SAIA | The Camera Situation Has Hit A New Low, Where Is The Bottom?

Had a fella tell me one of his customers he delivers to... accounts in their name instead of whoever shipped it... say he gets the bill for the shipment before he gets the shipment. Kinda unethical IMHO.
Exactly, gets the BILL (invoice) for the movement on Net 30 term.

Had a fella tell me one of his customers he delivers to... accounts in their name instead of whoever shipped it... say he gets the bill for the shipment before he gets the shipment. Kinda unethical IMHO.
I have delivered to many businesses that require a check. Many reasons why, bad credit, no account with carrier, etc.

3PLP's generally run net 30 on billing
Makes no difference, still happens upon pick up. If you want to test this, Miss a couple pickups while your making a delivery and see what the response is. I’ve rode around for a week with freight on my truck and it was cutoff from delivery to make pickups. And it’s removed from your manifest as if it was never on to start.

Common misconception. LTL gets paid from the shipper not the consignee no matter who pays the bill. Yes the delivery is included in the total cost but they get paid when picked up and “expected” to deliver. Often that freight is held hostage till we see fit to get it to you because it’s already paid.unless a guarante is purchased then it’s a priority because the up charge will be free if not delivered in that time and no company likes doing work for free.
Ha ha ha doesnt seem to be a problem for them having trucking company employees working for free

Makes no difference, still happens upon pick up. If you want to test this, Miss a couple pickups while your making a delivery and see what the response is. I’ve rode around for a week with freight on my truck and it was cutoff from delivery to make pickups. And it’s removed from your manifest as if it was never on to start.
The reason that happens is because of internal accounting practices of LTL companies and the way ontime service percentage is calculated. The management live and die by these numbers. It is much easier for a TM to hide missed deliveries with excuses that are tough to verify where a missed pickup not so much. The other situation is much rarer and the check is not always for the transportation service. It may be for the freight itself.

In addition , the philosophy is "we already have the freight for the delivery , if we don't deliver it no other carrier is going to come to our dock and take it" whereas that pickup gets missed or you tell them you aren't going to make it and it may well end up on another carrier.

I have seen shippers play a game many times where they'll run up a freight bill with one carrier over say three months to the point that the carrier stops picking up that freight and the shipper just switches to another carrier. The shippers will play one carrier off of another and use the credit line from the carrier for the transportation bills like a merry go round over the course of several quarters.

Last edited:
When I was P&D, the TM would tell me that as long as Starbucks and Lowe’s got delivered, the rest could wait. Pickups were always the highest priority. Plenty of times I can back with deliveries, and a nice fresh manifest was waiting for me with the freight from my trailer removed.

Common misconception. LTL gets paid from the shipper not the consignee no matter who pays the bill. Yes the delivery is included in the total cost but they get paid when picked up and “expected” to deliver. Often that freight is held hostage till we see fit to get it to you because it’s already paid.unless a guarante is purchased then it’s a priority because the up charge will be free if not delivered in that time and no company likes doing work for free.
On a collect shipment, the consignee pays. Further, on a collect shipment AND the section 7 is signed on the BOL, if the carrier doesn’t collect from the consignee, the carrier is prevented from collecting from the shipper.

When I was P&D, the TM would tell me that as long as Starbucks and Lowe’s got delivered, the rest could wait. Pickups were always the highest priority. Plenty of times I can back with deliveries, and a nice fresh manifest was waiting for me with the freight from my trailer removed.
It’s still that way. Any pu or delivery that is a national account or quoted for saia pricing is a must, everyone else can go pound mud in there eyes. Especially 3 pls

On a collect shipment, the consignee pays. Further, on a collect shipment AND the section 7 is signed on the BOL, if the carrier doesn’t collect from the consignee, the carrier is prevented from collecting from the shipper.
I’m just referring to a driver collect check at time if delivery. It’s 100% for the shipment cost only and if they don’t pay, they don’t receive. I know this from calling accounts department to verify the check they give me is ok. Also from consigne.

I’m just referring to a driver collect check at time if delivery. It’s 100% for the shipment cost only and if they don’t pay, they don’t receive. I know this from calling accounts department to verify the check they give me is ok. Also from consigne.
And it must be made it to saia.

We dont have that problem at R&L. Deliver first, pickemups after. They frown on returns, at least at my barn

We dont have that problem at R&L. Deliver first, pickemups after. They frown on returns, at least at my barn
Well imo, that’s the way it should go since you agreed on that very process from the beginning but there’s a lot of books cooking and numbers become more important and that’s a shame. Our returns are frowned too, that’s why they appear to have never left the dock.

Well imo, that’s the way it should go since you agreed on that very process from the beginning but there’s a lot of books cooking and numbers become more important and that’s a shame. Our returns are frowned too, that’s why they appear to have never left the dock.
Around here after 12 they gotta eat em. No more deeletin stuff by then

EXACTLY! Management hiding service failures easier to do on inbound, false appointment, can't locate, late arrival, no freight, etc etc

I have delivered to many businesses that require a check. Many reasons why, bad credit, no account with carrier, etc.
Most customers i had to get checks from were totally insulted and had to explain to me that they are not a bum and when i tell the dispatch they dont have a check im instructed to close the door and leave and the customer says their calling the police

Check is one thing... that’s bad enough. Sayin “certified check only” on it is another story. Folks git all kindsa irate when they hear that.

Wheel and tire places are the worst. In over 20 years of doin this, I’ve encountered ONE of them kinda places that I didnt hafta git a cashiers check from.

Check is one thing... that’s bad enough. Sayin “certified check only” on it is another story. Folks git all kindsa irate when they hear that.

Wheel and tire places are the worst. In over 20 years of doin this, I’ve encountered ONE of them kinda places that I didnt hafta git a cashiers check from.
Yep, tire shops and ethnic specific hair/beauty stores!