They Don't Call Me Racer For Nothing!

Awesome pictures Racer. Sweet ride!

I used to race years ago in Wisconsin. Had 76 Malibu in the street stock class. I wasn't that good at it (never made it out of the slow heat), but I had a blast and drank a lot of beer. I have a few pictures, but can't seem to scan anything.

I just had a thought.... If I had spent less money on beer and more money on my car.... I might have been able to get out of the slow heat! Oh well.

Great thread!

I drag raced one season,back in the day,before a lot of you were a twinkle in you'er daddies eye.
The year was 1964 I had a 78 ford 2 door sedan,I won my class every week,except the last week.
Some guy wanted a trophy so bad he cheated to beat me,seeing it was the last race I let him get away with it.

Besides some race fan who had watched me all season,met me in the pits & offered to trade me his 32 ford 5 window coup.
Even though it needed some more tweaking to make it road worthy,a chopped & channeled coup was a no brainer swap for me.

He converted my drag car into a stock car & raced on the local dirt tracks.
It took me 2 years & a little money to get the coup street ready.

Ah those were the days when you didn't have to take out a mortgage to buy a vehicle.

I drag raced one season,back in the day,before a lot of you were a twinkle in you'er daddies eye.
The year was 1964 I had a 78 ford 2 door sedan,I won my class every week,except the last week.
Some guy wanted a trophy so bad he cheated to beat me,seeing it was the last race I let him get away with it.

Besides some race fan who had watched me all season,met me in the pits & offered to trade me his 32 ford 5 window coup.
Even though it needed some more tweaking to make it road worthy,a chopped & channeled coup was a no brainer swap for me.

He converted my drag car into a stock car & raced on the local dirt tracks.
It took me 2 years & a little money to get the coup street ready.

Ah those were the days when you didn't have to take out a mortgage to buy a vehicle.
I read someplace that the average car payment now is 475 a month..lol

Awesome pictures Racer. Sweet ride!

Thanks!

I used to race years ago in Wisconsin. Had 76 Malibu in the street stock class. I wasn't that good at it (never made it out of the slow heat), but I had a blast and drank a lot of beer.

I used to help a few different friends over the years with the Friday and Saturday night roundy round thing. It was lots of fun, and I even got to hot lap a few times during practice.

One of the sports car clubs out my way had a few meets at the local fairground circle track, Evergreen Speedway, in Monroe, WA. There are 5/8 mile, 3/8 mile and 1/8 mile ovals, each on inside the other. The road racing guys used all three. We went counter clockwise on the 5/8, clockwise on the 3/8, then counterclockwise on the 1/8 and back onto the 5/8. It was a hoot to be sure.

I also drove a semi for a guy who had a Winston West car back in the early 1990's. We went to all the West coast tracks, and some of the Western states, like Tucson Raceway in Tuscon, AZ and Colorado National Speedway near Denver, Co.

When they ran at Evergreen in Monroe the promoters brought in ringers from the Winston Cup. One year it was Davey Allison (just before he was killed, and Kenny Schrader. After qualifying our car was tore up some and we were thrashing to get it ready for the main event on Sunday. The Saturday night Northwest Tour event was running, and the winner was Schrader. As always they brought in the top 3 finishers for post race teardown. Now we were in the garage area trying to get the car repaired and ready for the next day, and we were drinking beer. When the officials and teams started pushing the cars in for the inspection we all got freaked out and someone said, "Quick! Hide the beer! We're not supposed to have any in here!"

About that time Kenny Schrader walked up to see what we were doing, and asked, "Hey! Anybody got any beer?"

So we all sat around drinking beer with Kenny and some of the other drivers and crew members.

Also, the road course race at Sears Point is always run together with the Cup. That was always cool to rub elbows with the guys in the highest level of the sport. When our car and driver was performing well we would get interviewed, and the cameras would be focused on us during pit stops.

My small moment of fame.

Good times.

I just had a thought.... If I had spent less money on beer and more money on my car.... I might have been able to get out of the slow heat! Oh well.

The key is to know when to say "when". Like Spuds Makenzie, the "Original" Party Animal.

spuds.jpg

Great thread!

Again, thanks!

Thanks!

I used to help a few different friends over the years with the Friday and Saturday night roundy round thing. It was lots of fun, and I even got to hot lap a few times during practice.

One of the sports car clubs out my way had a few meets at the local fairground circle track, Evergreen Speedway, in Monroe, WA. There are 5/8 mile, 3/8 mile and 1/8 mile ovals, each on inside the other. The road racing guys used all three. We went counter clockwise on the 5/8, clockwise on the 3/8, then counterclockwise on the 1/8 and back onto the 5/8. It was a hoot to be sure.

I also drove a semi for a guy who had a Winston West car back in the early 1990's. We went to all the West coast tracks, and some of the Western states, like Tucson Raceway in Tuscon, AZ and Colorado National Speedway near Denver, Co.

When they ran at Evergreen in Monroe the promoters brought in ringers from the Winston Cup. One year it was Davey Allison (just before he was killed, and Kenny Schrader. After qualifying our car was tore up some and we were thrashing to get it ready for the main event on Sunday. The Saturday night Northwest Tour event was running, and the winner was Schrader. As always they brought in the top 3 finishers for post race teardown. Now we were in the garage area trying to get the car repaired and ready for the next day, and we were drinking beer. When the officials and teams started pushing the cars in for the inspection we all got freaked out and someone said, "Quick! Hide the beer! We're not supposed to have any in here!"

About that time Kenny Schrader walked up to see what we were doing, and asked, "Hey! Anybody got any beer?"

So we all sat around drinking beer with Kenny and some of the other drivers and crew members.

Also, the road course race at Sears Point is always run together with the Cup. That was always cool to rub elbows with the guys in the highest level of the sport. When our car and driver was performing well we would get interviewed, and the cameras would be focused on us during pit stops.

My small moment of fame.

Good times.

The key is to know when to say "when". Like Spuds Makenzie, the "Original" Party Animal.

spuds.jpg

Again, thanks!
Kenny was a blast to hang out with...lol...drank a few Bud's with him too. Things sure are different in Cup now. Not much Good-ole-boy left in that series

Anyone recognize the colors of this Camaro?

VintageAtPR006_3_zpsab140393.jpg

How about this Mustang?

VintageAtPR007_4A_zps87bdc06a.jpg

Well I see no one took the bait.

The Camaro was built by Smokey Yunick (not sure who drove it), the Mustang was driven by George Follmer (a similar Mustang was driven by Parnelli Jones, the cars were built by Bud Moore of NASCAR fame), and both cars were campaigned in the Trans Am series.

Both cars are now owned by Vic Edelbrock.

Maybe nobody took the bait as you say.
However a lot of us were able to go down memory lane,& share some fun times we had back in the day.

Maybe nobody took the bait as you say.

Oh! Maybe "bait" wasn't the right word. I hope my post wasn't taken poorly. Perhaps I should have worded it better.

However a lot of us were able to go down memory lane,& share some fun times we had back in the day.

For that it looks like I may have succeeded. Many folks have clearly enjoyed the pictures, and for sure it has rekindled fond memories.

I enjoyed the CanAm series in days gone by. NASCAR wasn't the only show in town but got a lot of attention. The CanAm series was a good rivalry between Ford & Chevrolet.

I enjoyed the CanAm series in days gone by. NASCAR wasn't the only show in town but got a lot of attention. The CanAm series was a good rivalry between Ford & Chevrolet.

I really need to go through my slides and negatives, and get them scanned in. I went to a SOVREN meet one year and the theme that year was the Can Am series. There was just about every surviving Can Am car there. The sound of the big block V-8 engines wide open as they went down the straights is like nothing you will ever hear.

My son has the RB26..he just told me, to finish his car...it would be another 14k!! Gotta give him props for being organized but damn!

I used to be in NASCAR, I won the cup but turned it down and gave up my car and sponsership, the sport just ain't what it once was, thats when I got into truckin.

I never looked back at the world of fame, fortune, and women galore...who needs it!!