TForce | TFI Consultant and Independent Director to Retire

i don't care that he's retiring; What i want to know is, what was his EXPERIENCE in this field?

Why don't we hire people for management positions who have actually WORKED in LTL? Specifically, driving, docking, os+d etc? People who are actually in touch with what it takes to physically MOVE a 2000lb pallet for instance?

Would this be detrimental to the company? If so, how?

Example:
While i don't particularly like General Mills, at least he started out on the dock and worked on the dock for many years. Therefore i trust what he has to say regarding dock operations much more than someone who has never worked on the dock.

If he's says it's ok to load 1600 lbs. on the top layer of a load rack, then i have confidence in that.

i don't care that he's retiring; What i want to know is, what was his EXPERIENCE in this field?

Why don't we hire people for management positions who have actually WORKED in LTL? Specifically, driving, docking, os+d etc? People who are actually in touch with what it takes to physically MOVE a 2000lb pallet for instance?

Would this be detrimental to the company? If so, how?

Example:
While i don't particularly like General Mills, at least he started out on the dock and worked on the dock for many years. Therefore i trust what he has to say regarding dock operations much more than someone who has never worked on the dock.

If he's says it's ok to load 1600 lbs. on the top layer of a load rack, then i have confidence in that.
I would be calling Be'dard on this, and demand answers!

I would be calling Be'dard on this, and demand answers!
i think the best move we can make is to hire guys (people) who have actual LTL experience. They also have to have business sense too.

i think that's one of the problems with today's companies: It's all about money: If they DO actually hire people who have actual experience and knowledge of day-to-day operations, then the company may fear that these experienced people may not be number conscious.

So, companies resign to: let's just make it simple and hire only numbers-people who only care about the bottom line. To hell with actual knowledge of the product or operations.

i think the best move we can make is to hire guys (people) who have actual LTL experience. They also have to have business sense too.

i think that's one of the problems with today's companies: It's all about money: If they DO actually hire people who have actual experience and knowledge of day-to-day operations, then the company may fear that these experienced people may not be number conscious.

So, companies resign to: let's just make it simple and hire only numbers-people who only care about the bottom line. To hell with actual knowledge of the product or operations.
I think you should keep posting this over and over... like dozens of others have been saying for years before. Just keep stating the obvious. "we need to hire people with LTL experience for an LTL company"... After all these years, complaining about hasn't helped. now we are Laying off dozens of Full time employees at least at one terminal while other companies are hiring... one company with as much as $10,000 sign on bonuses. And two that are hiring are UNION. One is looking to implement Furloughs with some benefits, another is giving substantial bonuses for the labor force.

A company giving hard layoffs the day before Thanksgiving gives its employees a questionable future, in both its employees...and the future of the company itself.

UPS cleared the system of all freight just before the Best, Last, and Final in 2018, to scare us into voting on this contract. I think TFI or Eager Ex UPS managers are going to try to do the same with the 2023 contract negotiations. And it just started.

Us against them. It will be interesting to see where the Union lands.

Last edited: