TForce | UPS Won’t Guarantee Benefits After 2013

Dockworker

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
Information from TDU

I'm not very knowledgeable in this department. Does anyone know if UPS Freight is effected or just the UPS Parcel/Feeder that were part of the Central States Pension prior to the pull out?

On January 1, 2008, UPS transferred some 44,000 full-time Teamsters out of the Central States Pension Fund, and into a new UPS-only pension plan........

But if you retire after that, all bets are off. It all depends on what is bargained in the 2013 contract. This illustrates a major problem: the UPS pull-out weakened the Central States Plan, but UPS Teamsters are still dependent on it for a large portion of their pension benefits.

UPS Won’t Guarantee Benefits After 2013

The Teamster Pension Divide

Comparison of Pension Benefits for UPS Teamsters

that does' effect any of us, as overnite employees we were not in the central state pension and as ups freight employees we are in a company backed pension.

Some will say were better off by not being in a teamster pension which I agree, it's best for us but not for the collective union.

that does' effect any of us, as overnite employees we were not in the central state pension and as ups freight employees we are in a company backed pension.

Some will say were better off by not being in a teamster pension which I agree, it's best for us but not for the collective union.

I hope you meant doesn't.

If this doesn't pertain to us, I'm going to move it to the UPS Feeder or UPS Parcel side of our forums.

yes, I meant doesn't
(fat fingers), Of course ups is not gonna guarantee benefits of the central states pension fund that is why they pulled there employees out of it and gave the union a couple of billion dollars, this is a scare tactic from the TDU to get members attention.

Who this does effect are the employees of other companies who are still in that pension at one time it sounded like a good idea but now since companies are going bankrupt and not paying into it there is less and less money going into it. I read an article where the union did not use the money that ups gave them (billions) and spent it on other things instead of shoring up thepension fund.

read the last sentance... they want Hoffa out.. the way I understand the contract, UPS Freight employees retirement plan is fully funded thru UPS and not the Teamsters !! by the way ... most drivers at our sevice center signed last week (local 355 ) thanks

read the last sentance... they want Hoffa out.. the way I understand the contract, UPS Freight employees retirement plan is fully funded thru UPS and not the Teamsters !! by the way ... most drivers at our sevice center signed last week (local 355 ) thanks

Was your terminal one of the stand outs?
What was the turning point to finally sign?
Did you get the 50+1?

Thanks for the reply Dockworker... Yep , we are one of the last hold outs.. I guess it came down to , who we trust the least ?? ... It's not the big "O" of old anymore... this nittpicking stuff is getting old ... there's no one in our corner ... WE have drivers between 10 and 35 years of service, most on the high end.. we just don't trust UPS mgt..in my opinion, they don't have the replacement drivers in freight like small pkg has ( part timers waiting for thier turn ) it just doesn't make sense to treat people this way !!

Thanks for the reply Dockworker... Yep , we are one of the last hold outs.. I guess it came down to , who we trust the least ?? ... It's not the big "O" of old anymore... this nittpicking stuff is getting old ... there's no one in our corner ... WE have drivers between 10 and 35 years of service, most on the high end.. we just don't trust UPS mgt..in my opinion, they don't have the replacement drivers in freight like small pkg has ( part timers waiting for thier turn ) it just doesn't make sense to treat people this way !!

Congrats to you.
I guess this is just testament from you and from all those UPS Package and Feeder drivers who have chimed in in the past stating, "If you want to work for Brown you need to be organized...PERIOD."

Do you guys have a steward in mind?
Here is a great post from one of our members named elvis.
Qualifications for shop steward.

Thanks again Dockworker...I'm glad I found you guys here.. being an old city driver, we don't get much news from other terms like the road guys do... I did meet a great bunch from DC a few mouths ago ( 8 hours in a Toyota mini van was nuts )... great picture on the cover of the UPS Teamster mag....

Thanks again Dockworker...I'm glad I found you guys here.. being an old city driver, we don't get much news from other terms like the road guys do... I did meet a great bunch from DC a few mouths ago ( 8 hours in a Toyota mini van was nuts )... great picture on the cover of the UPS Teamster mag....

Half of what you hear from road drivers are not true and the other half is exaggerated.

..hey hey..only time you really know a driver is telling the truth is when he starts with "Hey you aint going to believe this $hit....."

..kinda like "Once upon a time..."