FedEx Freight | The Union Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, they'd prolly go to paying higher premiums than we do in order to keep the same insurance that they currently enjoy which would be like dropping a bomb on them compared to what they currently pay!! It's mathematically impossible for them to avoid the Cadillac tax and keep what they currently enjoy without paying higher premiums!! And I can guarantee you no company wants to pay the Cadillac tax, that tax is imposed at 40% per covered employee that exceeds the tax threshold which would cost companies millions of extra dollars...ain't gonna happen!!
Whatever they get in their next contract concerning healthcare may/may not be better than what we have but you can bet your a$$ they'll be paying a lot more out of their own pockets for it...and with them recently taking wage concessions, I seriously doubt they'll receive anything close in the form of a wage increase in order to offset the increase of their out of pocket cost!!

Only 2 are taking wage concessions. They do and will always have a better benefits package than us.

Our insurance isnt in the cadillac tax zone so they, red and john deere are reaching anyway. If its so cut and dried clear why do you two need to lie. John Deere, show me where the Teamsters union has brought up health insurance sense Obama care. Lies, all of it!!!

Our insurance isnt in the cadillac tax zone so they, red and john deere are reaching anyway. If its so cut and dried clear why do you two need to lie. John Deere, show me where the Teamsters union has brought up health insurance sense Obama care. Lies, all of it!!!
Our insurance is on the doorstep of the Cadillac tax threshold, it's obvious that you don't understand how Obummercare calculates the employer's contribution when considering the tax. I suggest you educate yourself on the subject instead of listening to the Kool-aid being spewed by certain people with an agenda!!

As for the IBT and Obummercare, why would Hoffa Jr himself have written a letter to Congress with concerns about Obummercare and what the ramifications would mean to the unions if this tax wasn't repealed??
http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-inte...roy-the-very-health-and-wellbeing-of-workers/

You are, in fact, mistaken on the income tax... Everyone pays the same on the 1st $10-$20,000 earned. At some point (don't know where the line is), you pay more, and more, until you reach the top rate. Don't confuse withholding with the actual tax paid, at the end of the year.

Also, don't confuse "entitlement" with established compensation. Follow along with me , Red... Your Government mandates a penalty for insurance above a certain level. Your Company reduces said coverage to stay below that amount. This reduction saves Your Company quite a significant sum, thus the term "windfall". That windfall comes at our expense, through reduced benefit value. The Company has saved, while we have lost ground on our established compensation package. Wouldn't you agree?

With negotiated contracts, the employee is likely to remain whole.
You and I both know that the dock, the city, and the road are mostly in three different income tax brackets, thus the road nets a less percentage than a dock worker. If our compensation is to remain the same, then the gross percentage loss to the Govt through income tax should be made up elsewhere within our compensation package by your premise...and let's not forget since we're actually doubled taxed, we as road drivers, due to our gross income, are hit again at the end of the year resulting in a lower percentage in our returns.

Who said the company reduces said coverage? Our coverage is basically the same, we're just being forced by the Govt to pay more for it. The company hasn't "saved" anything due to the rising cost of healthcare in general, if anything they'd be happy with a wash IMO.

With negotiated contracts, the employee is "likely" to get what the company is willing to give, otherwise they either end up taking concessions or the company closes the doors.

Our insurance is on the doorstep of the Cadillac tax threshold, it's obvious that you don't understand how Obummercare calculates the employer's contribution when considering the tax. I suggest you educate yourself on the subject instead of listening to the Kool-aid being spewed by certain people with an agenda!!

As for the IBT and Obummercare, why would Hoffa Jr himself have written a letter to Congress with concerns about Obummercare and what the ramifications would mean to the unions if this tax wasn't repealed??
http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-inte...roy-the-very-health-and-wellbeing-of-workers/
So where's the numbers at because our numbers aren't even close to hitting the Cadillac tax. 195 dollars a week is a little over 10k. Thought the line was 18k? So where am I wrong? Liar!

First before you call me a liar show me where I said your insurance is in the "Cadillac tax zone" I never mentioned Fedex's insurance that I remember. And I also never brought up the Teamsters directly, although Red beat me to the punch by posting the link to Hoffa's letter about Obamacare. But I do know my union is concerned with it as are many other unions. If you google unions and the Cadillac tax you'll find plenty.

Just for grins here's another one for you.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...ir-health-benefits-cause-nightmare-scenarios/

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matt-v...g-teamsters-want-obamacare-repealed-when-will

You can't call someone a liar without some kind of evidence they lied, if you have any bring it on.

First before you call me a liar show me where I said your insurance is in the "Cadillac tax zone" I never mentioned Fedex's insurance that I remember. And I also never brought up the Teamsters directly, although Red beat me to the punch by posting the link to Hoffa's letter about Obamacare. But I do know my union is concerned with it as are many other unions. If you google unions and the Cadillac tax you'll find plenty.

Just for grins here's another one for you.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...ir-health-benefits-cause-nightmare-scenarios/

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matt-v...g-teamsters-want-obamacare-repealed-when-will

You can't call someone a liar without some kind of evidence they lied, if you have any bring it on.
It's in the union debate thread. If it wasn't about the union then who was it about?

It's in the union debate thread. If it wasn't about the union then who was it about?

I was talking about unions in general, this started as a response to Crazy Trucker referring to how a contract woks, which he was referring to Red saying "union companies". There are more unions than the Teamsters and they can be a good indication of how things can work. And by the way I'm the one who moved it to the union debate thread. Now back to calling me a liar what did I lie about?

Both the articles that you list are showing The worries of cutting hours to not pay for insurance. We have contracts for insurance and we are in the trucking industry. Not the construction or other trades. I didn't know Hoffa actually said anything though so ya got me there. You guys are grabbing at straws to try to drag down the unions and im not letting you spread wrong info. The other trades can adjust their contracts to accommodate these changes with the laws. Gloom and doom is all you two say about anything union oriented

I was talking about unions in general, this started as a response to Crazy Trucker referring to how a contract woks, which he was referring to Red saying "union companies". There are more unions than the Teamsters and they can be a good indication of how things can work. And by the way I'm the one who moved it to the union debate thread. Now back to calling me a liar what did I lie about?

We don't really care about the other unions, the only union in this debate is the teamsters.

Do they...there's more to the benefits pakage than just a paycheck.
Like some things that money can't buy. Pride in being part of the worlds largest LTL trucking company that was built by a union free work force. Pride in wearing your uniform and driving well maintained and new equipment. Pride in working at state of the art terminals. YRC may have some great guys working for them but the company as a whole is falling apart. They are union !!! If that's what the union does to companies I think I would pass. They may not be solely responsible for the problems of YRC but they are most certainly a contributing factor.

Last edited:
YRC .. The house that the Teamsters help build. I sure wouldn't want to take my customers to one of their terminals. I sure wouldn't want them to get a good look at the fleet. Not much pride in the company. And it shows.

Here we go again lets refresh they have better retirement, better insurance, and for the majority make more on hour. Tell me what you don't understand lol.
I can't speak for all employees but from a road driver's perspective....
Better health insurance for now, 2018 is just around the corner....where I'm located they're in the CSPF which is broke and they've all received letters saying their pensions will be cut, true speculation is to be somewhere close to 50%. With our portable pension along with our 401K, I'm projecting around four times as much a month as the CSPF projected $1,500-$1,800 a month after the said cuts....they make more an hour/mile on paper but what they have to go through to make what they make is far more than us, like riding in old beat up equipment [including driving a different truck per leg (yes, they even swap truck and trailers at a meet point)] while driving those POS down the road at 62-63 mph and going backwards up every hill!! And let's not forget while they're in a motel or bunkhouse hoping to get home by Sat morning, we're at home every night and every weekend (some in time to enjoy dinner with the family). So while they may earn more per mile driving slower, older, less efficient equipment, it takes them longer to make the run. We have newer, better running/pulling equipment (we drive the same truck every day, all day) and we're able to turn the same miles faster allowing us to make more money on the hour. So when we add up what they make and how long it took them to make it vs what we make and how long it takes us to make it, we actually make more per hour worked AND we're at home every night/day and weekends while doing it!!
I'm not sure about you but time is money and I consider my time to be very valuable!!

Last edited:
You too! You're the one talking about the Cadillac tax! Take your own advice
That's right...we are on the currently close to the threshold for the Cadillac tax, $10,200 per individual $27,500 for family...I know the facts, do some research and get back to me when you learn them too.

Last edited:
Like some things that money can't buy. Pride in being part of the worlds largest LTL trucking company that was built by a union free work force. Pride in wearing your uniform and driving well maintained and new equipment. Pride in working at state of the art terminals. YRC may have some great guys working for them but the company as a whole is falling apart. They are union !!! If that's what the union does to companies I think I would pass. They may not be solely responsible for the problems of YRC but they are most certainly a contributing factor.
These guys think making the most money, with the best healthcare, and the best retirement is the most important thing but when they run the company into the ground while achieving these things, it leaves them with no company to recieve anything from!!
Just ask any of the union drivers from one of the more than 500 union LTL companies that have closed their doors since deregulation if in hindsight would they have taken less in order to keep the doors open and I'm sure many would say yes.
But then again, the IBT has no one to blame but themselves for allowing the CSPF to get into the shape it's in today...it's the IBT who sold out every union employee in the fund in exchange for allowing UPS to buy their way out then allowing UPS to relieve themselves from a $2 Billion deficit in exchange for organizing Overnite/UPSF!!

Last edited:
That's right...we are on the currently close to the threshold for the Cadillac tax, $10,200 per individual $27,500 for family...I know the facts, do some research and get back to me when you learn them too.
That is pension and health care together. You get it straight

Status
Not open for further replies.