the "orphans" are going to be the first "partioned" into the PBGC and the first to get their pension benefits cut? What a crock of :::shit:::! Whatever the pension fund trustees decide to do, they have to leave the "orphans" alone, and make any cuts across the board. I don't know about you, but I'll never forget what many of the "orphans" sacrificed for us...like this example from April of 1970 when many of these "orphans" were willing to "hit the bricks" for us! GOD BLESS THE TEAMSTERS!

dPgiLUG.jpg

RXruNyO.jpg

eDoX4Nj.jpg

Pictures from the 33 day long Teamster "wildcat strike" in April of 1970! Pictures taken near the old Roadway Express barn at 1355 Archwood Avenue in Akron, Ohio!
:usa:

How many Teamsters today would stare down the barrel of a rifle to get a good contract? These Teamsters (many of them now classified as orphans) did in April of 1970! Thank you Brothers and Sisters for your sacrifices! You'll NEVER be an "orphan" to me!

we shouldn't be here if it wasn't for **** poor management of the funds, the defrauding of the fund in investment which where bad or scams and to many people taking out fees to invest it when not necessary but to line some ones family member or beer drinking buddy and steal from me and you...............and also they new along time ago they couldn't keep raising how much you get a month should have been capped along time ago to sustain the fund so no cuts would have to happen in the future...........without some major changes where all screwed. to many taking out and not enough paying in simple math = don't have to be a high paid actuary ........ the funds ..........international all new this along long time ago.
n1sXGPV.jpg

:usa:

Why don't you ask dear leader Hoffa what he did with the 6+billion UPS gave him, or why about 12 years ago UPS Teamsters went on strike to stay in the Central States plan and 10 years later took the money? You want to blame someone blame your own self. Its supposed to be our union but greed and corruption have taken over.

Why don't you ask dear leader Hoffa what he did with the 6+billion UPS gave him, or why about 12 years ago UPS Teamsters went on strike to stay in the Central States plan and 10 years later took the money? You want to blame someone blame your own self. Its supposed to be our union but greed and corruption have taken over.
The reasons why the Central States Pension fund is in financial trouble is open to debate. Many reasons can be cited for its troubles. The point, which should be well taken, by Freightmaster is that the so-called Orphans are not the cause. They negotiated contracts and worked in good faith for companies that paid into the fund. It was not their fault that the companies they worked for are no longer in existence. These old timers helped to build the industry that you now use to support yourself. Without their sacrifice you would not have the wage and benefit package you currently have. Not to mention vacations, paid holidays, sick leave and the rights to a grievance procedure. It would be an insult to every individual who stood on a picket line and fought for the rights of all workers, to reduce their pensions now when they have given the best years of their lives to build the trucking industry of today. In the 1934 Teamsters strike men died for these rights. Are you willing to put you life on the line? You had better hope that YRC stays in business or you might be the next Orphan in line to get screwed.

1970, remember it well. We had a wildcat strike in SoCal. Drivers from other union companies were picketing our yard. Lost my job along with everyone else. A few years later I went to work for Viking. and the union company I worked for went out of business.

I experienced two Teamster strikes during the seventies. I started to get rowdy at the start of the strike in 1994. But then I noticed not many were following my lead. Myself and a few others wound up with a restraining order against us. In retrospect, I told myself, never again.

I experienced two Teamster strikes during the seventies. I started to get rowdy at the start of the strike in 1994. But then I noticed not many were following my lead. Myself and a few others wound up with a restraining order against us. In retrospect, I told myself, never again.

I learned the hard way many years ago that the guys who act the toughest in the drivers room or the diner and who say "lead and we'll follow" are nowhere to be seen when you lead the charge.

I remember when Bill Zollars started that Orphan talk.I was like what the heck is he talking about.I thought he was just saying that.To mask his own failure (s)

FM, you said the orphans paid what was owed at the time. It wasn't paid since, nor was the contractual withdrawal fees paid when those companies closed. So no, the orphans did not fulfil the contract. I am assuming you aren't taking enough from Your pocket to pay those withdrawl fees?
The US Treasury won't approve a plan that won't save the fund. We're about 20 billion short. Unless you have that and contribute it, its gonna happen. Your rhetoric isn't solving anything ....

thank you for posting the pics , they say it all , union members fought for what we have today , and this is why I ask WHY do guys keep voting YES ??? just look back in history next time before voting yes so quickly !!!

I'm not management. I'm not anti-union. I have a retirement in the fund as much as anyone. This thread like most, illustrates why people quit going to monthly union meetings. Instead of discussing biz, it dissolves into three hour ' why, in 1970 we threw rocks' rhetoric. Biz is never discussed....

FM, you said the orphans paid what was owed at the time. It wasn't paid since, nor was the contractual withdrawal fees paid when those companies closed. So no, the orphans did not fulfil the contract. I am assuming you aren't taking enough from Your pocket to pay those withdrawl fees?
The US Treasury won't approve a plan that won't save the fund. We're about 20 billion short. Unless you have that and contribute it, its gonna happen. Your rhetoric isn't solving anything ....
I am going to step up to the plate here. Kook, You say that no one is paying in for the Orphans, yes you are right. Think about this---- no one is paying for any retirees anymore even you. YRCW, ABF and others pay in for the working Guys and Gals. As the bankrupt companies did. They are no longer paying in for the retirees, even you----- who only worked less than a year for yellow, please correct me if I am wrong. Does that make you or anyone else who went to a company still in business any better than an Orphan? Now I know what is being said the money that is being paid in for the current workers is being paid out to the current retirees. So is it fair to say any retiree, orphan or not should be partitioned or cut to the bone? Is YELLOW OR ROADWAY considered Orphans? their breed is gone and YRCW was born and they are not even paying more that 25% in. So is it fair for all orphans to be cut and not the others retirees who are not being paid for. Even thou YRCW is paying some in for the current workers, is it fair for them to take a loss? This is going to be a wild ride for the next six to nine months while the leaders decide how to cut some and not others or make it even across the board. No one is going to like the outcome. We all know some corrections need to be made. Having said all this I liked the post by Freightmaster1 and agree with him. I was at the Detroit strike for railway express when Hoffa senior was there. I also helped out at two strikes in the 70's one in the 90's. I will also help out now, by giving my cut as ordered. However I may be involved on a million man march in Rosemont, ILL. If only the orphans have to take a hit. I believe in fair is fair and all should take equal cuts. Face it, new retirees will make as much as 3 to 3.5 thousand per month with no cut. Plus Soc Sec. Everyone can afford an equal small cut. I am not leaving any hope out there for me, I feel doomed. I WILL NOT GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT!!!. I know some will say some current retirees are still being funded, I do not think so. Go ahead and attack me now, I can take it. Be easy on me as I am an old Orphan. Not really the Kook adopted me. :violin::hide:

Last edited:
I am going to step up to the plate here. Kook, You say that no one is paying in for the Orphans, yes you are right. Think about this---- no one is paying for any retirees anymore even you. YRCW, ABF and others pay in for the working Guys and Gals. As the bankrupt companies did. They are no longer paying in for the retirees, even you----- who only worked less than a year for yellow, please correct me if I am wrong. Does that make you or anyone else who went to a company still in business any better than an Orphan? Now I know what is being said the money that is being paid in for the current workers is being paid out to the current retirees. So is it fair to say any retiree, orphan or not should be partitioned or cut to the bone? Is YELLOW OR ROADWAY considered Orphans? their breed is gone and YRCW was born and they are not even paying more that 25% in. So is it fair for all orphans to be cut and not the others retirees who are not being paid for. Even thou YRCW is paying some in for the current workers, is it fair for them to take a loss? This is going to be a wild ride for the next six to nine months while the leaders decide how to cut some and not others or make it even across the board. No one is going to like the outcome. We all know some corrections need to be made. Having said all this I liked the post by Freightmaster1 and agree with him. I was at the Detroit strike for railway express when Hoffa senior was there. I also helped out at two strikes in the 70's one in the 90's. I will also help out now, by giving my cut as ordered. However I may be involved on a million man march in Rosemont, ILL. If only the orphans have to take a hit. I believe in fair is fair and all should take equal cuts. Face it, new retirees will make as much as 3 to 3.5 thousand per month with no cut. Plus Soc Sec. Everyone can afford an equal small cut. I am not leaving any hope out there for me, I feel doomed. I WILL NOT GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT!!!. I know some will say some current retirees are still being funded, I do not think so. Go ahead and attack me now, I can take it. Be easy on me as I am an old Orphan. Not really the Kook adopted me. :violin::hide:
Haven't time to read it all. Worked 12 yrs Preston, 10 (not 1) yrs YF. I don't get emotional or jealous. Just know the Treas Dept won't accept less and it IS coming. No idea why you think yrc won't get cut too, but we see most things differently. Only those paying full pension will be protected, it sounds like. And with Treas Dept having to approve the rehabilitation, I'm betting mergers are in the future. A forced merger of a successful plan with Central States won't be happily accepted either

Last edited:
Reactions: ESP
Haven't time to read it all. Worked 12 yrs Preston, 10 (not 1) yrs YF. I don't get emotional or jealous. Just know the Treas Dept won't accept less and it IS coming
Thanks for correcting me. We all know the cuts are needed and coming. I did not say you did get emotional or jealous. Your post are positive for the most part. We all have our opinions on this very public and personal issue. I have a plan I am working on and will send to Central States Pension in care of Thomas Nyhan. I am sure he will listen to me. :hysterical: This plan will solve the issue, nobody will like. The Treasury will approve it, because it is like most plans out there. Stay tuned for future reports. ( as Paul would say Page Two ):6799:

Thanks for correcting me. We all know the cuts are needed and coming. I did not say you did get emotional or jealous. Your post are positive for the most part. We all have our opinions on this very public and personal issue. I have a plan I am working on and will send to Central States Pension in care of Thomas Nyhan. I am sure he will listen to me. :hysterical: This plan will solve the issue, nobody will like. The Treasury will approve it, because it is like most plans out there. Stay tuned for future reports. ( as Paul would say Page Two ):6799:
you know what they say: good luck with that!

Reactions: ESP