TForce | What happened to start time in the city??

falcon465

TB Lurker
Credits
Here at my barn we haven't had a start time in the city for about a year and a half now. We are told to call in at seven thirty every morning. Is this like that everywhere???:chairshot:

In GVL we have about 15 drivers that have 0900-0930 start times, the rest of us are on a call by need basis, but usually start by 1000-1100 each day and work untill 8pm

I'm out of RCH#126 we lost our regular starting times just after we were rebranded this year.
We used to start at 8AM,except for the top 2 or 3 with senority came in for appoinment deliveries.
But now the majority of the city drivers in my terminal start at 10AM unless they'er called in earlier to deliver appointed freight before they do their routes.
Mondays are the exception.
Most of us start at 8AM all the routes are loaded,early because the freight is there over the weekend.
Monday evening there is names,and appoinment times as well as the consignees, posted with the top drivers names listed.
Everyone else comes in at 10AM the rest of the week unless they are called the next morning to fill an appoinment that a top driver couldn't make for one reason,or another
I've got one above me in the city so I usualy have my name posted for a morning appoinment,before my regular route.

There are days that I may have an appoinment run late,and I can't do my route,so they have one of our newbes fill in.

Today I had to finger print 681 tires that was a ground unload at a tire wholesaler.
I got done to late to do my route.
I came back for a one stopper on a pup.
Than ,I made pickups the rest of my day after I emptied out.

For me the no starting time is something I can deal with, but the drivers under me sometimes don't even see 40 hour weeks coming in so late in the morning.
Thats the LTL trucking buisness.
Although I think the union companies are the same way?

It looks like the lack of starting times for city drivers isn't system wide after all?

Being that we are city drivers and are only aware of whats going on in our local terminals if it wasn't for these truckingboards we would never know what is a company policy,or these rules are coming from our own terminal managers to meet their local operating goals.

Now that this thread has started where are we with this starting time issue?

Is it something UPS Freight has in place,or is it coming from our own local TM's?

Although either way,what can we do about it?
We can only do our jobs,and get our pay checks,grin,and bear it.

It's unreal that the boss would allow you guys to lose the first 2 or 2 1/2 hours of the morning delivery time....that's not serving your customers very well at all.

It's unreal that the boss would allow you guys to lose the first 2 or 2 1/2 hours of the morning delivery time....that's not serving your customers very well at all.

Here at UPSF, its not about the customers, its about...........well we don't really know!! You'll just have to refer to the thread regarding the "Big Picture" to get your answers. :biglaugh:

Here at UPSF, its not about the customers, its about...........well we don't really know!! You'll just have to refer to the thread regarding the "Big Picture" to get your answers. :biglaugh:

Well its surely not about the driver in any way shape or form

Except for mondays when the the inbound freight comes in over the weekend,every other day of the week our inbound arrives late,which puts the whole city operation late.
Now that my TM doesn't want us drivers helping to break out our deliveries from the outbound trailers.
Its up to the inbound dock crew to break out all the route deliveries and load us up.
So by the time the route trailers are about ready to go out.
The TM figures thats the time most of the route drivers that aren't in early doing appoinments,can clock in.
Now I'm second from the top on the city list,so as a rule I have a floating start time.
Theres only a few appoinment loads every day.
So the top driver always has an early start.
Most of the time I also start early,but I have come in to hit the clock at 10AM with everyone else.

In my opinion our whole inbound system needs to be changed.
Where do you start?
Well I say shorten the route areas.
We can make our deliveries,and pickups,getting back to the terminal earlier for the outbound crew to get the outbounds loaded,and going down the road.
This would also cut down on the road driver delays.
If everything can start running earlier,this would be very good for everyone.

After we were rebranded most of us city drivers were really hoping that UPS was going to take a good look at our system of moving freight,and magicly straighten everything out.
But we know thats not happening.
Other LTL freight companies have better systems in place,why can't we get with the program?

Apo,
I'd be willing to bet that things will change in time, and for the better. UPS isn't going to allow a sloppy operation for too long....but these things, as most things in freight, take time.

Yeah I know your always telling me things take time.
Like the UPS Freight contract barganing talks that have gone to the table,around the first of September this year?
Everything important takes time,at the first of the year it will be four months,a quarter of a year?
Oh my time sure flys.
the older you get the faster it seems to go by.
But I do have to say your a good guy, and you have lots of patience with me,stldude44.

I can't remember how many times you've already reminded me of everything taking time?

it can't be about the customers because they don't have any.....maybe its about a tax write off because upsf is a sorry excuse for a freight company...

Guess you work for FedEx......now that's a real good company.....bet your retirement is worth alot....that's right...you don't have a retirement!:hysterical:

I thought everyone on the UPS Freight forum knew that webidiot was an X-Motor Cargo employee,that due to his good fortune,he's now a valued UPS Freight worker.
He along with the rest of his UPS Freight co-workers are working for a global company with one of the worlds most well known brands.

We are UPS Freighters,yip,yip,hurray if we can't deliver it ,no-one can.
Am I right,or am I right webidiot?

gm and ford are good brands cf was a good brand. so what if you can not deliver to your customers or give the employees the wages and benefits they require then it does not matter...I guess you like standing around and not getting paid, maybe you like having your bid disregarded and made a casual....ups can go out of business just like the thousands before them that throught they had a brand that everybody wanted dhl and fedex can do the same thing ups can and do it better apparently.

The purpose of the boards are to get information out to the people.....not to argue with .....I'm done.....thanks though...