XPO | The "Just How Dumb Are You?" Thread

primadona

TB Lurker
Credits
Do you drive around on the forklift with your foot hanging off the side?
I thought I'd ask since I just heard about a guy who will probably have to have his foot amputated because he had it hanging off and got crushed between the lift and another object much stronger than human flesh and bone.
I've seen this for years and am constantly amazed at how dumb seemingly intelligent people can be.
Is there a comfort factor to this ? Do you think you look cool? Does it make it easier to get your rotund frame on and off the lift?
Help me understand your reasoning if you are one of those who do this.
If you are one of those guys, talk to someone at AY who saw this happen and hopefully you will be smacked across the face with the reality of how dangerous this is.

i used to do it, till i was told how dangerous it is and past "nightmare stories".

i guess to answer your above question, it's pretty comfy when u get used to it, ur leg just hanging off to the side. Your not at full potential though, if i needed to do something quick and/or precise, i would get my foot on that clutch like 2nd brake for faster hydraulic movement or what not.

Do you drive around on the forklift with your foot hanging off the side?
I thought I'd ask since I just heard about a guy who will probably have to have his foot amputated because he had it hanging off and got crushed between the lift and another object much stronger than human flesh and bone.
I've seen this for years and am constantly amazed at how dumb seemingly intelligent people can be.
Is there a comfort factor to this ? Do you think you look cool? Does it make it easier to get your rotund frame on and off the lift?
Help me understand your reasoning if you are one of those who do this.
If you are one of those guys, talk to someone at AY who saw this happen and hopefully you will be smacked across the face with the reality of how dangerous this is.
He WAS a new guy.

The impact was described to me as a boot explosion. The footwear breached as did the foot and several bones were exposed....without having removed the boot.

Do expect the "Foot stays within the confines of the lift truck policy" to be strictly enforced in the future.

So, if this guy gets his foot amputated he will likely lose his job? Did this person work for Con-way? Was he a driver,a dockworker?

There is no reason in the world to justify unsafe work actions, especially hanging any part of your body outside the riding area of a fork lift. (Even a finger hanging out on the side of the forklift as you drive)
It was pure stupidity, especially after forklift training and re-training. Work comp will surely pay the bills.

Hope this person learns a valuable lesson.

So, if this guy gets his foot amputated he will likely lose his job? Did this person work for Con-way? Was he a driver,a dockworker?

There is no reason in the world to justify unsafe work actions, especially hanging any part of your body outside the riding area of a fork lift. (Even a finger hanging out on the side of the forklift as you drive)
It was pure stupidity, especially after forklift training and re-training. Work comp will surely pay the bills.

Hope this person learns a valuable lesson.
I believe he was fairly new. Like I said though, I've seen this for years with long-term guys. I think this was just an obvious accident waiting to happen. Supervisors should have been on top of this crap long ago.
As someone said before, there will probably be another new safety policy or perhaps a nice big metal cage with soft foam inserts surrounding the entire forklift to protect us from our own stupidity.

I believe he was fairly new. Like I said though, I've seen this for years with long-term guys. I think this was just an obvious accident waiting to happen. Supervisors should have been on top of this crap long ago.
As someone said before, there will probably be another new safety policy or perhaps a nice big metal cage with soft foam inserts surrounding the entire forklift to protect us from our own stupidity.

I signed a conference report today that stated that you are required to keep all parts of your body inside the forklift at all times whether it is in motion or not

I signed a conference report today that stated that you are required to keep all parts of your body inside the forklift at all times whether it is in motion or not

More like a "Common sense" report. I saw a driver bend his foot back,when he had it hanging out the left side of his forklift. He was loading a skid close to the wall. His steel toes nearly touched his shin. He tore a few ligaments.

:wavey:
Never did this, and never will!
To me it is just plain common sense, but I still see it happening a lot when I'm on linehaul and working other barns.

When I see a foot hanging out like that, It makes me cringe because I can just imagine the pain involved. Kind of like watching a knee surgery operation on the Discovery channel when they hammer a steel chisel into the knee cap.

No offence to any of my Con-way brothers, but I've also seen some who drive these things absolulely crazy. Especially for a congested barn. It's like they leave their common sense and good judgement with their truck.

Full speed ahead then turn on a dime, put it in reverse and floor it without looking behind them. I've been parked well out of the way looking through papers and have been hit. Hit twice in two weeks. :TR10driving03:
Not to mention how many close calls I've witnessed. All the more reason to want to keep your body parts in.
Stay safe everyone. :shift:

they need to make a full figured lift I am 6 foot 3 and I have seen guys north of 6 foot 6. They look like grape ape in those lifts. But that is no sense to hang a foot. Alot of driver have been getting hurt on the dock. I think the hours are getting to us and alot of us have been sick too.

To go one step further, make sure you apply your emergency brake AT ALL TIMES that jeep is not in motion. Especially when unattended/idling. I learned my lesson the hard way. No harm done, but was nearly crushed! Happy no one else got hurt thanks to another driver wrangling it to a stop!:poster_oops:

I tell u what else is dumb on a lift.... people who reach thru the boom above the steering wheel to adjust a box or whatever to keep from having to get offf.... one guy did this and hit the controls with his leg and was damn near decapitated .... don't have the link or anything, heard about this years ago, don't even remember the name of the company

Dont know how I almost forgot. On 9/11/00 I did smash my foot between the back of the foot rest and a pole protecting the door.. I had just my toes off the motor. So I am a dumb arse. Hurt like you know what and missed 3 weeks work. Nothing broken, just bruised real good.

I tell u what else is dumb on a lift.... people who reach thru the boom above the steering wheel to adjust a box or whatever to keep from having to get offf.... one guy did this and hit the controls with his leg and was damn near decapitated .... don't have the link or anything, heard about this years ago, don't even remember the name of the company

This happened at XHG at least 10 years ago.The driver died in the accident.I think he was out of one of the New Jersey terminals.

That's why we have the metal "cage" on the front now. Visibility sacrificed for "safety".