XPO | Unique Driver Training Schools Surpass 500 Graduates

Merdock I have to disagree with you when it comes to our training program,when we started here you had to have five years verified experience and for good reason.Con-Way thinks they have reinvented the wheel when it comes to training but its nothing new,Schneider had one of the best training facilities in the country and shut it down due to cost of wrecked equipment and the money invested to train.It only stands to reason that a new driver is gonna have bumps and bruises along the way to gaining experience,pulling doubles with a single axle tractor is not the place to start for most people,with our new accident policy alot will wash out before they even get started unless Con-Way implements a special policy for newbies and that would be par for the course.

The schools are producing safe drivers. I don't have the numbers in front of me but those graduating from the program are safer than those hired off the street with experience during the same time frame. And our program has no comparison to "Truck Driving Schools". Our program is all about training individuals to be successful within our company. Over the road schools are all about getting a piece of paper that allows the graduate to go co-drive with an trainer for peanuts instead of a paycheck.

The schools are producing safe drivers. I don't have the numbers in front of me but those graduating from the program are safer than those hired off the street with experience during the same time frame. And our program has no comparison to "Truck Driving Schools". Our program is all about training individuals to be successful within our company. Over the road schools are all about getting a piece of paper that allows the graduate to go co-drive with an trainer for peanuts instead of a paycheck.

Dissagree with you here Con~way has More drivers that come from off the street whom have worked at this company many many years decades are the best of the best and they were not Trained by Con~way I have seen countless student drivers crash and burn and countless leave after there yr or two was up and go elsewhere to drive and yes we do still have some student drivers working for us whom are great drivers is it worth the cost Bottom line >??

Well Im sure it has benefited the company in some manner Im not sure its the staggering results they would like others to believe !!

Your post is right on the money,but some people just refuse to take off the Con-Way blinders.
Dissagree with you here Con~way has More drivers that come from off the street whom have worked at this company many many years decades are the best of the best and they were not Trained by Con~way I have seen countless student drivers crash and burn and countless leave after there yr or two was up and go elsewhere to drive and yes we do still have some student drivers working for us whom are great drivers is it worth the cost Bottom line >??

Well Im sure it has benefited the company in some manner Im not sure its the staggering results they would like others to believe !!

How can you say that then, if you do not have the numbers in front of you!!!! i know for a fact, that out of our terminel this last quarter we have three wrecks, and ALL three came out of our driving school!!!!! I think it is a GREAT injustice to the drivers and the public to put these new Kids behind the wheel of doubles and with winter coming up .....well time will tell, they should pay their dues and get a driving job hauling rocks and then go with a LTL company, I know when i was hired CCx would not even look at you unless you have 3years. I guess no cares no more, I just hope the GRADUATES have their winter driving skills honed so when it is real bad out and all the seasoned drivers take off they can handle it!!!! Yappy new year and God Bless us all!!!!

your timeline does not fit this arguement. The first graduates of the current school program were around June of last year.

many, many years... leave after their one or two years?
what I said was; "The schools are producing safe drivers. I don't have the numbers in front of me but those graduating from the program are safer than those hired off the street with experience during the same time frame"

your timeline does not fit this arguement. The first graduates of the current school program were around June of last year.

many, many years... leave after their one or two years?
what I said was; "The schools are producing safe drivers. I don't have the numbers in front of me but those graduating from the program are safer than those hired off the street with experience during the same time frame"
So you guys are arguing over numbers and %.....Nothing can substitute for experiance:coffee1:

So you guys are arguing over numbers and %.....Nothing can substitute for experiance:coffee1:

and what if experience is not available?

or, as an employer in this industry, what experience do you target?

LTL experience is not available. A recent article in a trucking magazine stated that the turnover rate in the truckload sector was above 80% for the third quarter of 2011. The same time period showed less than 10% turnover in LTL. The definition of turnover was further explained as persons within a sector moving to another employer to better their position within the industry. Drivers at LTL carriers are not moving around looking for better opportunities.

So, back to your point... experience is a great thing. But these days with experience comes personalities and behaviors. And in the current market the company school program has proved itself by producing safer drivers based on crash statistics of all individuals hired within the same time period. And this success has lead to the company investing in a 4 week accelerated training program focusing on Class B operators and Military experience.

Hey, I beleive you Kool-aid-aholoc.... I think nothing can substitute for experiance and you get what you pay for....Meaning, maybe if con-way upped their pay and benifit package maybe you would get better applicants? It used to be minumum 2 years OTR so guys had been out there driving in all weather conditions and had some knowledge of what is going on. I remember the first time I ever really took notice of doubles was when I come up on an ABF and his trailer's were all over the place. So I ask him what was going on and he said I have a set of empties and that wind pushes them around, thats's why they call them "wiggle waggon's". I said I would never pull those things and he started telling me how much he made and was home every day and off on weekends. Sh!T, I'm in the wrong kind of truck driving and I was just over my 2 years and headed straight for LTL companies as soon as I could. So I'm just saying I beleive what your saying about the program and I like your posts so don't take it personally, but if con-way wanted to get driver's with experiance I think they could.:coffee1: