ABF | We must view and discuss every Article. ABF TEAMSTERS ONLY!

Section 2. Probationary and Casual Employees
(a) Probationary Employees
(1) A probationary employee shall work under the provisions of this
Agreement, but shall be employed on a trial basis as provided for in
each Supplement.
(2) During the probationary period, the employee may be terminated
without further recourse; provided, however, that the Employer
may not terminate the employee for the purpose of evading this
Agreement or discriminating against Union members. A probationary
employee who is terminated by the Employer during the probationary
period and is then worked again at any time during the next
full twelve (12) months at any of that Employer’s locations within
- 11 -
Article 3, Section 1
the jurisdiction of the Local Union covering the terminal where
he/she first worked, except in those jurisdictions where the Local
Union maintains a hiring hall or referral system, shall be added to
the regular seniority list with a seniority date as of the date that person
is subsequently worked. The rules contained in subsection (a)
(2) are subject to provisions in the Supplements to the contrary.
(3) Probationary employees shall be paid at the new hire rate of pay
during the probationary period; however, if the employee is terminated
by the Employer during such period, he/she shall be compensated
at the full contract rate of pay for all hours worked retroactive
to the first (1st) day worked in such period.
CDL-qualified employees hired into driving positions who are not
currently on the seniority list at an NMFA carrier and who for two
(2) or more years regularly performed CDL-required driving work
for a commonly-owned NMFA carrier shall be compensated at 90%
of the full contract rate of pay for a period of one (1) year and go to
the full contractual rate thereafter, provided they have not had a
break in service in excess of three (3) years.

(4) The Union and the Employer may agree to extend the probationary
period for no more than thirty (30) days, but the probationary
employee must agree to such extension in writing.

This Article will have to be addressed since ABF will be given a separate contract.And the NMFA will no longer be.

Brother Muler, change "NMFA" to "Union" and eliminate the words "commonly owned". Just say Union.

(6) Any casual employee who declines regular employment shall be
terminated without recourse and will not be used by the Employer
for any further work.
(7) a. Casual Employment
The Employer agrees to give first opportunity for work as a casual
employee to those CDL-qualified employees on layoff at a commonly-
owned NMFA carrier. This obligation shall apply only at
terminals located within the jurisdiction of the employee’s Local
Union.
The Local Union will furnish Employer with the names,
addresses, and telephone numbers of those laid off employees interested
in casual work opportunity and the job each employee is qualified
to perform. Where applicable, casual employment may not be
offered to laid off employees under this provision ahead of preferential
casuals, nor shall this provision supersede an established
order of call in a supplemental agreement.

This Article MUST be rewritten to protect ALL ABF TEAMSTERS! It should read any ABF Teamsters on letter of layoff will be eligible too transfer to terminals that have work. Keeping their seniority for vacations purposes only. All transfer opportunities should be offered in their company seniority order

Brother Muler, We lost a grieva
nce at the Eastern Regional Panel trying to transfer a laid off employee to another terminal using casuals 25 miles away. They hired 10 casuals off the street, and our employee still isn't working full time. One of the worst travesties of Union justice I saw in a while. We must give laid off employees precedence WITHIN THEIR REGION to transfer in ahead of casuals/preferred casuals. The transfer language must allow laid off employees a continuous chance to work instead of a once-in-6-months window that ABF took egregious advantage of to hire off the street around a laid-off ABF employee. They offered our man a position in a terminal 600 miles away from his home...on the bottom of the board...no recall rights, and when he turned it down, they HIRED 10 guys right off the street at a terminal 25 miles away. Said he had no more rights for the next 6 months. Maybe it was (barely) within the "letter" of the contract, but with a little subterfuge, they defeated the intention of the transfer language, which was to keep existing Union employees working. We need more protection from employer subterfuge in this language.

On the way down now to our contract proposal meeting. I've got 35 pages of proposals...surprisingly, more in the Master than in our Supplement. Thank you, Brother Muler, for some very good suggestions! This is a great idea to pass along proposals....coast to coast.

Brother Muler, We lost a grieva
nce at the Eastern Regional Panel trying to transfer a laid off employee to another terminal using casuals 25 miles away. They hired 10 casuals off the street, and our employee still isn't working full time. One of the worst travesties of Union justice I saw in a while. We must give laid off employees precedence WITHIN THEIR REGION to transfer in ahead of casuals/preferred casuals. The transfer language must allow laid off employees a continuous chance to work instead of a once-in-6-months window that ABF took egregious advantage of to hire off the street around a laid-off ABF employee. They offered our man a position in a terminal 600 miles away from his home...on the bottom of the board...no recall rights, and when he turned it down, they HIRED 10 guys right off the street at a terminal 25 miles away. Said he had no more rights for the next 6 months. Maybe it was (barely) within the "letter" of the contract, but with a little subterfuge, they defeated the intention of the transfer language, which was to keep existing Union employees working. We need more protection from employer subterfuge in this language.
I do blame ABF for such behavior but let's not forget the Local that allowed this to happen to a Brother. If the Local had pressed the matter ABF would have transferred him I believe. But you are right we can take all the questions out just by changing the language in the contract. After all we are the only voters for the first time in our careers. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Brother Muler I appreicate all the time you spent on this my question is why wait until the week before Christmas to start negotiations? so that they can talk for a week and then call a rcess for 3 weeks until after the new year?!!

Brother Muler I appreicate all the time you spent on this my question is why wait until the week before Christmas to start negotiations? so that they can talk for a week and then call a rcess for 3 weeks until after the new year?!!
I agree it does sound like money thrown down the sewer. Why meet before ABF gives us their proposal? A waste of money by the IBT. Another thing I would like to point out is that not many of these union people attending will be ABF Teamsters they will be the same people that according to the TEXASS TURNCOAT OVERWHELMING VOTED TO ACCEPT THE yrc BEG BACK PLAN! Is this the same people we want deciding for us? We should have our stewards there instead of people that are no longer going to be in the same contract as us. I feel it will be a violation of our rights to have non barging people deciding our contract. Please contact your Locals and let them know we want our people at these negotiations not people who don't belong. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!