Yellow | Ups Seeks Exemption For Training On Double Trailers

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ups-seeks-exemption-for-training-on-double-trailers

kqFNUzS.jpg

Exemption would apply to approximately 1,000 UPS driver trainees per year. Credit: Jim Allen/FreightWaves

:6792:

could see this coming. They can't hire drivers so there gonna train them off the platform.
Question is, Do you trust UPS (Or for that matter any company using twin/triples to train these people the correct way?

could see this coming. They can't hire drivers so there gonna train them off the platform.
Question is, Do you trust UPS (Or for that matter any company using twin/triples to train these people the correct way?

UPS has a very long history of promoting from within. They have always had a policy of training package handlers/package car drivers on trailers, nothing new here. They have always had an excellent training/safety policy with their drivers.

Did the Christmas elf thing back in 08 during the layoff. Didn't care that I worked at Holland or anywhere else.
Was taught the brown way of doing things. Their training is excellent and yes a lot of package car guys and girls who never sat in a big truck are trained locally by dedicated trainers. Do it the brown way and only the brown way. Seems to work well for them.

In addition, because the company uses both conventional and double trailers in its 20,000-vehicle long-haul fleet, and requires all of its approximately 26,000 long-haul drivers to be qualified to operate doubles, the exemption “will ultimately make for a smoother and safer transition to tractor trailer driving for those UPS associates who express an interest in being promoted to such a role,” UPS maintained.

What is a UPS associate? I thought they were union employees

UPS is not doing Mountain training for all the team drivers they are hiring

They start them with valley training then flat training followed by hill training and then finally work their way to mountain training. All good, not to worry.

When I first started driving, I had a friend that was a package car driver. They trained him to be a feeder driver, that was in 1979.

UPS used to train sorters/package car drivers who wanted to get their TT CDL and put them to work on trailers before hiring from the outside. Don't know for sure if that's still the policy.