TForce | Union to Begin UPS Freight Negotiations

Mike01

TB Lurker
Credits
Contract Will Serve As National Model

September 5, 2006

The Teamsters Union will kick off talks with UPS Freight on Wednesday, September 6 for the 125 drivers and dockworkers in Indianapolis who recently formed a union with Local 135.

The union plans to negotiate a strong contract—a national model—that will serve as a tool to organize the more than 300 other UPS Freight terminals nationwide

Read more

I would not put a whole lot of value into these talks ,until if you have forgotten, that it was stated by UPS that they would be introducing the new company handbook in october along with the wage and benefit package. That is when we as mushrooms of buster brown will find out if big brother really wants to play fair ball?????!!!

A Company Handbook will never be equal to a written and signed Contract.....you have no say in a Company Handbook, you just accept what they decide is best for you. Get involved....fight to get what you want.

crisscross38 said:
I would not put a whole lot of value into these talks ,until if you have forgotten, that it was stated by UPS that they would be introducing the new company handbook in october along with the wage and benefit package. That is when we as mushrooms of buster brown will find out if big brother really wants to play fair ball?????!!!
First of all, welcome to the boards. This is just Buster Brown tightening its reign over us. Contract or not. The country club is gone. And along with it our useless upper management is being shown the door. To be honest with you, it can't happen fast enough!! As far as the contract talks, UPS wants to get this done ASAP. This lessens any possible disruptions that could arise especially with the 100th anniversary next year. Remember UPS has been involved with the the union for almost 100 years and knows how to make it work and make money as an organized company. Oh in case you haven't realized, we are just a piece of meat that fits into a seat. Good luck in seeking fairness oh sporey one.

Is this contract to be sold to all of the remaining UPS Freight terminals as well as all other non-union LTL freight companies?

However I already posted that a contract containing just language has to be signed into Teamster union law, before another issuse can be brought into play.

Wages,overtime,delay pay,as well as anyother benefits will be fourth coming only after the contract language is established.
This acording to the local union rep.'s I talked too.

Apostolic said:
However I already posted that a contract containing just language has to be signed into Teamster union law, before another issuse can be brought into play.
Apo,
And I corrected you.......there's no such thing as Teamster law. The language might be the first issue they tackle before going on to wages, benefits, etc., but nothing will have to be voted on twice by the UPSF workforce.....the entire Contract might be negotiated one issue at a time, but will be voted on as a whole.

stldude44 said:
Apo,
And I corrected you.......there's no such thing as Teamster law. The language might be the first issue they tackle before going on to wages, benefits, etc., but nothing will have to be voted on twice by the UPSF workforce.....the entire Contract might be negotiated one issue at a time, but will be voted on as a whole.
The Teamsters have been trying to organize Overnite for years & the drivers that I know want the same contract protection under the NMFA that the rest of us have.

If the men want to join the union & have the same contract protection as us then why can't the union organize them & then go to UPSF & demand that they sign the NMFA ?

UPSF is in the general freight business & their workers do exactly the same work as YRC & ABF. Why can't they have the same contract if the men want it?

No I don't have an agenda here. . I am sure that there are reasons why all these negotiations are being done. Can anyone explain why ?

I was pointing out to Apo that the normal way to negotiate is to hammer out the language first, since it's usually the hardest part.

If the UPSF workforce unites and speaks loud enough I see no reason why they can't have the NMFA. But they need to make their feelings known loud and clear now, and not just on this Board but at Halls and Union meetings everywhere around the Country. In other words, get involved now! Every UPSF worker who cares at all about their future should make a call to their Local Union and the International Monday and demand NMFA if that's what you want. How many will actually do it? You guys, and only you guys, have the power to get exactly what you want, but it won't come by wishing and hoping. It will take action on your part to let UPSF and the Teamsters know exactly what you want and that you won't settle for less. Are all of you up to it? The time is NOW!

stldude44 said:
I was pointing out to Apo that the normal way to negotiate is to hammer out the language first, since it's usually the hardest part.

If the UPSF workforce unites and speaks loud enough I see no reason why they can't have the NMFA. But they need to make their feelings known loud and clear now, and not just on this Board but at Halls and Union meetings everywhere around the Country. In other words, get involved now! Every UPSF worker who cares at all about their future should make a call to their Local Union and the International Monday and demand NMFA if that's what you want. How many will actually do it? You guys, and only you guys, have the power to get exactly what you want, but it won't come by wishing and hoping. It will take action on your part to let UPSF and the Teamsters know exactly what you want and that you won't settle for less. Are all of you up to it? The time is NOW!
stldude With all due respect to you and again I say that I don't have an agenda here, can you please answer me this. Why would the men even have to ask the Teamsters to get them a NMFA contract ?

General freight already has the NMFA in place. Thats what we all fought for to get Overnite the protection of our contract

I doubt that any Overnite/UPSF workers asked the Teamsters to organize them and then to go and negotiate a whitepaper contract for them.

2631 said:
stldude With all due respect to you and again I say that I don't have an agenda here, can you please answer me this. Why would the men even have to ask the Teamsters to get them a NMFA contract ?
Not being involved in making these decisions, I have no idea why. Like the rest of us, I'm just watching it all take place. All I can say is that if the UPSF workforce is united enough they can get what they want. Do you disagree with that?

stldude44 said:
Not being involved in making these decisions, I have no idea why. Like the rest of us, I'm just watching it all take place. All I can say is that if the UPSF workforce is united enough they can get what they want. Do you disagree with that?
Yes I agree but the key word is united and thats a big IF
I'm just scratching my head as to why the carrot (NMFA contract) that the Teamsters have been dangeling in front of Overnite for years is now being replaced with a whitepaper contract now that UPS is involved.

Long days said:
What is meant by `the language``
Language is just that......language, or the agreed upon wording of all the rules and conditions in the Contract.....it's referred to as "the language of the Contract". You'd be surprised at how one or two words can lead to different interpretations of an otherwise simple to undestand sentence.

If UPS Freight was allowed to have their part in the already established NMFA,there would be no need for language, outside of a few local issues.
Thats why I was so puzzeled at this info meeting our terminal workers attended.
It seems like the Teamster want us to join up,but they don't want us to have the same contract that all the other Teamster union LTL freight companies have?

Thats why I left this meeting dumbfounded.
I told my co-workers that something really fishy is going on.

But most of them didn't seem to care what was said.
Most of my co-workers are younger than me,and have never worked outside of non-union companies,so they don't have a clue about what the NMFA is in the first place.

They just say we should get the union,when they don't know what they really want?

Apostolic said:
Thats why I left this meeting dumbfounded.
I told my co-workers that something really fishy is going on.
But most of them didn't seem to care what was said.
Most of my co-workers are younger than me,and have never worked outside of non-union companies,so they don't have a clue about what the NMFA is in the first place.
They just say we should get the union,when they don't know what they really want?
Apo, It sounds to me like your younger co-workers know exactly what they want.....real job protection and fair conditions....all through a signed Contract that must be abided by......what could be wrong with that?

Just that they couldn't care less about the contents of the contract.
They just want what they want,and want the union to be there for them.

Some of my co-workers that want to be unionized so bad.
Would have been long gone, if we were union,for all the mess ups they've done,with only a scolding from my TM.

With a union theres a process of write ups,than bye,bye if you can't get it right.
So what I'm saying, these workers don't have any idea of how the union,and companies work.