XPO | Time to get rid of unsafe tires

biscuit

TB Lurker
Credits
After the snow we have had in the northeast its time to band together to force con-way to get rid of new UNSAFE tires they are useless in snow. These trucks suck enough in snow without them putting racing slicks on them they won't even work with chains there is nothing to bite onto.

Let me guess they are fuel saving tires low rolling resistance smartway certified. They are probably getting a tax break from government for being a green company! !! Same at FedEx

We have run them for two years now. Last year we had a heavy snow year from nov to April. No one got stuck. You just have to slow down a bit and drive for the conditions. They are a harder compound, less resistance tire.

We have run them for two years now. Last year we had a heavy snow year from nov to April. No one got stuck. You just have to slow down a bit and drive for the conditions. They are a harder compound, less resistance tire.
Are you running flatlands or hill country?

My biggest problem is that I get stuck on flat ground. I use a couple sets of cheaters to get going.

Pretty much if it looks that bad any more I just refuse to continue. That stop can wait until tomorrow or it is cleared.

Safety always. It's their truck and their rules.

relax fellas... replacements are coming
as these tires wear they become traction-less... right now they will remove them at 12/32". Last year, last winter these tires were all new and fresh. Going into this winter many units were operating these with 30% or less tread life remaining. Fellas rule number one is protect yourself. Ya gotta check these tires during your pre-trip and when they are worn to the point of the center tread not having any cross grooves left demand they get replaced.
the cross tread are called sipes and the linked video shows how important the cross treads are to our safety

relax fellas... replacements are coming
as these tires wear they become traction-less... right now they will remove them at 12/32". Last year, last winter these tires were all new and fresh. Going into this winter many units were operating these with 30% or less tread life remaining. Fellas rule number one is protect yourself. Ya gotta check these tires during your pre-trip and when they are worn to the point of the center tread not having any cross grooves left demand they get replaced.
the cross tread are called sipes and the linked video shows how important the cross treads are to our safety

Sounds like corporate propaganda to me

I agree these new tires are worthless
I also agree on these tires being useless. 38 years behind the wheel, all 48 states and all of Canada in all kinds of road conditions. Never have I drove a truck with such worthless, unsafe drive tires. I swear four new steer tires on the drives Would perform better than the crap we are now running. Just my two cents for what it is worth.

I also agree on these tires being useless. 38 years behind the wheel, all 48 states and all of Canada in all kinds of road conditions. Never have I drove a truck with such worthless, unsafe drive tires. I swear four new steer tires on the drives Would perform better than the crap we are now running. Just my two cents for what it is worth.

I look at all the other LTL's tractors and I don't see anyone else running slicks.

A lot of people said that these tires were meant for twin screw. Which would make sense.

I lose traction in a little rain.

We voiced our concerns. They ignored us. Told us it will all be okay. That we will adjust.

Adjust we have. If it looks like I will get stuck. We can come back tomorrow. And I drive slower than a grandma.

Safety always. Safety forever.

Well mic them . If they are under12/32 have them replaced. I did. Adjust your driving to the equipment you ar running. Man up, let's have less whining and just truck. This year alone we have many drivers turn around because of weather! Sad part is their run was either 79 miles, 99 miles or 163 miles. And the senior guys that are all on 250+miles made it both ways. The new bread or ( entitlement) drivers do not want to pay their dues just the big bucks. They feel they need to hammer down and not adjust their speed because they loose money, then blame it on the equipment they are in. I could go on but why. The new breed of truckers should just get out of this industry.

Well mic them . If they are under12/32 have them replaced. I did. Adjust your driving to the equipment you ar running. Man up, let's have less whining and just truck. This year alone we have many drivers turn around because of weather! Sad part is their run was either 79 miles, 99 miles or 163 miles. And the senior guys that are all on 250+miles made it both ways. The new bread or ( entitlement) drivers do not want to pay their dues just the big bucks. They feel they need to hammer down and not adjust their speed because they loose money, then blame it on the equipment they are in. I could go on but why. The new breed of truckers should just get out of this industry.

Sure. Sure. That doesn't sound crodgity at all. But this new breed is also dealing with ramifications of all these new laws and equipment. Your cab over didn't have any camera in it. This rig does. You are at the end of your career. What do you have to lose ? They are just starting theirs. And the CSA keeps it all on file forever.

These younger drivers aren't " ( entitled ) ". They are realistic. Trucking doesn't pay crap any more. It's better than working at McDonalds. But so what ? You get what you pay for. No pension. Crap health care. Rules and regulations set up to pin the driver.

Ever hear the phrase " ain't got a dime in it " ? They know the risk and the reward. Would you jeopardize everything for one nights work ? $300 ? You would risk a career chasing $300 ? Be honest.

Sure. Sure. That doesn't sound crodgity at all. But this new breed is also dealing with ramifications of all these new laws and equipment. Your cab over didn't have any camera in it. This rig does. You are at the end of your career. What do you have to lose ? They are just starting theirs. And the CSA keeps it all on file forever.

These younger drivers aren't " ( entitled ) ". They are realistic. Trucking doesn't pay crap any more. It's better than working at McDonalds. But so what ? You get what you pay for. No pension. Crap health care. Rules and regulations set up to pin the driver.

Ever hear the phrase " ain't got a dime in it " ? They know the risk and the reward. Would you jeopardize everything for one nights work ? $300 ? You would risk a career chasing $300 ? Be honest.
I have been there we all have. I got into this industry because I love the road, driving, yes I have been in it awhile. I was in it before deregulation, the I.c.c. Was the watchdog . I could loose my drive after one wreck. Lots of unfairness. Be we did it. If you tell me making more than 100 grand is not enough for a high school grad. Than you are living out of your means. I think the point was lost. When live gives you lemons just make lemonade. Look at positive things. Yes we have to pay for insurance but that is the way it is. No pension for us max the 401 and I.r.a. Lost lots too, I complain but! I also drive a truck and am proud of it. With that being said let just truck.