ABF | What Happened To This Company?

The answer to that one is the Pension Fund rules. I don't know how it works outside of Central States, but under the Central States Pension Fund, you are not allowed to work any Union job and draw your pension until you are 65 or older and have been retired for at least one year. Even then, you are required to inform the fund for approval before you start working a Union job and drawing your pension. If you don't follow their rules, they will cut off your monthly pension.
Up our way they just increased the hours because they can’t find anyone, I will find out what the hours are....

Hey does Ben Dover work at your barn. He signed everything put in front of him at for15 years or so at one of my barns. Guy was a real clown used to drive the TM nuts.
Never heard of a Ben Dover before. He could be a road driver or shop employee here though. If they are not in the city/dock classification, I only know most of them by face only.

Up our way they just increased the hours because they can’t find anyone, I will find out what the hours are....
Used to be the NYS Teamsters would only allow you to work 39.9 hours a month if you are retired....that got changed a few years ago to 1000 hours a year...I think....pretty sure on that number but not positive

The answer to that one is the Pension Fund rules. I don't know how it works outside of Central States, but under the Central States Pension Fund, you are not allowed to work any Union job and draw your pension until you are 65 or older and have been retired for at least one year. Even then, you are required to inform the fund for approval before you start working a Union job and drawing your pension. If you don't follow their rules, they will cut off your monthly pension.

At 70-1/2 if you still want to work while collecting a pension you can work as many hours/days as you would like. Since the IRS requires individuals to start taking pension payments (except under certain circumstances) the funds can no longer restrict anyone from working.

CSPF-1.md.jpg

CSPF-2.md.jpg
Von, this is straight from my CSPF booklet. As you can see, you must jump thru multiple hoops for re-employment after you start drawing a pension from the CSPF.
Kind of sad the union makes it hard for retired rank & file to work for the very company they made profitable & ensuring the company will survive well in to the future. I understand somewhat the pros & cons. But, that is the way the cookie crumbles. von.

I think you're in central penn, and last I heard, you could work up to 100 hours a month. All you want so long as the job doesn't require a CDL. Just don't quote me lmao

Why is it ABF won't hire retired or current teamsters. Especially for the dock. A new hired manager has no clue how to run a freight dock. Not to say he can't learn, but a well seasoned dock man might make a good supervisor. All ABF cares about is the numbers. And with a good freight man the company would be way ahead of the game. Lafayette, IN used to have 3 drivers a office clerk & 1 TM. The rank & file ran the place while the TM was out making sales calls all day. And it worked. OP ratio was usually around 90, much lower than other barns. von.
On occasion, after a couple of glasses of my favorite whiskey, I think about returning to ABF as a casual. But I can’t until I turn 65 and the Suspendible Employment rules no longer apply. The SINO (Steward In Name Only) that I worked with is still there, so that would create an interesting work dynamic, as he is part of the reason I left. Plus the fact I witnessed him run off two casuals that WERE old LTL freight guys and knew ‘the biz’ thoroughly, but called his shiz on a number of issues. Which, in turn, brought on the proverbial crosshairs. The third casual that worked for us was doted on (weenie routes, no dock work, left at or before 4pm regardless of what was left to be done, etc.) because him and the SINO got along well. And then I pull myself awake.......