XPO | what did you think of dougs video?

The video was real interesting and to the point , safety is the key to anyones success if you choose to retire in this business , i just hope these drivers realize that they are going to have to slow down a little bit and think before an accident occurs . But on the other hand I think this is just a smoke screen for a little while until these accidents slow down and then it will be right back to the same old thing !

Winner! winner! chicken dinner! Or on the third hand it will be business as usual because how in the world are we going to move this freight with all of this out of service equipment? I mean for years I've seen FOS pull red tags off of equipment and tell guys to drive it or else. This is suddenly going to stop and we are magically going to do what we should have been doing in the FIRST place instead of just being all talk and no action where safety is concerned? I'm all for safety and VERY interested in seeing if this is real or just more BS. I haven't seen the video yet but I'm really interested in seeing it now.

i remember my first day on the job with con-way, walked in, introduced myself to a few dsr's waiting on thier nightly dispatch, one dsr ask the fos who the new guy was going with and the fos said he is taking truck ___-____ and going to xsw. No training period, fly by the seat of your pants. Most stressful 90 days of my life, but its true. Thats con-way safety for ya and that was 2 years and 3 months ago. I have no faith in there safety moral at all. I mean seriously they have a 16 hour rule check box on the logs and use that to thier advantage often to cover vias. I believe the video was heart felt but Doug is out of touch with reality. We should be pointing out unsafe things that "We" as drivers see. How many times have you been close to dispatch and the fos said 20 is your lead 4 is your tail, get out there to hock and niether is closed? RUSH RUSH RUSH but dont screw up, your fired, you guys see it every day but not a word said about it..... I know we are all greedy but what is safe about working a guy 2.5 hours on the dock at the fac and making him drive a total of 450+ miles with a via after a 10 hour break from the same **** the night before and the night before that. As sad as the story is about the school bus, how would the story go if it was a con-way driver using his 16 hour rule and fell asleep behind the wheel?
Trucking companies have been operating like that for years. Nothing you said is illegal and there are drivers whom do it because they like the money.. and they don't have any problems doing it..sounds likeyou need to get out of the LTL business. If you can't handle the work, it may not be safe for you or us.

safety. the 16 hour rule is only for adverse conditions not to deliver freight period. a half brained lawyer would attack con-way and also come after the drivers 401k, savings, college funds, etc. they do that anyway but using the 16 hr rule would be even more ammo. my scm dosent even give us a choice.
The extension of the 11 hour driving is for adverse conditions..you can use the 16 once a week. But not both together.

Even though we are not supposed to use this 16 hour rule ' it happens all the time for the convenience of the company.
A lot of new drivers don't know any better so when some jack off stupid visor tells these guys 'oh It will be all right just use your 16hr rule and bring it on in .. It happens and these trucks keep Rollin ! Now on safety, the Dallas drivers are forced to work 14 hours a day or real close to it , these guys drive over 500 miles a nite and then forced onto the dock every extra second they have and at the last minute .. Go Go Go... you have to hurry and get that trucks back so the a.m driver can leave . These drivers look like walking zombie's and I really don't know how they pull this off everyday without a major accident! All this safety around here is not REAL SAFE !!
convict, those drivers bid on that run. They are not forced to do anything. They bid back to the city when they so choose. (The next bid of course)

Winner! winner! chicken dinner! Or on the third hand it will be business as usual because how in the world are we going to move this freight with all of this out of service equipment? I mean for years I've seen FOS pull red tags off of equipment and tell guys to drive it or else. This is suddenly going to stop and we are magically going to do what we should have been doing in the FIRST place instead of just being all talk and no action where safety is concerned? I'm all for safety and VERY interested in seeing if this is real or just more BS. I haven't seen the video yet but I'm really interested in seeing it now.
I'd like to see it too.. they need to buy all freightliner s and sell the sterlings.

it applies to driving an example would be if you came in and worked 13 hours in the dock you could only drive one hour for your 14 total. on the other hand they can make you drive 11 and work an additional 10 on the dock and that would not be using the 14 hr rule. it only applies to driving after 14 hours.

You're not locked into anything. The fact that your pension is frozen frees you up. Nothing will be contributed whether stay or go. Whatever is in your pension already is vested, and isn't going anywhere. You can go to that dream job with the company funded pension anytime, and take your 401k with you.

And go work the bottom of the board somewhere, praying for a run just like the guys at the bottom do here. There comes a point when no matter how fed up you are, you have to stay because of how much you'll lose if you walk. I love it how you guys spout off with "if you're not happy, just leave!" It's a lot more complicated than that. Then it becomes an issue of how much you're willing to put up with before it drives you off your chump. That's no way to work, but we've got lots of boys in blue doing it every day.

Trucking companies have been operating like that for years. Nothing you said is illegal and there are drivers whom do it because they like the money.. and they don't have any problems doing it..sounds likeyou need to get out of the LTL business. If you can't handle the work, it may not be safe for you or us.

Sorry if you misunderstood my post, im not trying to state any illegal actions by the company. Im sticking to the point of safety and what i feel and see as unsafe actions. Doug said in his video that we all are personally vested in safety with this company and should speak up when we see unsafe actions. Im just posting my two cents worth.

16-hour exception
An exception, commonly called the short-haul exception, is available to drivers who normally return to their work reporting location . A property-carrying CMV driver may extend the 14-hour on-duty period by 2 additional hours once every 7 days if he or she:
➤ Has been released from duty at their normal work reporting location for the previous 5 duty tours;
➤ Is released from duty at his or her normal work reporting location within 16 hours after coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty; and
➤ Has not taken this exemption within the previous 6 days, except following a 34-hour restart
of a 7/8-day period .
I always thought it was weather-related, oops.
Doesn't make it any safer, though.
Just sayin'...

Sorry if you misunderstood my post, im not trying to state any illegal actions by the company. Im sticking to the point of safety and what i feel and see as unsafe actions. Doug said in his video that we all are personally vested in safety with this company and should speak up when we see unsafe actions. Im just posting my two cents worth.

well, maybe I need to see the video. But working 2.5 hours with the addition of a 450 turn, is not a lot of work. That's just about an 11 hour day. make you over 300 a day and still have time to go grocery shopping. 12 hour day actually.. all total

I'm sure you misunderstood my post so this is not directed at you, that being said, I feel that personally attacking ones point of view on safety or belittling ones common belief is why we have so many incidents. Case in point, i was at a FAC one night seen a dsr trying to pull a bundle of steel with a blue strap (weve all seen it), i stepped up and said if that blue strap breaks that metal clasp could fly back and hit the dsr, needless to say i was called everything in the book and to mind my own bussiness.. i'm sure you misunderstood my post about safety because i'm sure if you didnt misunderstand me you would have not made comments such as "they don't have any problems doing it..sounds likeyou need to get out of the LTL business. If you can't handle the work, it may not be safe for you or us." My point is, disrespecting ones view on safety will not make con-way any safer.

And go work the bottom of the board somewhere, praying for a run just like the guys at the bottom do here. There comes a point when no matter how fed up you are, you have to stay because of how much you'll lose if you walk. I love it how you guys spout off with "if you're not happy, just leave!" It's a lot more complicated than that. Then it becomes an issue of how much you're willing to put up with before it drives you off your chump. That's no way to work, but we've got lots of boys in blue doing it every day.

You can't have everything. If you find a company that will give you all the benefits and working conditions you want, you may be better going to the bottom of their board.

I haven't seen it yet. Here's my problem with it. Why should I care about some millionares problems. He or any of the people at Ann Harbor cares about me or my problems. My heart goes out to his family but they XGO don't need to shove it up our a$$'s. There is already enough up there. I need to wear my No Vacancy Full underware again. Hea, maybe I should make a video about my problems and send it to him. I can start it out that I have no more pension and he has a golden parachute!
i think some folks in ann arbor have some compassion for us peons my mother passed away recently an i got some hand written condolence cards from some pretty high up people in this company makes one feel a little better anyway

The 16 hour rule is not for adverse conditions, it's for those times that the night is long and you get 2 extra hours to complete your run.Use mine nearly every Friday night after taking a nap on the way in.Use it some during the winter when needed.Don't confuse "adverse weather" extension with 16 hour rule.
my safety man tells me the extension is not used for driving time only for dock work breakdowns etc it does not extend driving time beyond 11 hours the adverse weather rule is different it will allow you 2 more hours to drive if the run can normally be run in 11 hours

some of you should be ashamed of yourselves for real,burying one of your children is at the absolute top of my list of horrible things that can happen to an adult.period.i havent seen this video yet,but im pretty sure if i had been thru the same thing and then had to make a video about it and relive it to try to convey a message to the drivers of this companyand it invoked this sort of response from a few heartless pricks,i would find them and fire them immediately.this is the united states of america and also the land of oppotunity and just bcuz he is the ceo of a large company doesnt make his tragedy any easier to cope with had any of us been faced with the same tragedy.so if you hate this place so much pack up your things grow a set of balls and walk out.

Awkward. In re-reading the thread I don't get any sense of hostility from the posts. A few posts gave me the idea people were upset that he would use something like this, in this way.

But safety is a name after all. Been a number for a while. And we all know it is only a matter of time before our number is up.

One day we will no longer work here. One day we will pass.

Live every moment as your last.

some of you should be ashamed of yourselves for real,burying one of your children is at the absolute top of my list of horrible things that can happen to an adult.period.i havent seen this video yet,but im pretty sure if i had been thru the same thing and then had to make a video about it and relive it to try to convey a message to the drivers of this companyand it invoked this sort of response from a few heartless pricks,i would find them and fire them immediately.this is the united states of america and also the land of oppotunity and just bcuz he is the ceo of a large company doesnt make his tragedy any easier to cope with had any of us been faced with the same tragedy.so if you hate this place so much pack up your things grow a set of balls and walk out.

How can you comment on something you've not even watched?

Doug was not forced to "make" this video. He chose to do so. He put himself on the pedestal. He was not forced to do so.

I find it quite interesting that you would "find and then fire" people that live in the U.S.A. and can speak freely on whatever they want, when they want (maybe read the First Amendment) and then you follow that up with,
"this is the united states of america and also the land of oppotunity and just bcuz he is the ceo of a large company doesnt make his tragedy any easier to cope with had any of us been faced with the same tragedy"

I guess we know who you'll be voting for in November.