Tractor Trailer Looses Container

That's in your neighborhood, Foot. How high is the overpass? Never have liked seeing those containers on a flatbed. See most guys using straps to hold them down. Those need to always be on a sled in my opinion.
I don't know what the exact height is, but I never saw or heard of any other hits on that overpass. You're right, straps just don't cut it, even if the Container is empty. Especially on those aluminum arched flatbeds. I

I thought and was under the impression that if they are on flatbeds, they have to be chained at the corners and strapped. Obviously, I'm wrong. I do see some that are chained that way.
Maybe some skateboard Trucker with experience in this type of operation will post on this topic.
I admit, I do not know or have any flatbed expertise. I would like to know the rule on this.

I thought and was under the impression that if they are on flatbeds, they have to be chained at the corners and strapped. Obviously, I'm wrong. I do see some that are chained that way.
Maybe some skateboard Trucker with experience in this type of operation will post on this topic.
I admit, I do not know or have any flatbed expertise. I would like to know the rule on this.
Flatbeds always have tied down empty containers with straps. You can only haul the 8' 6" boxes though, not the 9' 6" high cubes. I hauled containers for years and never saw one the curved flatbed have 2 empty 20ft's on them. Due to the curve on the deck I wonder if the front of the 2nd container was sitting higher and caught the overpass. The 1st container was still on the deck.

When I was working city at Overnite we used to haul Containers out of the port of New York.
Overnite had to lease the Container frames from the port to transport them.

The frames were all tandem axles & the Containers were bolted to all 4 corners of those frames.

If you ever go to any of the shipping ports on the East,or West coast you will see those frames staked up on top of each other.
When I was hauling Containers we never had any come loose.

Heres the best video I could find that shows how a Container should be transported.

Last edited: