The Simple Way to Make Football Safer (TIME)

Let's go a year WITHOUT the face masks like the old days. That will stop them from using their helmets as a weapon.......that is, if they value their face and nose.

The tackling "form" has reached an all time low. Most of them don't even wrap up anymore, they just want the big hit, and hope that the guy falls down. If you want to teach a kid how to "form" tackle, don't have them study the NFL players.

Let's go a year WITHOUT the face masks like the old days. That will stop them from using their helmets as a weapon.......that is, if they value their face and nose.

The tackling "form" has reached an all time low. Most of them don't even wrap up anymore, they just want the big hit, and hope that the guy falls down. If you want to teach a kid how to "form" tackle, don't have them study the NFL players.
Thats exactly what Mike Ditka said. You want to teach proper tackling, remove the helmets.

We always pounded proper tackling form into my son's head. He wasn't very big but always used proper technique and was really good at tackling in the open field. (Played DB) He told me how they were taught to tackle in practice, and their drills taught them to tackle high. This was one of the few times that I told him to NOT follow directions. Especially for a smaller player. You go high, you get ran over. Not to mention the high hits often result in helmet to helmet collisions. The poor tackling has gotten worse and more dangerous in my opinion, because the kids are being taught the wrong form.