FedEx Freight | What happened?

steercrazee

TB Veteran
Credits
What happened to Fed Ex Freight? They used to be one of the premium companies you would try to aim at get hired on at. I remember trying but there was like a waiting list back in the day. Fed Ex Freight or U.P.S and you would be set for a career and possibly retire early. Now it seem every carrier is about the same and has their own short comings. I see the ads for contractors all the time hiring for Fed Ex but have heard some bad stories about people getting so called rail roaded by some of them so i personally dont trust them. Any ways was just thinking bout when i first got into trucking and how it is now. I remember in trucking school the trainer telling us put your time in and if you can get on at a Fed Ex a U.P.S or Yellow you can have it made. My how times change.

Contractors are whole different game. You can land with a good one or a bad one.

As for FedEx freight, they do just enough to be in line with everyone else. The main goal is the operating margin. When I started working here, it floated at about 8 or 9 percent and the unachievable dream was 10%. COVID happened and I think the lowest we've seen since then is 17%. They know it's achievable now, so by any means necessary. They can only charge customers so much and they can't control costs like fuel, equipment and parts so they come after the compensation package of employees.

FedEx freight is also the most profitable company Fedex owns. Express and ground have been struggling for years and freight has been flourishing. They're trying to make express/ground more profitable by merging the two, but that remains to be seen. There's always how that they'll back off freight cuts if express/ground start pulling their weight, but that's a pipe dream.

I wish more employees would vocal about their displeasure. FedEx makes it very easy to contact the people the run the place, but everybody is always waiting for somebody else to do it. "Do nothing, complain about everything".

Shortly after I quit Fx they were already having to hire whomever applied.
In contrast to a literal pile of applications a decade prior.

Last I heard, they were hiring straight off the street for a BID run, and still couldn't get anyone to apply.

Yes, FxF has nothing to offer anyone that every other LtL carrier doesn't.
Pay is smack in the middle, but with terrible med "benefits"

Everyone I still talk to there is just riding it out for a few more years till retirement. No new generation coming up behind them.

Contractors are whole different game. You can land with a good one or a bad one.

As for FedEx freight, they do just enough to be in line with everyone else. The main goal is the operating margin. When I started working here, it floated at about 8 or 9 percent and the unachievable dream was 10%. COVID happened and I think the lowest we've seen since then is 17%. They know it's achievable now, so by any means necessary. They can only charge customers so much and they can't control costs like fuel, equipment and parts so they come after the compensation package of employees.

FedEx freight is also the most profitable company Fedex owns. Express and ground have been struggling for years and freight has been flourishing. They're trying to make express/ground more profitable by merging the two, but that remains to be seen. There's always how that they'll back off freight cuts if express/ground start pulling their weight, but that's a pipe dream.

I wish more employees would vocal about their displeasure. FedEx makes it very easy to contact the people the run the place, but everybody is always waiting for somebody else to do it. "Do nothing, complain about everything".
So, post some contact info!

Take this for what's worth....
We got a Express / Ground delivery the other day. I was sitting in the kitchen and the driver knocked on the front door as she stood on the - ALL DELS TO BACK DOOR PLEASE. Mrs. S. goes and knocks on the window and wavers her back around. She looks at me , I go to the door and asked her what it says on the package and front unsafe door stoop that she was standing on. As said PLEASE DEL AT BACK DOOR. Mrs. S. is standing there behind me as I am looking her over I say new uniforms , they look nice , she says (Yea not Yes). I ask you been there long ? (No 6 months) Do you like it ? (No) Why did you choose FDX ? (It was easy to get into.) Will you stay ? (No) Was the application easy to fill out with little reading skills ? (Huh ?) Nevermind get moving driver , be safe and thank you. There's the main reason we avoid FedEx even if it's a couple bucks more. This was a expensive med for us and needed to be signed for she had no clue nor confirmed. We called the vendor to tell them we got it and STOP deliveries from FedEx PLEASE ! ! ! BTW - we canceled the same day in the afternoon to another company and no FDX - problem solved and $16 bucks saved.

So, post some contact info!
ANY company computer will hook you up. Under employee lookup type a name. It will pull up contact info for that person AND give you the name of their immediate supervisor.

If you're not sure, type you own name. Keep clicking on immediate supervisor (or similar term) and THAT will take you through the entire chain of command, ending with Raj. Corporate ID numbers, email addresses, and all that.
:popcorn:

PS It used to end with Fred Smith - employee # 1.

Last edited:
Shortly after I quit Fx they were already having to hire whomever applied.
In contrast to a literal pile of applications a decade prior.

Last I heard, they were hiring straight off the street for a BID run, and still couldn't get anyone to apply.

Yes, FxF has nothing to offer anyone that every other LtL carrier doesn't.
Pay is smack in the middle, but with terrible med "benefits"

Everyone I still talk to there is just riding it out for a few more years till retirement. No new generation coming up behind them.
Estes medical is marginal as well. There is nothing special about. Its better than nothing, but for a company so big i dont see how they couldnt do better. Ive worked for smaller companies that had better insurance

We got a Express / Ground delivery the other day. I was sitting in the kitchen and the driver knocked on the front door as she stood on the - ALL DELS TO BACK DOOR PLEASE. Mrs. S. goes and knocks on the window and wavers her back around. She looks at me , I go to the door and asked her what it says on the package and front unsafe door stoop that she was standing on. As said PLEASE DEL AT BACK DOOR. Mrs. S. is standing there behind me as I am looking her over I say new uniforms , they look nice , she says (Yea not Yes). I ask you been there long ? (No 6 months) Do you like it ? (No) Why did you choose FDX ? (It was easy to get into.) Will you stay ? (No) Was the application easy to fill out with little reading skills ? (Huh ?) Nevermind get moving driver , be safe and thank you. There's the main reason we avoid FedEx even if it's a couple bucks more. This was a expensive med for us and needed to be signed for she had no clue nor confirmed. We called the vendor to tell them we got it and STOP deliveries from FedEx PLEASE ! ! ! BTW - we canceled the same day in the afternoon to another company and no FDX - problem solved and $16 bucks saved.
I have gotten stuff delivered from them and amazon and they will leave in the water on the porch instead of sitting on the chair or storage box that is dry and cant get wet on the porch. I always get a little weary if its raining and there is a delivery because the chair and box is right there but they will throw it on the water on the porch. No common sense or they just dont care.

Slammed her nuts in the car door................Fine work Smoke. :lmao:

Sadly my Dr. Hookman It went right over her head.
I was looking directly at her eyes thinking there is
possibly no gray matter function here. She looked
quite mystified by the simple questions I asked.
She was probably trying to figure out what just had
been asked and why ? The unit had numerous side
swipes down the visible side. Kinda sad to see really.

200.gif

What happened to Fed Ex Freight? They used to be one of the premium companies you would try to aim at get hired on at. I remember trying but there was like a waiting list back in the day. Fed Ex Freight or U.P.S and you would be set for a career and possibly retire early. Now it seem every carrier is about the same and has their own short comings. I see the ads for contractors all the time hiring for Fed Ex but have heard some bad stories about people getting so called rail roaded by some of them so i personally dont trust them. Any ways was just thinking bout when i first got into trucking and how it is now. I remember in trucking school the trainer telling us put your time in and if you can get on at a Fed Ex a U.P.S or Yellow you can have it made. My how times change.
Retire early? Whaaaat?😂😂😂😂

I have gotten stuff delivered from them and amazon and they will leave in the water on the porch instead of sitting on the chair or storage box that is dry and cant get wet on the porch. I always get a little weary if its raining and there is a delivery because the chair and box is right there but they will throw it on the water on the porch. No common sense or they just dont care.
they just don't care

I don't get on here hardly at all anymore. But when I do I am amazed at how bad it seems to have gotten. I left in 2014. Most of the time I don't regret leaving but I do miss driving and having fun with other drivers on the road. I would be at 20 year with another 20 or so to go and I don't know that I could put up with some of the things I have seen on here.
When I hired in there hundreds of applications that you got lucky to get a part-time dock job. I got lucky they restarted the driver apprentice program a few months after I started. At that time hardly anybody quit the company. Now most of the drivers I ran with on the road have all quit and gone to other LTL's. Our benefits were awesome and cheap.

I don't get on here hardly at all anymore. But when I do I am amazed at how bad it seems to have gotten. I left in 2014. Most of the time I don't regret leaving but I do miss driving and having fun with other drivers on the road. I would be at 20 year with another 20 or so to go and I don't know that I could put up with some of the things I have seen on here.
When I hired in there hundreds of applications that you got lucky to get a part-time dock job. I got lucky they restarted the driver apprentice program a few months after I started. At that time hardly anybody quit the company. Now most of the drivers I ran with on the road have all quit and gone to other LTL's. Our benefits were awesome and cheap.
they went woke...............fast