The Car Racket

slavenomore

TB Legend
Credits
So...new thread on the racket.
Needed some pads on the front and rear discs.
Latest racket I'm so happy to have come across.

Rear ones were fine although they do have 2 different sized rotors for the rear of the same car...making buying the right ones more difficult.

But the real racket is in the front
On this car they make one pad with the jigsaw puzzle cut nubs on the end to slide into the caliper bracket up to the rotor.

So it took me 1 return at NAPA and 2 at AutoZone and a trip to a dealer to explain the problem. The car is a little over 10 years old. The dealer parts guy matched up pics and diagrams...and told me the news. He said he sees the problem...there are no longer any pads with tabs cut to fit the bracket grooves. He pulled up all the retail auto store brands and his own..and zoomed at the tab cuts.

The aftermarket parts are cut larger than the original tabs that slide in with a very slightly different angle.
The only way to make them fit would be to grind off the tabs to make them fit...risking spending another $40 if you wreck one of the 8 tabs in the 4-pack of pads.

But the real racket lies in the real solution to the scam.

Since they know that you can always just file or Dremmel a little rust which gets in the grooved of the bracket which the pads slide in ..and they know that you'll probably never need to replace the caliper bracket......they have found a way to MAKE you NEED to buy new caliper brackets.

New caliper brackets MUST be purchased if you want to replace to pads. Because there are absolutely no pads with tabs that are made anymore, which will fit into the slots of the stock caliper brackets.

So a $40 job for the front pads automatically becomes a $150-$200 job.

When things were not all a money racket shakedown ...the job would have costed me $45 for the front and rear...because NAPA had a sale.

But since you must replace the brackets along with the pads.....it's looking like the front and rear will become $150.

....and I'll still need to see IF the tabs are cut to fit the aftermarket caliper brackets.
That remains to be seen for nobody has the new brackets in stock ..I have to order them to even find out. .....and it still remains to be seen if the holes for the calipers will line up properly with the new brackets..$40 might turn into $300.

Engineers ..not exactly my favorite people.
Overpaid ....no doubt about that from my viewpoint.

Last edited:
What brand car? This doesn't sound like a common situation. We need to know the brand so it can be avoided.
2013 Dodge Avenger.
There are 6 other cars which use the same one. I went to the junkyards hoping for a match but before going I searched their inventory online. And it comes up with 6 other Chrysler and Jeeps which use it. I took wheels off of 3 other Avengers and none had aftermarket caliper brackets. They all had the same as I do. And the aftermarket tabs are too big.

I went to 2 of these in the last 2 days but only looked for the Avenger.

But if you put in your car in the search it'll give other cars that match the particular part.. Multiple cars use that bracket.
I might check out some other makes today. I had a Saturn part I was looking for also and did manage to pull that part and get it home. I might take a drive to one which has the most of all makes and models that use them., and maybe I'll get lucky and find one with an aftermarket set.
Only costs $2 to get in.
I didn't write down all the other makes and models which match the first day. Only looked for Avengers. I only went for the Saturn yesterday.
$50/bracket new if I don't want to wait. I need 2.
Advance has them but he'll get one for $25 and the other for $40. And I might wait a week. Autozones are all $50 or so.

Might be the store brand... I bought the sale ones and yes .. got them on the grinder to make them fit.. wasn't driving 40 minutes round trip to have them tell me that it is what it is..
Same vehicle different brand ( next pad change) all good..
But definitely a few chosen words spoken...lol

Might be the store brand... I bought the sale ones and yes .. got them on the grinder to make them fit.. wasn't driving 40 minutes round trip to have them tell me that it is what it is..
Same vehicle different brand ( next pad change) all good..
But definitely a few chosen words spoken...lol
That's great but when you know you break things that normal people don't break.....it gets risky for me to grind down 8 tabs in a $40 4-pack of pads.
Crack one or grind to much, and I'd have to spend $80...or maybe $120 by the time I'm done wrecking stuff.

I did go to the dealer....and he put all of them together on the screen, including the originals.
And his, nor any other aftermarket pad tabs match the originals. He can see there's a difference in cuts. Like a jigsaw puzzle...the originals have just narrower rounded, pretty straight tabs. All aftermarket have a reversed-R angled tab and they are cut over 1/16 " thicker or more. Maybe 1/8.
It's a racket making you replace the caliper brackets which would never need replacing.
Instead of a $40 set of pads ...they're forcing you to buy $50 aftermarket caliper brackets for each side (totaling $100) , in in order to change pads. Which they know you're gonna need to eventually change pads.. It's the only way for a correct fit.

They don't do it on the rear. But the rear is another $40.

So they force an $80 job into a $180 job.
I'm hoping somebody changed their caliper brackets before junking their car to the scrapyard. By Monday I hope to get our their and start ripping wheels off and matching the pads and grooves.

Last edited:
That's great but when you know you break things that normal people don't break.....it gets risky for me to grind down 8 tabs in a $40 4-pack of pads.
Crack one or grind to much, and I'd have to spend $80...or maybe $120 by the time I'm done wrecking stuff.

I did go to the dealer....and he put all of them together on the screen, including the originals.
And his, nor any other aftermarket pad tabs match the originals. He can see there's a difference in cuts. Like a jigsaw puzzle...the originals have just narrower rounded, pretty straight tabs. All aftermarket have a reversed-R angled tab and they are cut over 1/16 " thicker or more. Maybe 1/8.
It's a racket making you replace the caliper brackets which would never need replacing.
Instead of a $40 set of pads ...they're forcing you to buy $50 aftermarket caliper brackets for each side (totaling $100) , in in order to change pads. Which they know you're gonna need to eventually change pads.. It's the only way for a correct fit.

They don't do it on the rear. But the rear is another $40.

So they force an $80 job into a $180 job.
I'm hoping somebody changed their caliper brackets before junking their car to the scrapyard. By Monday I hope to get our their and start ripping wheels off and matching the pads and grooves.
Good luck my friend.. I'm not saying I want to be making them fit.. but it's only happened once or twice for me...
And I know what you're talking about with the angle of the cut... It isn't off much but enough..
Good luck 🤞

Idk I guess I can pick up where I left off on my mechanical adventures here in this new thread.

So...didn't get to pull any wheels checking for aftermarket caliper brackets yet.
But did have a couple nice peaceful hot days in the junkyard.
And since I succeeded in getting a job done without breaking anything..I'm feeling optimistic about finding a used set for cheap.

Today's job was pulling a climate control unit for my old Saturn ion.....which has started everytime for months now since I figured out to straighten the pushrod seated in the clutch peddle.

Anyways ...no fan for A/C or defrost for a couple weeks.
Replaced blower motor resistor....nope.
Replaced blower motor with one from junkyard....nope.
I just tested that one....never put it in. The old one's still in.
Should've tested for volts to resistor first...wouldn't have wasted the $24 on the junkyard one. They obviously won't take it back...

No power to resistor
So....pulled climate control unit (dash piece with power button for A/C defrost...knobs for fan, etc) at junkyard.

Put that in my car......ahhhhhh.
A/C blowing at every speed. $2 to get in. $16 for the unit. They sell used for $50- over $100 on Ebay.
Maybe tomorrow get out searching for the caliper brackets.

They got people by the horn anymore. My
F-150, takes 10 minutes to change the headlight bulb, my wife’s Chrysler 200, it goes to our mechanic to have the fender and whatever else taken off to get to the freakin bulb. Just had her Pentastar top end rebuild done. My mechanic told me that these engines are pretty much the same, crap. Good luck Slave, I’m a dummy when it comes to major mechanical work.

buddy of mine owns a repair shop. i popped in 1 day and he's taking the fender and nose off a newer upscale Volkswagon to replace a headlight. 2 1/2 hours labor @ 90 dollars an hour. customer comes in to pick up car and just about has a heart attack after getting the bill

buddy of mine owns a repair shop. i popped in 1 day and he's taking the fender and nose off a newer upscale Volkswagon to replace a headlight. 2 1/2 hours labor @ 90 dollars an hour. customer comes in to pick up car and just about has a heart attack after getting the bill
Great times we live in.
As if they didn't already get enough for the new VW....they kick you straight on in the nuts like that on top of it. And have no guilt whatsoever

Idk I guess I can pick up where I left off on my mechanical adventures here in this new thread.

So...didn't get to pull any wheels checking for aftermarket caliper brackets yet.
But did have a couple nice peaceful hot days in the junkyard.
And since I succeeded in getting a job done without breaking anything..I'm feeling optimistic about finding a used set for cheap.

Today's job was pulling a climate control unit for my old Saturn ion.....which has started everytime for months now since I figured out to straighten the pushrod seated in the clutch peddle.

Anyways ...no fan for A/C or defrost for a couple weeks.
Replaced blower motor resistor....nope.
Replaced blower motor with one from junkyard....nope.
I just tested that one....never put it in. The old one's still in.
Should've tested for volts to resistor first...wouldn't have wasted the $24 on the junkyard one. They obviously won't take it back...

No power to resistor
So....pulled climate control unit (dash piece with power button for A/C defrost...knobs for fan, etc) at junkyard.

Put that in my car......ahhhhhh.
A/C blowing at every speed. $2 to get in. $16 for the unit. They sell used for $50- over $100 on Ebay.
Maybe tomorrow get out searching for the caliper brackets.

Don't be afraid of a grinder with the budget pads, my ex wife's f150 had a similar situation, all the replacement pads had oversized tabs. I just knocked a little off at a time until they slid back and forth in the bracket grooves freely. Seems like the equipment used to cut the backing plate is pretty sloppy at the manufacturer.

Don't be afraid of a grinder with the budget pads, my ex wife's f150 had a similar situation, all the replacement pads had oversized tabs. I just knocked a little off at a time until they slid back and forth in the bracket grooves freely. Seems like the equipment used to cut the backing plate is pretty sloppy at the manufacturer.
Just got back from the junkyard.
First one had the right cut on the caliper brackets. R shaped cuts vs rounded nub cuts.

They must've replace something. The pads were newer and had R shaped like the AutoZone and other aftermarket sellers have, instead of the ones mine have.

Took brackets into AutoZone and yes, the ones they sell do fit.
The only issue left is if the brackets line up with the calipers on our car. Pretty hot day. Might wait till it cools down and go out in a couple hours.

$11 for both brackets
As opposed to over $100 for 2 new ones at AutoZone or Advance Auto.

I was at a friend's business a while back when a man cam ion & asked what the bill would be to replace a heater core which was mounted on the firewall behind the airbags & everything in the dash. The flat rate time was just less than 8 hours. The guy threw a fit & said "_ _ _ _ grease monkeys are getting rich, if I had the tools I could do it myself in about two hours".

I was at a friend's business a while back when a man cam ion & asked what the bill would be to replace a heater core which was mounted on the firewall behind the airbags & everything in the dash. The flat rate time was just less than 8 hours. The guy threw a fit & said "_ _ _ _ grease monkeys are getting rich, if I had the tools I could do it myself in about two hours".
Remember putting a heater core in my 1987 custom deluxe took me about 45 minutes. That was probably 20 years ago

They really don't want you fixing things anymore, which is probably fine with most knuckleheads today anyhow.
That's sorta the paradox. They don't mind you fixing things, IF you're smart enough, lol. I just replaced the corroded transmission pan on my 2008 Sequoia. Toyota has done away with conventional filling tubes/dipsticks, and consider their transmission fluid to be "lifetime".

Basically there's a fill plug on the side of the transmission, and an overflow plug in the pan. You overfill the trans, get it up to operating temp, run it through the gears while parked, then open the overflow plug and let the excess fluid out. It's a lot more involved than a conventional tube, but it's a built in failsafe, and a lot of guys are running around with 500-600k miles on them with no rebuild.

This is why so many mechanics are so ornery, lol. If that clown could do it in double the time, he'd have the tools.

I usually side with mechanics because of idiots like that.

This is why so many mechanics are so ornery, lol. If that clown could do it in double the time, he'd have the tools.

I usually side with mechanics because of idiots like that.
Yep. I’m sure grease monkeys “round up” labor time, but I don’t try to haggle on that. I haggle with them on the price of parts….just to get within normal retail rates…..I’m not haggling for wholesale… :17142: