XPO | Weight and Inspection

bhenning

TB Lurker
Credits
Just curious.

There seem to be a lot of Weight and Inspection jobs open all over the country at Con-Way.

Anyone know what happened?

[quote author=bhenning link=topic=81923.msg845814#msg845814 date=1278874766]
Just curious.

There seem to be a lot of Weight and Inspection jobs open all over the country at Con-Way.

[/quote]

Stay away from them...they are the first thing to go.

Just ask Jerrie who used to work W&I at XCO...now at FedEx Freight in Columbus.

Rat

[quote author=bhenning link=topic=81923.msg845814#msg845814 date=1278874766]
Just curious.

[/quote]You were part of the original "down-sizing" weren't you? At that position?

You would think that Conway would keep these people around because of the additional revenue they bring in for the company.

[quote author=cmsdock link=topic=81923.msg845944#msg845944 date=1278896562]
You would think that Conway would keep these people around because of the additional revenue they bring in for the company.
[/quote]that may not be the case

[quote author=cmsdock link=topic=81923.msg845944#msg845944 date=1278896562]
[/quote]
You used a word there that doesn't apply to upper managment any longer just like the words Common Sense You used the word Think

Two years ago, there were almost 200 inspectors. Then Black Friday hit in December of 2008 and a lot were 'let go.'
Since then, their number has slowly been growing. This past January there were about 120 when they took about 40-50 of those and made them 'supervisors' over the remaining inspectors. That left about 60-70, right now there's probably about 80, give or take 10.

These people do find money, but the geniuses at GO think that, 'more inspectors=more revenue', which isn't the case.
I suppose, like anything, their number is a cyclical thing, that will vary over time.

It is true that they do find revenue for the company. I think most FACs have at least one, and some as many as three of four.
I don't know why they'd ever eliminate an inspector. Most pay for their own salary by February, at the latest, and everything beyond that is pure profit for the company.

But, as someone said above, looking at it with common sense is beyond GO's capability.

the inspector at the fac in fontana is real creepy looking, with his fanny pack and his sneaking up behind you while youre breaking a trailer to measure your freight.

i always think that he's going to get run over

[quote author=cmsdock link=topic=81923.msg846477#msg846477 date=1279018991]
I have been trying for over a year to get into a w&i program with any company.
[/quote]

I've a couple of little awards with Con-Way on them.

One of them says "2007 Work Horse Award" presented to XXXX XXXXXXXXX for highest corrections per day average.

The other one says "2007 Work Horse Award" presented to TEAM LDA for highest corrections per day average.

[quote author=cmsdock link=topic=81923.msg846477#msg846477 date=1279018991]
I have been trying for over a year to get into a w&i program with any company.
[/quote]

Only an absolute idiot would want to be a W & I inspector. I just left and went back to a different position. The goals were bumped to an unreasonable and unachievable number. How can a person go to work every day knowing 100% for sure that they are going to fail?

In addition there is almost no chance of promotion unless you are two feet up your manager’s rear end and love the smell of the crap that is dealt daily. Job performance and productivity have no impact on promotions.

Customers have stopped shipping with Con-way due to repeated corrections. Others have corrected their BOLs so there is not an opportunity for corrections. Still others have had changes in the pricing to eliminate corrections. These factors have increased the company’s revenue but nobody cares. All they want is so much revenue every day.

Other carries have worked to educate customers and get them to do proper paperwork that will not open them up to corrections. The Con-way focus is to continually hit the customer with corrections. This does nothing but upset them. Especially when the customer passes along freight charges based on rate quotes.

I realize that this posting will **** off TPTB, but it is my opinion based on my observations. I have tried to discuss this with the managers and was told to correct freight and generate revenue.

This is my opinion and does not reflect the policies or procedures of Con-way.

Well I respect your opinion but its something that interests me and I plan to keep on looking for something. But thanks for your out look.

[quote author=Geezer link=topic=81923.msg851059#msg851059 date=1280072024]
Only an absolute idiot would want to be a W & I inspector. I just left and went back to a different position. The goals were bumped to an unreasonable and unachievable number. How can a person go to work every day knowing 100% for sure that they are going to fail?

In addition there is almost no chance of promotion unless you are two feet up your manager’s rear end and love the smell of the crap that is dealt daily. Job performance and productivity have no impact on promotions.

Customers have stopped shipping with Con-way due to repeated corrections. Others have corrected their BOLs so there is not an opportunity for corrections. Still others have had changes in the pricing to eliminate corrections. These factors have increased the company’s revenue but nobody cares. All they want is so much revenue every day.

Other carries have worked to educate customers and get them to do proper paperwork that will not open them up to corrections. The Con-way focus is to continually hit the customer with corrections. This does nothing but upset them. Especially when the customer passes along freight charges based on rate quotes.

I realize that this posting will **** off TPTB, but it is my opinion based on my observations. I have tried to discuss this with the managers and was told to correct freight and generate revenue.

[/quote]

This is what heppens when a company becomes more inwardly focused as opposed to directing it efforts towards increasing the core business.

Con-way has long abandoned its core business objective...moving LTL freight.

It has become an enterprise obsessed with numbers. It has become a house of useless programs...rules...and non-performing ideological endeavors. Constantly refusing to see the real and devastating crux of the issue...the company as a service providing LTL carrier sucks!

You hear it from the SCMs...the AEs...the FOSs...you even read it in the DSR newsletter.

Damages are thru the roof...service is at an all time low.

So what to do?

For the most part nothing is being done...just maintain the status quo as your competition circumvents your postition in the market.

So what is the next wonderful morale boosting and revitalizing initiative?...

LSS programs to grade drivers...now there is an interesting development.

Morale is at an all time low...now they want to 'grade' the drivers on performance criteria set by the palace.

Where does it end?

Nothing more than blind ignorance...completely out of touch with reality. The whole of the business is passing them by and all they care about is numbers...customers be damned.

The CEO and the president of the LTL end need to go.

They have no idea in hell what it will take to rebound the company...the current line of BS ain't getting it!

Rat

[quote author=Geezer link=topic=81923.msg851059#msg851059 date=1280072024]

[/quote]

Wow... Maybe a few things on this one...

Maybe you are an idiot since you originally JOINED them...
Maybe you are like most people who dont like CHANGE and dont like to be held accountable for their actions??

sorry to hear that you felt like you were set up to FAIL 100% of the time you came to work...I dont know much about the insepction job so this is just my opinion...
How could you fail???? Depending on your location.. How many shipments pass through your area? How many were you required to look at? I would think that many locations have nearly 1000 shipments and a resonable person could at least look at 80-100 shipments and verify if they are correct.. Maybe I am wrong since I am not familiar with this but dang, you look at how many shipments on a dock at any given time and I think.. "There is one to look at"..

You must just be ONE of the MANY Bitter people that did not like change... Please explain.. Like Isaid, I am retired adn dont know how it works, but it just sounds like a MONKEY could look at inspections....

[quote author=trubluestang link=topic=81923.msg851996#msg851996 date=1280280823]

Maybe you are like most people who dont like CHANGE and dont like to be held accountable for their actions??

sorry to hear that you felt like you were set up to FAIL 100% of the time you came to work...I dont know much about the insepction job so this is just my opinion...
How could you fail???? Depending on your location.. How many shipments pass through your area? How many were you required to look at? I would think that many locations have nearly 1000 shipments and a resonable person could at least look at 80-100 shipments and verify if they are correct.. Maybe I am wrong since I am not familiar with this but dang, you look at how many shipments on a dock at any given time and I think.. "There is one to look at"..

You must just be ONE of the MANY Bitter people that did not like change... Please explain.. Like Isaid, I am retired adn dont know how it works, but it just sounds like a MONKEY could look at inspections....
[/quote]

as mentioned earlier.... I have not been here long, but I have been visiting the site for a while... MAybe you are JUST a BITTER OLD special ret@rded / sorry "retired" ex employee that is NOT in touch with current standards??? Just a thought!

[quote author=trubluestang link=topic=81923.msg851996#msg851996 date=1280280823]

[/quote]

[quote author=upspd3 link=topic=81923.msg852014#msg852014 date=1280282026]
as mentioned earlier.... I have not been here long, but I have been visiting the site for a while... MAybe you are JUST a BITTER OLD special ret@rded / sorry "retired" ex employee that is NOT in touch with current standards??? Just a thought!
[/quote]

What kind of an idiot do you think I am ... quit arguing with yourself ... bye :tribe:

[/quote]dang, shuuddent you be wittlin a piece of wood or sumthin??

[quote author=Baffled1 link=topic=81923.msg852691#msg852691 date=1280446443]
Think! Not a word anymore at con-way freight
[/quote]Ok, we're all Baffled1 now. hahahaha