FedEx Freight | Turning freight down daily

That was

That was my point on another thread. In the article, they mention 4-5 shippers that were effected. They have ground drop, hand truck freight that the consignee won’t help with. It’s loser freight to begin with.
The problem with FedEx cutting all those shipping customer's is that those shipper's may all do business with the better paying customer's they keep. You may and or in some cases will loose a good customer because they know you screwed over one of there customer's.

Just had a old very good friend / shipper call to tell me they dumped them . He says it's left a black mark and if the things ever turn around there they will not include FDX in any way . Sad to hear this . This guy / place treated drivers like family , we had our own bathroom that was spotless , chairs , office with ac and inexpensive vending along with what ever was brought in by the workers to share , free pop , water , coffee . Truly the nicest people ever , gone !

Last edited:
Just had a old very good friend / shipper call to tell me they dumped them . He says it's left a black mark and if the things ever turns around there they will not include FDX in any way . Sad to hear this . This guy / place treated drivers like family , we had our own bathroom that was spotless , chairs , office with ac and inexpensive vending along with what ever was brought in by the workers to share , free pop , water , coffee . Truly the nicest people ever , gone !
Sucks, but it's business.
If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense.

Just an opinion, but I wonder why at especially the smaller, EOL terminals, they don’t just have their city board people be combination driver-dock, have them strip inbound, load their own runs, then hit the street, and only have evening outbound part time dock?
My terminal used to do this. As in 2/3 years ago. Now we are being told by the district guy in STL we can't afford the overtime. So if we are short on the dock it's up to us road drivers to volunteer to come in and break freight, before we drive to the hubs to break freight.

We have also hired PT dock for the inbound shift and stopped allowing full time city drivers to work it as a way of stopping over time. Even if the city guys aren't getting 40 hours a week.

My terminal used to do this. As in 2/3 years ago. Now we are being told by the district guy in STL we can't afford the overtime. So if we are short on the dock it's up to us road drivers to volunteer to come in and break freight, before we drive to the hubs to break freight.

We have also hired PT dock for the inbound shift and stopped allowing full time city drivers to work it as a way of stopping over time. Even if the city guys aren't getting 40 hours a week.
If the ot stops I will be leaving. City drivers at bottom gpd don't make ::shit:: without ot.

Sounds like the management needs to refigure some numbers on actual costs?

These customers aren’t like easily distracted drivers where they can get their sins forgiven for a couple of hamburgers, some ice cream and a few “gee wiz fellas, we’re sorry, we’ll treat you better and we’ll never act like that again….promise.” They didn’t even attempt to work with them to get some understanding and some goodwill by giving them a weeks notice. That’s a trust issue and word of mouth travels faster than anything. I’m all for getting rid of trash customers and the PITA freight, but maybe we didn’t have to be such dicks about it.

If the ot stops I will be leaving. City drivers at bottom gpd don't make **** without ot.
We are bottom GDP.
Sounds like the management needs to refigure some numbers on actual costs?
Oh no see you don't understand. Our TM doesn't actually run the terminal. Our big wig in STL tells our TM how many drivers he can run/dock workers/dock hours/OT hours/city drivers hours/office hours/whatever other made up number he can have per day and when he doesn't hit them all he gets chewed out.

Then we repeat this daily. We tried to explain that more city drivers out would generally mean less in OT paid. Also more freight delivered and picked up.

It's like talking to the floor.

We are bottom GDP.

Oh no see you don't understand. Our TM doesn't actually run the terminal. Our big wig in STL tells our TM how many drivers he can run/dock workers/dock hours/OT hours/city drivers hours/office hours/whatever other made up number he can have per day and when he doesn't hit them all he gets chewed out.

Then we repeat this daily. We tried to explain that more city drivers out would generally mean less in OT paid. Also more freight delivered and picked up.

It's like talking to the floor.
It is kind of sad now with some people that common sense, and customer service, is outweighed by statistical numbers and profit. But I totally believe what you say about a TM led around by his nose, because he is clueless.

It is kind of sad now with some people that common sense, and customer service, is outweighed by statistical numbers and profit. But I totally believe what you say about a TM led around by his nose, because he is clueless.
Customer service is a non issue at our terminal. And our freight levels and customer loss shows it.

And tying this all back together, all of our customer losses are our fault. We don't deliver the freight on time, for whatever reason we have. We don't pick up everything we're scheduled for. Our outbound manager continually rolls freight for the next day, tells customers we just don't have the space, or in general just doesn't want to mess with the freight. He would rather have all of our drivers back early so he can get the outbound shut down early then to actually pick up all the freight we had available. And it's not a capacity issue. We let city drivers sit at home everyday and half of our road runs are only taking one trailer and an empty.

I left our city operation and became a road driver because I was tired of being yelled at by our customers why we weren't showing up everyday, knowing that we had room and knowing that the only reason we didn't pick their freight up is because we chose not to. And I'm not talking about garbage freight that's hard to move I'm talking about quality, well packaged freight.

It doesn't surprise me reading the article saying that FedEx is trying to drop customers nationwide. Our terminal has been doing it for years.

Customer service is a non issue at our terminal. And our freight levels and customer loss shows it.

And tying this all back together, all of our customer losses are our fault. We don't deliver the freight on time, for whatever reason we have. We don't pick up everything we're scheduled for. Our outbound manager continually rolls freight for the next day, tells customers we just don't have the space, or in general just doesn't want to mess with the freight. He would rather have all of our drivers back early so he can get the outbound shut down early then to actually pick up all the freight we had available. And it's not a capacity issue. We let city drivers sit at home everyday and half of our road runs are only taking one trailer and an empty.

I left our city operation and became a road driver because I was tired of being yelled at by our customers why we weren't showing up everyday, knowing that we had room and knowing that the only reason we didn't pick their freight up is because we chose not to. And I'm not talking about garbage freight that's hard to move I'm talking about quality, well packaged freight.

It doesn't surprise me reading the article saying that FedEx is trying to drop customers nationwide. Our terminal has been doing it for years.

Sounds familiar :scratchhead:

A Birdie.

A little birdie singing this tune....

Due to heavy shipping demands, FedEx Freight has temporarily suspended pick up of outbound shipments from our Champaign distribution center starting Monday, June 14th. During this time Truck/LTL shipments will be changed to R+L Logistics or XPO Conway to process.”

A Birdie.

A little birdie singing this tune....

Due to heavy shipping demands, FedEx Freight has temporarily suspended pick up of outbound shipments from our Champaign distribution center starting Monday, June 14th. During this time Truck/LTL shipments will be changed to R+L Logistics or XPO Conway to process.”
Thank god they didn’t say Abf, now R+L will have volume issues & Xpo will have twice the problems they already have….

When a customer would start to come down on me, I would write down the regional managers phone #, and ask that he call him directly.